Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: NSX Health Check Service

Thanks Kaz, just to confirm that the job to change the crank pulley is alot easier when you are also changing the TB at the same time? Thanks
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Blog Entries

Timing Belt (TB) is located inside the black plastic cover and the Crank Pulley (CP) is outside of this cover.

So, you can replace the CP any time you want without disturbing the TB.
    No need to be at the same time.
    TB service will require lots of preparation/procedures even before being able to access the TB itself so replacing only the CP is much easier.

You'll need to remove the CP again at the time of TB service but I would be happy to do so knowing that the CP Bolt would come off with ease as it was cleaned/greased properly and more importantly, I don't need to worry about the CP issue.

Kaz

Blog Entries

Default Abs

Once again, it’s time to work on the Brake, Coolant system and so on.

This NSX was imported from Japan and there were lots of service record in Japanese so I translated them into English. This document helped a lot on understanding what was done while the car was in Japan.

During the Health Check Test Driving session, it was pointed out to the owner that the brake was nowhere near to the standard of NSX.
    So, back to my place and serviced them.

1. ABS
    Although the fluid inside the reservoir was replaced in the past, there was no history of flushing the system and activating each solenoid. By the way, you can activate the ABS by locking the wheels under braking in a safe open space to keep it healthy but it is almost impossible to detect the sticky solenoid (closed) failure by this method. Also, you won’t be able to replace the fluid in the solenoid chamber without flushing one solenoid at a time and replacing the fluid after each flush.

So, out comes the ABS T-wrench and this was what inside….
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AbsTwrench.JPG 
Views:	318 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	6259 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AbsSoMuchAir.JPG 
Views:	323 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	6258
    So much air in the accumulator.
    Flushed it twice before moving onto the solenoid flush.

In the process of flushing each solenoid.

Name:	SolenoidFlush.JPG 
Views:	316 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	6260
    Luckily, all four solenoids were electrically and mechanically operating fine with no stick. As I don’t want to suck back the air and potential dirt into the flushed accumulator in the first step, I normally replace the entire reservoir fluid after each solenoid flush. As there are four solenoids, you will be repeating this four times.

After all four solenoids were flushed, I’ll flush the accumulator two more times to complete the service. By this time, the fluid flushed into the T-wrench would be clean and clear from any air apart from the small amount left inside the shaft of T-wrench and the tiny ones through the thread of bleeder plug.

Blog Entries

2. Brake Calliper
    Quite often, I was asked why we need to service the calliper when there is no leak or even the pedal feels fine.

Well, first of all, you don’t want to wait until you find the leakage. You can stop the car with engine failure but it will be a different story for a brake failure.

Even if the seal at the piston was fine, any rust on the piston will allow the small leakage and quite often, you won’t notice it unless you overhaul the calliper as you can’t see the rust from outside and the initial leakage would be trapped by the dust boot.

Rust can cause piston to seize and as our Front calliper has dual pistons, you won’t be able to tell the difference from the pedal feeling unless you know the original stopping power of our NSX from Day1.

So, started the overhaul and found this….

Name:	FrontLeftBootLarge.JPG 
Views:	311 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	6262 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontLeftBootSmall.JPG 
Views:	308 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	6263 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontLeftPistons.JPG 
Views:	327 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	6264
    Unfortunately, the person worked on this NSX didn’t check the installation of the dust boots.
    On both Front Left and Right, the dust boots were not installed properly causing the rust on the piston sleeve.

Name:	FRcalliperRusted.JPG 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	6261
    There was no leakage but enough damage was done and the pistons didn’t slide smoothly. As the rust was so deep into the pistons, I had to replace them.

Also, the rust managed to get to the thread of bleeder plug so I normally just replace them as a standard procdedure.

Name:	BleederPlug.JPG 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	6265

Blog Entries

There are several ways to install the dust boots but the key thing is to double check it.

Name:	FrontOHkit.JPG 
Views:	307 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	6268

First, install the dust boot and then feel it all the way round with your finger that the boot is sitting firmly inside the groove of calliper.
    Then, install the pistons and push them all the way in.

Name:	Front01.JPG 
Views:	310 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	6270

Now, to double check the installation, push out the pistons carefully to see the seating of boot and then push them back in again.

Name:	Front02.JPG 
Views:	317 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	6269

Blog Entries

Default Rear Calliper

Similar story for the Rear but rotate it instead of pushing in.

Name:	RearOHkit.JPG 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	6271 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear02.JPG 
Views:	344 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	6272 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear01.JPG 
Views:	313 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	6273

Blog Entries

3. Brake Master Cyl
    Once again, it’s time to work on the master cyl.
    As mentioned in the past, there is no English manual on how to overhaul (OH) this.

Here is the small leakage already seen at the Brake Master Cyl without being noticed by the owner and the OH kit.

Name:	BRmasterCyl03.JPG 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	6274 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BRmasterCylOHkit.JPG 
Views:	299 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	6275

As always, there is no gurantee that the pushrod gap was never touched so it is important to double check it using the SST.

Name:	BRmasterPushrodSST.JPG 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	6276

Blog Entries

Default Goodridge Brake Line

4. Goodridge Stainless fitting (not Zinc plated one) Brake line
    Considering the road condition during the winter, I prefer to use Stainless fitting rather than the standard Zinc plated one for the brake hose.

Name:	GoodridgeStainlessHoseKit.JPG 
Views:	368 
Size:	246.3 KB 
ID:	6277 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StainlessFitting01.JPG 
Views:	365 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	6279 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StainlessFitting02.JPG 
Views:	364 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	6280

It states that it’s guaranteed for life time so it would be interesting to see how it goes as I’m hoping the owner will come back for my health check service every 6 months so that I can build up the carte for each NSX.

Name:	Guarantee.JPG 
Views:	349 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	6278

Blog Entries

Default Painting Calliper

5. Painting Calliper
    The owner wanted to have the callipers painted in red with ‘NSX’ logo in white.
    I have quite good experience with black paint but not familiar with the red one.
    Also, I don’t have powder coating facility and I don’t know any good places nearby, so we agreed to paint them as a red paint test session. I used three coats of Hammerite leaving almost 12Hrs between each coats although it says 4Hrs. Quite happy with the result so let’s see how it will stand the heat and the chipping.

The Front Before and After. The flash of camera makes it like orange but it's really bright Red.

Name:	FrontBefore.JPG 
Views:	297 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	6281 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontRed.JPG 
Views:	316 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	6282

And the Rear.

Name:	RearBefore.JPG 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	6283 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RearRed.JPG 
Views:	303 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	6284

Looks nice through BBS.

Name:	BBS.JPG 
Views:	305 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	6285

Blog Entries

Default Main Relay

6. Main Relay
    The famous Main Relay.
    Have you already replaced yours?

This NSX is the early model so it is located towards the centre side of the chassis whereas on the later model, it will be close to the right side chassis panel.

Name:	EarlyMainRelay.JPG 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	6286 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldAndNew.JPG 
Views:	302 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	6287
    As always, re-soldered the old one and asked the owner to keep it as an emergency spare.

7. Coolant System
    This NSX is NA1 AT model so it will require extra hoses for the ATF cooler. In total, there are 25 hoses to be replaced with 49 clamps. The number of hoses and parts no are different for NA1/NA2, MT/AT and so on so be careful.

It took about 15min to warm up the engine so I was quite sure the Thermostat was stuck open. And this is the difference between the old and new one. The one on the left is the original one with stuck open valvle.

Name:	OldNewThermoStuckOpen.JPG 
Views:	305 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	6288

And the Header Tank.

Name:	OldNewHeaderTank.JPG 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	6289
    If yours looks like the one on the right, it's time to replace it. I prefer using the OEM one although it tends to crack at the middle or at the base of the cap after several years. The internal design of the tank can't be ignored.

Same for the Coolant fluid. I prefer using Honda Type-2 Blue one. It has been developed by the Honda R&D and it just lasts so long that you'll probably have to replace the hoses before replacing the coolant next time.

Name:	Type2.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	6290
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 18-10-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Missed attachments

Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast