Page 17 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: NSX Health Check Service

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoofWeatherstrip01.JPG 
Views:	344 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	6541 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoofWeatherstrip02.JPG 
Views:	339 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	6542
    Originally, we agreed to deal with just the roof weatherstrip but after start working on it, I thought it would be best to look after the entire weatherstrip so decided to apply silicone grease not only to the driver side roof area but also the front/rear sections as well as around the doors.

Name:	Weatherstrip01.JPG 
Views:	337 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	6543 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weatherstrip02.JPG 
Views:	333 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	6544 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weatherstrip05.JPG 
Views:	327 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	6545
    Now they look much better and the owner was very happy with the result when driving back to home after collecting his NSX from my place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    ..............to look after the entire weatherstrip so decided to apply silicone grease .................Now they look much better .............
    Hi Kaz,

I have the Honda lubricant for the rubber trims. Is this simply a case of massaging it into the weatherstrips sparingly? Do you apply any additional sealer / material apart from the grease please?

regards,

Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post

Hi, NSXGB.
    I knew you will be after this information. I'll send you the detail over the email once I have proper photos. You'll need proper tools as you need to take out the compliance pivot which means that you will be disconnecting the two ball joints at the pivot. You must use the proper tool and not the cheap ones.
    Thanks Kaz.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Hi Kaz,

I have the Honda lubricant for the rubber trims. Is this simply a case of massaging it into the weatherstrips sparingly? Do you apply any additional sealer / material apart from the grease please?

regards,

Paul
    Hi, Paul.

There are several know-how involved for Targa model.
    The key is to treat the hook/channel at both side of the forward section of the roof. Otherwise, you will get squeeking noise under vibration.

You'll also need to apply the silicone grease not just on the visible surface but also hidden section. Be careful with the roof weatherstrip as there are several adhesive tape used on forward/rearward section and you don't want to peel them off.
    After applying the grease, I normally leave it overnight and then wipe off the excess.

The Shin-etsu silicone grease that we used to be able to get from Honda garage is no longer available in UK. It was replaced with Honda brand and they are super expensive. Still, worth the money for the brake calliper service... I now get it directly from Japan as well as using the products from Dow Corning.

Regards,
    Kaz

Blog Entries

Back to the Yellow Targa NSX....

4. Main Relay

All of the owners who took my Main Relay service will have their original parts re-soldered so that it can be used for emergency spare for other owners.

I received several requests regarding how to replace the Main Relay so would like to share this info with you.
    When the Main Relay fails, you can still crank the engine with the starter but there will be neither fuel nor spark and thus, the engine won’t fire up.

Depending on whether your NSX is equipped with DBW or not, the location of the Main Relay is different. Don’t worry even if you don’t understand the word ‘Drive By Wire – DBW’ model. The first interior panel that you need to remove is the same for both DBW and Non-DBW model.

[Edit: Parts No. Info.]
    39400-SL0-003: For non-DBW model
    39400-SL0-A01: For DBW model

Name:	DBWvsNonDBW-MainRelay.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	324.2 KB 
ID:	6546
    The Main Relays for DBW and Non-DBW model. Although the number on the case is different (0101 vs 0152), the internal circuit board and the parts are the same. The bracket is different between the two. Also, on the relay inside, you can see the Year number on it. The internal relay was upgraded during early 90’s. Originally, it had coiled spring inside the relay module but later it was replaced with the spring plate.

Name:	MainRelayPosition.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	6547
    When you sit on the right side seat, the Main Relay on Non-DBW model is located just behind your Left shoulder. For DBW model, it is behind your Right shoulder and thus, you will need to remove extra interior panel.

Name:	RearUpperTrim.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	6548
    First, you need to remove the Rear Upper Trim. There are three clips at the top and one sharp needle like pin located at the left top side of the trim. There are several metal hooks at the bottom. Using both hands, first push down the top side of the trim and then pull it gently towards your body and lift it up to release the hook. The upper trim will come off.

Name:	NonDbwMainRelay.JPG 
Views:	496 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	6549
    Now look for a small black box behind the left shoulder of the right side seat with the label as ‘RELAY ASSY, MAIN RZ-0101’ on it.
    It is next to the big silver box (EFI ECU).

If you can’t find it, your NSX is DBW model and requires extra panel to be removed.

If you found the Main Relay, you can replace it with new one by removing just one fixing bolt on the bracket and two connectors at the bottom. You may struggle to access the connectors but if you remove the fixing bolt, it will provide you with extra space allowing you to access the connectors.
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 20-04-2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Added [Edit:] section for parts no. info.

Blog Entries

On DBW model, you need the following extra procedures.

Name:	EngHatchOpener01.JPG 
Views:	355 
Size:	349.0 KB 
ID:	6551 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EngHatchOpener02.JPG 
Views:	334 
Size:	309.3 KB 
ID:	6552
    Remove the Engine Hatch Opener by gently removing the spring behind the lever. After removing the spring, just insert it back on the lever to avoid loosing it and you can just push in the lever against the shaft during the re-assembly process.

Name:	SideSillPad.JPG 
Views:	368 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	6553 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DoorTrim.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	6554 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RightRearSideTrim.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	6555
    Pull out the Fuel Filler Door Opener and lift up the Side Sill Pad.
    Remove the Door Trim and then remove three screws to lift up the Right Rear Side Trim.

Blog Entries

Name:	DbwMainRelay.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	6556
    The Main Relay on DBW is located just behind there. Unfortunately, the case with the white text is facing rearwards so you won’t be able to see it. Please refer to the photo.

Name:	Bolt.JPG 
Views:	388 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	6557 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CableMount.JPG 
Views:	351 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	6558 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TwoConn.JPG 
Views:	369 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	6559
    Remove the bolt and the cable mount and then the two connectors.

Name:	Installed.JPG 
Views:	376 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	6560
    Replace it with the new one. I always put the Month/Year info on the bracket for the future reference.

Put back the interior panels in reverse order and start the engine for testing.

If you want, re-solder the original Main Relay for emergency spare and again, write down the re-soldering Month/Year info on the bracket.

Job done.

Regards,
    Kaz

Blog Entries

5. Air Con (A/C) Climate Control Unit (CCU) and Cabin Air temperature sensor

The detail can be found in my other thread here;
    http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showth...?t=5940&page=5

Name:	CCU.JPG 
Views:	335 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	6580 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CabinTempBefore.JPG 
Views:	326 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	6581
    There were lots of leakage from the capacitors and I even had to replace one of the resistor to repair the board. The cabin temperature sensor was also very dirty and was making lots of noise.

After this service and the fix on the weatherstrip, the owner can now enjoy the sound of Vtec without the annoying noise under air conditioned environment. Of course, it is nice to take off the roof and enjoy the drive as well. One day, I would like to try it on UK road in the summer.

6. Driveshaft
    Ideally, it is best to service both Right & Left shafts at the same time. However, in order to deal with as many High priority items as possible, quite often, I recommend the owner to carry out the drive shaft overhaul only on one side (most of the time, the Right one) first and utilise the available budget on other areas.

Normally, I prepare the rebuilt driveshaft using my spares before the arrival of the owner but as I was too busy recently, I had to refurbish the very driveshaft from this NSX.

Name:	RightInnerJoint.JPG 
Views:	317 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	6582 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HeatShield.JPG 
Views:	336 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	6583
    As on many other NSXs, the Right side Inner joint was already leaking and splashing the grease around that area. It’s time consuming to clean it ….
    The heat shield was also covered in grease and lots of sand, grass, etc.

Name:	MilkyDRgrease.JPG 
Views:	335 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	6584
    The boot was opened and the grease was already broken down and run out like a melted coffee ice cream.

Blog Entries

As I always use the same procedure for Drive shaft overhaul to keep the same standard for everyone, each roller was also disassembled for inspection and re-packing of grease.

Name:	Roller03.JPG 
Views:	334 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	6585 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roller04.JPG 
Views:	314 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	6586
    Time consuming to plant each tiny roller bearing for each roller and there are three rollers on each joint.

Name:	RollerRebuilt.JPG 
Views:	304 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	6587 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DRrebuilt01.JPG 
Views:	333 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	6588 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DRrebuilt02.JPG 
Views:	343 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	6589
    Fit the roller on the spider, place them back in their original position at the joint and tighten the metal band.

Blog Entries

On the outer joint, the grease was not leaking but making some noise.

Name:	RollerScorchMark.JPG 
Views:	299 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	6590
    On inspection, two of the three rollers showed scorching marking on the internal wall. This is why it is important to have the drive shaft serviced regularly and I have already seen the same damage on several NSXs.
    Not many people will inspect the inside of the roller but just replace the grease and the boot for overhaul process.
    For this roller, the damage was still small and managed to smooth it out using the super fine oil stone normally used for the Japanese sword.

Name:	DRshaftBefore.JPG 
Views:	324 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	6591 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DRshaftAfter.JPG 
Views:	305 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	6592
    Before and After the drive shaft overhaul service. Both joints and the shaft were painted with high temp spec black with white line for the right shaft.

Name:	SpindleNut.JPG 
Views:	287 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	6593
    Installed the drive shaft, put back the wheel, torque the spindle nut and stake it.

Done.

Page 17 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast