Thread: Oil Options

1. Default Oil Options

Morning all...

I Think the oil in our service books is 10-30 from memory.

I've been using Purple Royal for many years on different cars and find it great! I also found a oil guide on prime which tests most the major brands and Purple Royal had one of the least amount of wear. Castrol and Mobil didn't do no where near as good in the tests.

My next oil change were going to try the Royal Purple Extmreme Performance.

Oil Choices in this range are.

XPR 0W10
    XPR 5W20
    XPR 5W30
    XPR 10W40
    XPR 20W50

There are members on prime using both 5W30 and 10W40.

My car is not a daily driver, comes out only on weekends and mostly good weather. I will be doing the odd track day this year also. My oil also gets changed regularly.

What is the best suited oil for our Weather / Climate and for my use of the car?

I think it may be the 5W30 but not too sure. Would like to see what others are running and how frequently they use their cars.

I know oil gets talked about allot on prime but were different climate to the US.
    Last edited by jaffaz32; 23-03-2011 at 10:19 AM.

IMHO 10W40 would be my choice.

i believe kaz recommends mobil 1's 0w40 fully synthetic ... i know thats what i have used in my most recent service and will be for next one
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

The Opie Oils forum (Guy) would be a good place to ask. I don't think they sell Royal Purple but they do a lot of the less common premium oils. There's even thread where similar questions have been asked and answered.

Force of habit sees me using Mobil 1, either 0w40 or 5w40, depending what's in stock. I always used to buy it in France, at Carrefour or Auchan, but since the Euro got really strong it's not much cheaper.

Cheers

Mark
    The older I get, the faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Force of habit sees me using Mobil 1, either 0w40 or 5w40, depending what's in stock. I always used to buy it in France, at Carrefour or Auchan, but since the Euro got really strong it's not much cheaper.

Cheers

Mark
    If you know someone with a Costco account, Mobil 1 0w40 comes to about £29 / 5 liters at the moment.

Blog Entries

I don’t want to be involved on what is the best oil, the best brake, the best …., reducing weight, etc discussion because personally, I would like to view a car as a total package so I’ll try to keep this simple.

While all these test data from the manufacture and discussion on Forum is useful to a certain level, without knowing the C30A and C32B engine design spec, oil temperature, oil pressure being used, fuel spec and so on, a certain oil showed very good test result under one test condition doesn’t mean it is the best for our engine.

If you are after the so called ‘the best’ engine oil, then it is the one specially blended for our engine spec with purpose, requirement, running environment, fuel spec, etc in mind.

This is why we used to use specially blended engine oil for the F1 engine with the aid from the special fuel additive (which is no longer allowed by the FIA regulation) and the oil/fuel blend was even changed based on circuit simulation, dyno test with circuit mode and so on.

Obviously, something good for F1 engine doesn’t mean it is also good for our engine.

I heard from my friend that several engine oils were tested on the engine dyno in endurance mode using C30A engine.

It’s very old data as you can imagine but I’ll just stick with what I was told, what I have been using even the oil technology advanced and even the actual blend of this oil was changed since it was tested on the dyno.

Personally, if you are using the standard pump fuel and mainly street driving, then as long as it meets the specific API ILSAC standard and the viscosity close to the one in the manual, it will be fine as long as you replace it regularly.

So far, I haven’t seen or heard big drop in compression or noticeable difference in wear because of the engine oil difference using Japanese standard pump fuel.

May be different result in different country as so many conditions are different.

Instead of worrying about which engine oil to be used, I would spend the time and money on monitoring the engine oil temperature if you drive very hard or if you track your NSX.

You will be surprised how quickly it reaches 120degC and even over 130degC on track under hot weather.

I'm quite sure other people has different view so I'll just carry on using the same oil on my NSX for R&D purpose.

Hope to take out the engine again in the future for inspection and cleaning.

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 23-03-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: too many spaces

We have a guy on the Norwegian Honda forum who has gone to great lenghts to find the "best" oil for his type-r integra. Every new oil he uses he sends a sample to be analyzed, then another sample after about 5k km of use (including trackdays).

Redline 5W-40 before use:
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...hetic5W-40.jpg
    And after use:
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...hetic5W-40.jpg

His favourite so far is Motul, but he just got some royal purple for testing now, I'll notify you of his findings.
    Last edited by 91NSX#60; 20-04-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Typo