Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran
After trying to get Toyo Proxies for a month (last December) I gave up and got a set of Kumho Ecsta, without knowing anything about them. This may seem risky, but the Yokohama's were showing wire so.......!! 6 months on 5,000 miles, a half track day, and I am very impressed. ok I did take off half the toe out on the fronts, which has improved tire life heaps. In the wet they are very good, and very predictable. On the track, (my first in the NSX, Mondello - just outside Dublin), they were very balanced, ok two quick spins in the first session, but no fault of the tires or the TCS (which was off, and really must be to get the best from the car on track). But in the latter sessions, when I learned to take two laps to warm front AND rears and leave the 4x4 brigade off, I started to have some real fun, again they grip very well and are very balanced, which means you can have lots of fun with the trottle. I will certainly be going for them again next time. oh and for anyone interested 225/45/16 and 255/40/17
Hi Guys, given I started this little hare, I thought I should let you know what I ended up doing. Firstly, on the door stop of my car and in the handbook (late 2000 model) it states the tyre sizes as 215/45x16 front and 245/40x17 rear - not sure where the 205 fronts (on 16") came from? Also, having listened to what others had tried, I ended up going for the Honda recommended Yokohama A 022s. They definitely give a harder ride on the road than the Dunlops and I’ll have to wait to see how they perform/wear on my next track day (Brands Hatch). Incidentally, I did Snetterton last time out with a race driver as a coach and we both found the standard set-up (i.e. straight out of the showroom spec) set-up immense! The only change I’m going to make is harder pads (Ferodo DS2500), dot51 brake fluid and Mobil1 oil (15-50). Having danced all round the Elises and Caterhams, I can assure everyone that we don’t need big wheels or bigger brakes to be a track day hero. Guest that Mr Senna knew something about cars after all… I’ll post again after my next track day. Cheers.