Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NSX vs Cayman GT4 and F355 Autocar 21 October 2015 - Matt Saunders

the only car that compares with the NSX is the Audi R8. look at it as a natural progression Honda should reproduce it and do it better.

the new NSX dosnt in my mind capture the essence. Too much technology not enough je ne sais quoi.

Quote Originally Posted by marknsx View Post
    the only car that compares with the NSX is the Audi R8. look at it as a natural progression Honda should reproduce it and do it better.
    From what I've read that's what they've done ...
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Fenn View Post
    I think where people (i.e. 'fan boys') can get carried away is thinking their car is an equal match, even if it's a ropey 15 year old car with 100,000 miles. I have driven many a rough NSX because owners haven't spent enough money maintaining important suspension components or have the wrong tyres. With the car now bordering on being an investment, i hope owners are giving their NSX's the attention they deserve!
    Agree with this 100% - the "best" (sic) NSX in the country probably is a subjective* match for the best the modern market can offer, sub-£100k.

But a lot of our cars are old and leggy, and need to be driven with a modicum of sympathy - I did a track evening at Donington in the summer, my first proper trackday in the NSX, excluding the two NSXCE trips, and I found myself driving to the car's limits (brake and engine temps, typically) rather than my own, which is the opposite of the way I've been driving hired Caterhams on track, and actually more considered than the way I drove my first (near-new) DC2 on track. A 991 Cayman-S was there and was (slightly) quicker in a straight line, rolled less in the corners, and braked harder - like it or nor a stock NSX isn't a trackday toy!!!
    (And note my car has had an 'engine refresh' and was running uprated pads and new dampers, among other refurb'd items, so leggy but hopefully not 'tired')

I think the article IS written from a biased perspective...but everyone, even (esp.) journos, have biases, and that some people consider the NSX to still occupy that rarefied atmosphere IS high praise. Not everyone will, but not everyone did first time around, and not everyone agrees what the best cars are today, so that's irrelevant...

* Ary and the others are right - objectively our car is bettered by some hot hatches nowadays...the nature of progress in brakes, tyres and suspension tech more than anything else.
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

5. Default

In fairness, the limitation versus modern cars is tyres. The new Cayman has 235/265 section tyres, which is good for braking, acceleration and turning! Ultimately if you strapped a set of wider Michelin Cup 2s on an NSX, you'd have an appreciably quicker car.

The advantage an 'old' car like the NSX has is that it is relatively small and light these days. As a result, it's light on consumables so i would argue not an expensive car to run on track (unless you crash it).
    '02 Honda NSX [Garage Queen]
    '17 Huracan Performante [Weekend Car]
    '19 Porsche Macan [Daily]

For those who didn't see the original Autocar report, the Daily Fail err... Mail have done their own test using the tried and tested 'cut and paste' technique ans here it is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-3346082/Would-buy-65k-Porsche-Cayman-GT4-classic-Ferrari-Honda-NSX.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123