Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Chassis Re-fresh

Default Winter Chassis Re-fresh

I'm hoping people will be able to see this thread of my winter re-fresh, as this seems the only way I can share the photo record. I started last October, mainly just cleaning the underfloor and replacing anything broken, worn or in the case of steel parts, rusty. I'm not finished yet, just waiting for a few parts to arrive from Japan and then after a coolant change, the rebuild can commence. I'll add further pics,as I progress.

Please ask any questions.

https://goo.gl/photos/zwWVhENC98rw84rb8
    Wix

That's a lot of rust. Besides painting I'd put a thin coat of Gurulan PX11a (Vaseline + 10% bee wax, can be bought or mixed by oneself) on the parts that are prone to rust (except brakes of course).

It looks worse than it is. I think lack of use and left outside by previous owner, allowed all the steel parts to get this rusty. Surprisingly, they've all cleaned up ok. I use Vactan and POR15 paint from Frosts. Any rust treatment that's required, I then use Dinitrol.

Thanks for the tip of Gurulan PX11a, I'll look into it.
    Wix

What did you use to clean the spare wheel holder? I have got mine out at the moment so would be a good opportunity to give it a good clean.

I used an assortment of wire brushes in an electric drill to clean most of the crud off. I then use wire wool, to take most of the shine off. All depends on what, if any, finish you want. I just wanted it cleaner than it was.
    Wix

6. Default

Pretty standard rust I think on a used car of that age. Cleaned up well!
    Formula Red NA2
    Imola Orange NA2
    Yellow NA2

Cheers, nice job.

It seems like I can now upload pics, thanks to the forum upgrade over the weekend, so here's some updates on progress.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3263.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	12877
    Oil cooler top plate wasn't the best, so I've replaced whole unit. Changed the hoses and rear coolant pipe, as they were both showing their age and corrosion. I understand now why Kaz has said in one of his posts, this is a long and fiddly job.

Name:	IMAG3273.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	12878
    Rear engine mounting was split, which probably explained the clutch judder. Took some aligning to get the centre bolt through, the engine must have shifted slightly on it's mountings, so it was out of position. I had to loosen all the other mountings and carefully jack the gearbox end up slightly to get it aligned. I've left them all loose, ready to torque them all up, now I've found the correct sequence.

Name:	IMAG3291.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	12879
    Box of new bits awaiting fitment, mainly replacement fixings and brake caliper pistons.

Name:	IMAG3271.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	12880
    Finally some new shiny bits to go on.

Name:	IMAG3306.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	12881
    Wix

And one actually fitted.

Name:	IMAG3309.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	12882
    Wix

Quote Originally Posted by wixer View Post
    And one actually fitted.

Name:	IMAG3309.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	12882
    Looks good mate 👍, what make and model are they???
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast