Page 39 of 58 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: NSX Health Check Service

Thanks, Kaz, for your explanation. I was not aware that the oil pump was a weak point in the NSX. I thought that if Honda choose a rev limit of 8000 rpm the engine should be able to run at 8000 rpm all the time.
    It would be interesting to hear about the cases where it failed. Have these been stock or modified cars?

All these tales of various parts failing and causing catastrophic failure scare the hell out of me to the point I am almost frightened to drive the car anymore.I think I need to stop reading these threads.
    I tell people that I've now done one decent thing in my life. Albeit inadvertently.
    Larry David

'92 Red/Black
    RS*R Exhaust, DC Headers, SuperDuper LeMans AirScooper, Dali Stealth OEM Airbox Mod: Fujita Filter, OEM 2002+ GOLD calipers + 2 piece race rotors . . . take a breath . . . and finally Nitron one way adjustable suspension!

LOL!

i feel your pain!

to be fair to Kaz, he is GENUINELY making us all aware that even as great as these cars are and how they have been built, there is still things that need looked at. Plus our cars are getting on in years too. His posts are all PREVENTITIVE in nature, and it is up to the individual to make their own mind up regarding their car and what they should do.

my advice ... DRIVE IT and ENJOY IT!

Quote Originally Posted by nakamichi View Post
    All these tales of various parts failing and causing catastrophic failure scare the hell out of me to the point I am almost frightened to drive the car anymore.I think I need to stop reading these threads.
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

Blog Entries

It was so good to see some of the owners at Silverstone Classic last Sunday.

Thank you to the member 'nationofzeros' for coordinating us for the event and many others who contributed to make the display area tidy and comfortable with several refreshments and kettle as well.

Another member took my Health Check service in January and now it’s time to work on this delicate LBB painted 2003 NSX.

1. Driveshaft
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RightDRshaftBefore.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	7399 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PinBearing.JPG 
Views:	237 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	7400 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reassemble.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	7401

Name:	Painted.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	7402 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RightDRshaftAfter.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	7403
    Although it was fairly at low mileage (just over 50K miles), the drive shaft was already making light clicking noise when turning the wheels back and forth while the car was on the lift.

It is always best to service the right and left side at the same time, in order to use the available fund effectively to cover other crucial areas such as brakes, it was decided to service the right side only.

The internal wall of the rollers were fine but the grease was already started to break down and loosing viscosity resulting in clicking noise.

Still, much better than the ones being left without any services after loosing so much grease.

Blog Entries

2. Brake

Name:	DirtyCallipers.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	7406 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seized.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	7408 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pitted.JPG 
Views:	237 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	7405

Name:	FrontOH.JPG 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	7404 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RearOH.JPG 
Views:	245 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	7407
    This NSX looked to be serviced regularly but there was no sign of calliper overhaul in the past.
    Also, at one of the calliper, the pad was dragging against the disc so time for the complete overhaul.

Once again, the parking brake cable was seized to the lever at the calliper.
    One of the piston was pitted and not moving smoothly.
    The Front inner pad base plates were somehow corroded and locked inside the calliper spring plate.

After the overhaul, all of the pistons and sliders were moving very smoothly.

Blog Entries

3. Main Relay

Name:	MainRelay.JPG 
Views:	243 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	7411 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MainRelay02.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	7410
    By now, I hope most of the members on here are aware of this Main Relay issue.
    So, replaced with the new one and re-soldered the original one with conformal coating.

4. Bonnet lock

Name:	DirtyLatch.JPG 
Views:	239 
Size:	216.3 KB 
ID:	7412 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cleaned.JPG 
Views:	245 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	7413
    We struggled to open the bonnet due to lots of sand, debris, etc inside the lock mechanism.
    Thoroughly washed, then re-greased and now it operates smoothly.

5. Wiper blade
    This NSX had aftermarket blade but it didn’t fit well and by the time when the owner arrived at my place (in the rain), the driver side blade was almost dislocated from its original position.

For some reason, this specific OEM parts was cheaper than Japan even it’s coming from there so decided to place an order through HUK.

However, it’s out of stock and I won’t see it until the end of August.

In the meantime, I modified the installation method of existing one so that at least the owner can use it properly for a while.

Blog Entries

6. A/C Climate Control Unit (CCU)

Name:	CCU.JPG 
Views:	248 
Size:	256.7 KB 
ID:	7414
    Even on 2002 car, there were small capacitor leakages inside the CCU so decided to carry out the CCU service on this 2003 NSX. Still looked fine but always best to service it before damaging the circuit board.

7. A/C cabin temperature sensor

Name:	CabinTempBefore.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	7415 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CabinTempAfter.JPG 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	7416
    Another common phenomenon. Cabin temperature sensor with full of dust. You won’t notice it until it starts making squeaking noise.

8. A/C condenser fan
    During the Health Check, I noticed the Right side A/C condenser fan fuse was blown so replaced it with the new one but only to find blowing it again.
    So, there is either a wiring or fan motor issue causing the short circuit within the system.

I was hoping for the wiring issue as I didn’t want to remove any of the delicate LBB painted parts but unfortunately, it was confirmed as the fan motor internal short.

Due to the way the motor is mounted on the bracket, the workshop manual tells you to remove the front bumper but it can be done without doing so.

Name:	EngRoomCoolingFan.JPG 
Views:	238 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	7417
    Initially, I was hoping to get enough information from the motor manufacture so that I may be able to use this motor from engine bay cooling fan but due to the confidentiality agreement between the parts manufacture and Honda, they couldn’t tell me the motor spec.

Blog Entries

Name:	ACcondFan01.JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	7418 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACcondFan02.JPG 
Views:	246 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	7419 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACcondFan03.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	7420

Name:	NewMotor01.JPG 
Views:	226 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	7421 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewMotor02.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	7422
    I also thought about using the used parts but considering the risk of another failure and the price, we decided to go for the new parts.
    The screws holding the motor was completely corroded so had to be drilled out.
    After some juggling and using several combination of the tools, the condenser fan came out.
    The new motor and installed with the original fan blade.

Now the A/C operates more efficiently.
    Quite surprised to see the motor to die on fairly new NSX with low mileage.

Hope the owner is enjoying his LBB NSX under the nice British summer.

Regards,
    Kaz

Blog Entries

Default ACG overhaul

Hi, all.

Name:	Before.JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	7423
    As my NSX is 16 years old with over 127K miles, I wanted to overhaul my ACG.

About 30 years ago, there was a kind of general consensus in Japan that ACG should be replaced with rebuilt one after 60K miles but since then, the durability and the mechanical design of ACG improved a lot and thus, my ACG survived such a long time/distance.

I checked my ACG
    about 2 years ago or 11K miles before and the internal brush was still fine for another 1.6mm.

I don’t think it is required to replace all of the parts that I used this time but being as an electronics engineer, I wanted to investigate and replace as much parts as possible. The used ones will be kept as emergency spares any way.

The parts replaced with new one;

Name:	BrushOldNew.JPG 
Views:	294 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	7429 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ReguOldNew.JPG 
Views:	293 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	7427

Name:	Bearings.JPG 
Views:	300 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	7424 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RectiOldNew.JPG 
Views:	287 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	7426
    Brush
    Regulator
    Front & Rear bearing
    Rectifier

Although there was no noise while the engine was running, I found that the rear bearing was already rattling quite a lot so it was good to overhaul it this time.

The brush was almost the same as 2 years ago so still can be re-used but replaced it with new one any way.

Rectifier was also still fine but since it's diode, who knows when it will fail with the excessive heat and vibration so decided to replace it.

Blog Entries

There is nothing special for the overhaul process.
    Just requires proper tools and care to prevent electrostatic from damaging the parts.

Name:	Pulley.JPG 
Views:	243 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	7430
    Remove the pulley nut by using the impact wrench.

You may struggle to replace the bearings if this is the first time to remove them.

Name:	FrontBearing.JPG 
Views:	271 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	7431 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RearBearing.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	7432
    Front and rear bearings replaced.

Name:	Recti.JPG 
Views:	251 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	7433
    Rectifier replaced.

Page 39 of 58 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast