Thread: Nsx - can bus?

Default Nsx - can bus?

I know UK NSXs do not have a regular OBD2 connector but I'm sure they must use the CAN BUS protocol.

Mine is a 1998 NA2. Question is, if they do have CAN, does anyone know where I can locate the CAN lo and hi wires??
    Not another NSX project!
    Porsche 997 GT3
    Porsche 981 Boxster S
    BMW E46 M3
    1998 NA2 Midnight Purple Targa Manual - Gone - to Thailand
    1999 NA2 Kaiser Silver Manual Track Car - Gone - and found its true destiny on the race track
    1992 NA1 Sebring Silver Coupe Manual -
    Gone (although still in my showroom in storage)

Blog Entries

Hi, drmikey.

Our NSX doesn’t use CAN. It’s a serial comm. based on the K-Line, ISO9141-2.

For UK NSX, it has the OBD2 connector from around 2001 model.

For European model, OBD2 only came in around 2000/2001 model so you won’t find the OBD2 connector on your NSX.

CAN was mandatory on the cars manufactured from around 2008 but our NSX stopped the production well before that.

For your year model, you may find 3pin connector next to the blue 2pin SCS one at the passenger foot well area which may carry the K-line signal but I have never monitored it using the oscilloscope so can’t confirm this.

By the way, CAN protocol is good for monitoring but can’t be used for timing critical control because the real baud rate randomly changes so may not be suitable for your purpose.

Kaz

Thanks Kaz, very useful.

Its not for anything engine critical, just for monitoring certain functions (rpm etc..)

I think there are analogue to CAN or k-line to CAN converters but will have a look

Cheers

mike

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    Hi, drmikey.

Our NSX doesn’t use CAN. It’s a serial comm. based on the K-Line, ISO9141-2.

For UK NSX, it has the OBD2 connector from around 2001 model.

For European model, OBD2 only came in around 2000/2001 model so you won’t find the OBD2 connector on your NSX.

CAN was mandatory on the cars manufactured from around 2008 but our NSX stopped the production well before that.

For your year model, you may find 3pin connector next to the blue 2pin SCS one at the passenger foot well area which may carry the K-line signal but I have never monitored it using the oscilloscope so can’t confirm this.

By the way, CAN protocol is good for monitoring but can’t be used for timing critical control because the real baud rate randomly changes so may not be suitable for your purpose.

Kaz
    Not another NSX project!
    Porsche 997 GT3
    Porsche 981 Boxster S
    BMW E46 M3
    1999 NA2 Kaiser Silver Manual Track Car - Gone - and found its true destiny on the race track

Blog Entries

For rpm monitoring, there is a service connector inside the engine bay at the right side.
    Not exactly what you are looking for but many people uses ELM327 for OBD signal related tasks.

Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    For rpm monitoring, there is a service connector inside the engine bay at the right side.
    Not exactly what you are looking for but many people uses ELM327 for OBD signal related tasks.

Kaz
    Just playing with some new kit I have - uses the CAN signal unfortunately!

BTW did you get my last email, I know we were having email problems? I need to ask you about a CCU unit fix for me!
    Not another NSX project!
    Porsche 997 GT3
    Porsche 981 Boxster S
    BMW E46 M3