Thread: bleeding brakes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default bleeding brakes

since my car is a 96 i believe i have the 2nd gen abs system. ive replaced the brakes and fitted a set of kaz spec goodridge hoses (perfect fit btw). i would like to bleed the system completely, whats the procedure for this? or should i just bleed the system in the same manner as every other car on the planet??

Blog Entries

Unless you have upgraded the ABS to the latest one body solution, just follow the old school textbook method of bleeding first at the furthest corner from the master cyl.
    If you own the RHD model, then that would be in the order of RL – FR – RR – FL.
    The hyd system between the ABS and the Main brake is separated from each other and never get mixed unless there is a problem.

Hope you didn’t empty the master cyl while working on the callipers as it will take ages to bleed the air.

If you are re-using the master cyl and using the old method of pressing down on the brake pedal for bleeding, never floor the pedal.
    Make sure to prevent the pedal from travelling any further than the normal usage.
    You can put something behind the pedal to limit its travel.
    You could destroy the piston seals (inside the master cyl) if your cyl bore has already created a step due to millions of pedal stroke.

If replacing the master cyl, highly recommended to bench bleed it first.
    Otherwise, as mentioned above, it will take ages getting rid of the air from the hyd system.

As a side note, on some of the modern cars, you can’t even bleed the brake system without activating the ABS modulator.
    For later spec NSX with one body ABS or any NSX upgraded to the later spec, the ABS is part of the main brake system and thus, only one hyd system for both unlike the classic ABS.
    For the NSX with one body ABS, best not to follow the old textbook method and instead, bleed from the front side to save the time and fluid.

Kaz

3. Default

so there is no way to bleed the abs pump?? it conflicts with my ocd to leave old fluid in there.

Quote Originally Posted by larjammer View Post
    so there is no way to bleed the abs pump?? it conflicts with my ocd to leave old fluid in there.
    This is good info on ABS flushing.

http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/brakes/abs/abs.htm