Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: NSX Health Check Service

Blog Entries

The Goodridge Brake Hose kit. Considering the UK road environment during the winter, I went for the Stainless fitting and not the Zinc plated one. May be over-spec but additional peace of mind... It took about 2 - 3 wks for the delivery as it was not stocked at the manufacture. It came with lifetime gurantee as well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoodridgeStainlessFitting.JPG 
Views:	266 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	6143

When the owner bought this NSX, the calliper was pianted in red. Well, sort of...

Name:	Before.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	6144
    It was already peeling off and looked very tired. The owner didn't like the red and wanted to have the same style as mine which is matt black (02 Type-R). So, stripped the red paint off and painted in matt black using the engine head cover paint. Now it looks really cool for both front and the rear.

Name:	PaintStrip01.JPG 
Views:	277 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	6146 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	After.JPG 
Views:	270 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	6145 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RearAfter.JPG 
Views:	269 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	6147

By the way, the rear disk is the OEM one. For the earlier model, you can save a lot by selecting the OEM one compared to the aftermarket ones.

Blog Entries

2. ABS re-visited and the Brake master Cyl OH
    As in my previous post, I think there are lots of NSX with partially failed solenoid on ABS system without being noticed by the owner. This NSX was one of them and initially, it was not possible to recover one of its solenoid. It was electrically fine but mechanically, it was just stuck closed. Under this condition, there will be no warning light on the dash.

Name:	AbsRevisited.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	6148
    I wanted to try the same trick again and this time, I managed to recover the functionalities.

Once again, the Brake Master Cyl was not serviced for a long time.... There were so many rust at the Booster cover as well as at the base of the Master Cyl. I nearly picked up the phone to call the owner for the permission to replace them altogether.

Name:	Booster.JPG 
Views:	267 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	6149 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrakeMasterCylBefore.JPG 
Views:	256 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	6150

However, after initial cleaning, it was possible to recover them so cleaned them really well and refurbished it using the OH kit.

Then, as I didn't know the history of this NSX, checked the gap of the booster pushrod to be 100% sure about the gap requirement. Now the brake master cyl is back to its original performance.

Name:	BrakeMasterCylKit.JPG 
Views:	277 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	6151 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PushRodGap.JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	6152

Quote Originally Posted by kzukNA1 View Post
    Hi, Mark.

If you look at the 4th photo of the post #67, you'll see the part no and the parts included in the Front OH kit for later spec Front Calliper.
    It's 01463-SL0-J01.
    You need two of these for the Front.

For your referece, followings are some of the prices in UK.

HUK price for LATER spec Front calliper
    Front OH kit: 80.89 inc.VAT x 2 = 161.78
    Front Piston 34mm: 38.16 inc.VAT x 2 = 76.32
    Front Piston 40mm: 63.94 inc.VAT x 2 = 127.88

Addition to these, I normally replace the following for the front calliper service. Parts no and image included in the same photo of post #67.
    Bleeder screw: 4.67 inc.VAT x 2 = 9.34
    Cap, bleeder screw: 2.70 inc. VAT x 2 = 5.40

So, if you go down the route of HUK, you'll be looking at at least 380.00 just for some of the Front Calliper Parts...

As I always service my calliper every 2 -3 years, I don't want to pay this figure so I always order them from Japan or US.

Hope this will help.

Regards,
    Kaz
    Fantastic Kaz, great information as usual.

HUK's NSX prices never cease to amaze do they? £80+ for a couple of rubber seals!!!

As you probably know I do like to work on my own cars but just maybe this job is one for you, especially if you can get the parts much cheaper. I'll be in touch.

Cheers

Mark

Blog Entries

Hi, Mark.
    Looking forward to hearing from you and working on your NSX in the near future.

Regards,
    Kaz

Blog Entries

3. Driveshaft and MTF

Another typical service that seems to be left until the very last moment is the driveshaft OH. On this NSX, there was no damage to the boot itself but the grease was leaking from the edge of the boot. The leaked grease was splashed everywhere and required long time to clean it.

Name:	Leakage01.JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	6155 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leakage02.JPG 
Views:	245 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	6156
    The grease leakage can also damage the nearby short coolant hose at the Engine Oil Cooler Base with the addition of heat from the header/exhaust.
    Therefore, it is important to clean this oil cooler area as much as possible.

Name:	LeakageBefore.JPG 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	6157 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LeakageAfter.JPG 
Views:	252 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	6158

As the driveshaft joint lost so much grease, the remaining grease turned into black colour although it looks gray in this photo due to the flashlight of the camera.

Name:	BurntGrease.JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	6159

Blog Entries

As the state of the remaining grease was so bad, it was decided to service the roller bearing and re-pack the fresh grease. There are 3 rollers on each joints so 12 of them in total...

Name:	RollerBearingRebuilt01.JPG 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	6160 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RollerBearingRebuilt02.JPG 
Views:	262 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	6161

At the final stage of the OH, you'll need to adjust the amount of the air inside the boot by adjusting the entire length of the driveshaft and then tighten the boot band.
    Then, re-install both driveshaft back on the hub and stake the spindle nut against the driveshaft.

Name:	AirAdjust.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	6162 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpindleNut.JPG 
Views:	289 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	6163

Blog Entries

During the driveshaft OH, you'll need to drain the MTF or ATF before removing the Left side driveshaft.

For the MT car, it is good idea to check and clean the strainer before re-filling the fresh MTF. You may struggle to remove the strainer cover if it was ignored for a long time and it can be easily damaged if it was not removed before. The one on this NSX was so corroded that it was decided to be replaced with the new one with the O-ring.

Name:	MTFstrainer.JPG 
Views:	251 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	6164 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTFstrainerCoverOring01.JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	6165 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTFstrainerCoverOring02.JPG 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	6166

Refill the MTF (Honda MTF-3) and leave it until it stops dripping from the filler hole.

Name:	MTF01.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	6167 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTF02.JPG 
Views:	271 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	6168

Blog Entries

4. Main Relay
    The famous Main Relay.
    The owner bought it a while ago but didn't have time to install it so I just done it for him.

I always would like to keep the original one and re-solder it to be used as an emergency spare in case someone needs it urgently. I always keep it in my boot. I asked the same for this owner to help other members....

Name:	MainRelay03.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	6169 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MainRelay02.JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	6170 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MainRelay01.JPG 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	6171

Blog Entries

5. Front Wing Inner and Cover
    Originally, this NSX had lowered suspension kit with unsuitable alignment and chassis setup.
    Because of this, the black plastic part inside the front wing and also the cover behind the A/C condensor fan were damaged.
    The old set on the left and the new set on the right.

Name:	FrontWingInnerAndCover01.JPG 
Views:	289 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	6172

As black is one of the most important factor to sharpen the image of the car, we decided to replace all of them at the front.
    Not great photo but it really improved the image of the car.

Name:	FrontWingInnerAndCover02.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	6173 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontWingInnerAndCover03.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	6174 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontWingInnerAndCover04.JPG 
Views:	295 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	6175

Blog Entries

Default Crank Pulley

I had an opportunity to work on one of the beautiful NSX owned by the well known member here on NSXCB.

It was for the famous Crank Pulley...

The owner spotted the first sign of the issue a while ago and he applied temporary measure before visiting my place.

Previously, the timing belt on this NSX was serviced by the reputable garage so I was hoping to be able to remove the pulley bolt without majour effort. Wrong idea...

The original workshop manual didn't show the cleaning and greasing method for this bolt so quite often, I found it very hard to loosen it.

This one was not greased at all so although the specified torque was 245Nm, I used about 700Nm just to loosen it a little. Had to apply similar force several times before the bolt became loose enough for the removal.

After removing the pulley, it was inspected and without the temporary measure applied by the owner, the balancer came off with ease so I'm glad we carried out the service now.
    When it is new, it will look like the photo on the left.
    The one removed from this NSX without the temporary measure.
    The new one installed.

Name:	New.JPG 
Views:	279 
Size:	164.5 KB 
ID:	6178 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before.JPG 
Views:	279 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	6176 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	After.JPG 
Views:	251 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	6177

After replacing the crank pulley, I had an opportunity to drive this NSX.
    It has really nice chassis setup including the special suspension kit and many other modifications. It's following the latest trend of the suspension setup that is comfortable for the every day usage but once start driving fast, it allows you to shift the weight with ease. The alignment setup was also spot on.
    Very smooth and powerful engine thanks to the mod on the header/exhaust with the combination of aftermarket LSD and felt like it had the modified final ratio.

I heard that this NSX will be in the hand of new owner soon so I hope he/she will keep these nice modifications and looks after it for a long time. You'll be glad to know that the crank pulley has been replaced and the pulley bolt was cleaned/greased properly.

Regards,
    Kaz

Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast