Thread: Bose Speaker Amplifier

Blog Entries

Default Bose Speaker Amplifier

Hi, all.

From time to time, I was asked to look into the audio system as the owners wanted to upgrade or modify the system using aftermarket parts.
    Also, there were several requests to repair the famous Bose Speaker Amplifiers as the capacitors used on them will start to leak sooner or later. It’s the same issue as on the A/C Climate Control Unit (CCU) as seen on my other post ‘CCU Computer board Service’.

The owner sent one of his amplifier to investigate his audio system status.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BoseAmpBefore.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	5799

On the bench system, it sounded fine but as in the past, you never know the real status until you open it up...

Name:	BenchSystem.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	5798

By the way, I would like to say big thank you to the members - Jim (mutley) and Andy (328) for their contribution to the parts for my bench system .

So, I started to remove the capacitors and this is what I found.

Name:	Damage01.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	5800 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Damage02.JPG 
Views:	223 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	5801

Even it sounded fine on the bench, the damage was already there… The owner was very lucky that the leakage didn’t damage the two ICs that are Bose in-house model and not being sold as spare parts on the market. I only have limited spares.

Blog Entries

The four FETs were still not damaged so just replaced all of the problematic capacitors.

Name:	BoseAmpAfter.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	5802

As an extra touch, I applied heat transfer compound on both side of FETs to maximise the effect of heatsink.

Name:	ThermoCompoundFront.JPG 
Views:	199 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	5803 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThermoCompoundBack.JPG 
Views:	211 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	5804

After these process, the amplifier was once again put back on the bench and driven for about 4 hours and then ready to be returned to the owner.

Another happy owner .

Oh, by the way, if you have broken or removed Bose Speaker Amplifier, please send me an email or PM me. I would like to use it to source the IC for my future repair service. It has to be cheap as I only need the IC and I already have other parts in stock. It also helps in keeping the cost low in order to help other members. Your support and understanding on this would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Kaz

Nice work Kaz.

Sure it is going to be of use to us all in the future. Many thanks in advance.
    ------------------
    2004 3.2 Man, Formula Red. Now Sold and not missed as much as expected. Life goes on.

4. Default Hey Kaz

No problems Kaz,

Thanks for the heads up, always nice to help people out

Have a great weekend....maybe see you at Silverstone? I will be there on Sunday....

Take care

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by kzukNA1 View Post
    Hi, all.

By the way, I would like to say big thank you to the members - Jim (mutley) and Andy (328) for their contribution to the parts for my bench system .