Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: NSX Health Check Service

Blog Entries

The nice blue car has been collected by the owner now.

About 150 photos were taken to support all the services carried out and they were copied on to the CD and handed to the owner.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CD.JPG 
Views:	315 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	5703

Another happy NSX and owner .

Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by kzukNA1 View Post
    On the DBW model, the cruise control is carried out within the ECU so it is not that simple to overcome this speed limit on JDM.

Regards,
    Kaz
    Thanks Kaz,

That confirms what I thought and mine behaved in the same way i.e. would accelerate beyond 71mph but return to it as soon as you let off the button. Mine is a DBW car so would be tricky to fix. I guess an entire UK/Euro ECU might do it but there'd probably be other little issues arising from the swap.

To be honest I never use cruise in the UK (my Merc and Audi have it) as our roads are just too crowded. It would come in useful for the odd Euro jaunt though.

Cheers

Mark

max_g Guest

Wink

Greetings all,

Great day out today for Supercar Sunday at Gaydon, llovely to see so many of these beatiful cars.

Noticed a number of JDM models and wanted to answer the questions within this thread regarding the Cruise Control on JDM cars.

If you have a JDM car you probably have an electronic Speed Devider installed which reprofiles the pulse stream from the wheel sensor in order to adjust the KPH signal generated by the car into MPH for the Dash, speedo etc,

As the cruise ECU utilises the same pulse strem to determine its "set" speed all you have to do is patch this into the output of the speeddivider that goes onto the dash. This way when the car is doing 70,80 or whatever cruising speed you want the cruise thinks its doing 50,60 etc which is under the JDM 71 Mph limit and allows the cruise to operate perfectly.

Kaz mentione dthis briefly and I am just posting this to validate his preposal as like most of his suggestions ( from reading here ) this works perfectly after I modified my Car in just this way many years ago.

Best Regards

//Max

Blog Entries

Hi, all.

Based on the result of my Health check service, this time, I was asked to work on the suspension area, ABS, A/C cleaning and so on.

1. Bonnet release

Name:	BonnetLock01.JPG 
Views:	319 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	5768
    Well, I started to work on this NSX but every time when I tried to open the bonnet, it was stuck in the original position and I couldn’t open it. I had to hold the opener upwards and pull the bonnet to open it. As I didn’t like to return the car in this status, I decided to remove the entire lock mechanism, soaked it in the cleaner and re-greased it. Now, it opens freely.

2. Bilstein damper with OEM early Coupe Spring

Name:	FrontAssy.JPG 
Views:	316 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	5769 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RearAssy.JPG 
Views:	311 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	5770 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear01.JPG 
Views:	302 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	5771
    We spent long hours discussing about the chassis setup and for the damper/spring, we decided to go for the Bilstein damper with OEM spring.
    For this combination, I always use new bushes and mounting rubber so placed the order to Japan. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewOEMparts.JPG 
Views:	330 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	5772
    I only drove the car to/from the alignment place but I already found it was a good combination to meet his demand and budget.

Blog Entries

3. Stabi link, stabi bush, tierod/rack end

Name:	StabiLink.JPG 
Views:	342 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	5777 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TierodRackEnd.JPG 
Views:	337 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	5773
    While replacing the damper/spring kit, we also replaced the old and tired stabi links and stabi bushes. Removing the locking nut on the stabi link is always the challenge as quite often, the hex hole is rusted and too weak to hold the big torque on loosening the self locking nut. In fact, for one of the link, I had to cut the shaft to release it from the stabilizer.

Quite often, I found small movement on the passenger side tierod/rack end but on this NSX, both sides were rattling. So, new parts were installed before going to the alignment place.

4. Alignment

Name:	Alignment.JPG 
Views:	311 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	5774
    Back to my favourite 2Hr alignment session. From time to time, I found seized alignment bolt even on NSX but this one was really tough. After fighting against some of the nuts and bolts, the final alignment result came out beautifully. Although it is a very old frame, no severe damage to the chassis and thus, perfect alignment to my own setup.

5. ABS

Name:	ABSsst.JPG 
Views:	320 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	5775 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SolenoidFlush.JPG 
Views:	295 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	5776
    ABS has been neglected for a long time so when I used my SST to drain the old fluid, some of the debris from the ABS were trapped inside the one way valve of the SST and when I lifted it, almost all of the ABS fluid was released on the floor… After flushing the system several times, I managed to push the debris out of the one way valve so my SST function was recovered.
    Unfortunately, I found that one of the four solenoid was already dead no matter how we flush/activate it. I could disassemble the unit and try to refurbish it but instead, it would be best to convert it to the latest ABS system so that will be on the future menu.

Blog Entries

6. A/C Evaporator cleaning
    Unfortunately, when NSX was designed, there was no plan to fit cabin air filter like the modern production cars. Because of this, you’ll be surprise to see or may be, I should say, you don’t want to know how dirty the air could be inside the cabin. This is one of the reasons why the fan on the cabin air temperature sensor starts to make some noise after several years.
    You may find lots of dirt around the air inlet of the blower motor unit. Once you have managed to remove it, you can see the evaporator.

Name:	CabinAirInlet01.JPG 
Views:	363 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	5782 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EvapoClean01.JPG 
Views:	343 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	5778 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EvapoClean02.JPG 
Views:	340 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	5779
    This one looks very dirty but in fact, not too bad. In Japan, the summer is very hot and humid so the A/C is continuously being used and thus, lots of moisture is always at the evaporator resulting in black dirt or even sometimes some mould on the surface of evaporator.
    First, blow out as much dirt as possible. Then, wash it with water followed by the cleaner. Wait for a while and then rinse it with plenty of water.

Name:	EvapoClean03.JPG 
Views:	332 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	5780 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EvapoClean04.JPG 
Views:	380 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	5781
    Don’t be tempted to clean the surface fin of the evaporator as they are so fragile that you will do more damage than cleaning it. Just use reasonably high pressure to apply the cleaner and rinsing water. Once you are done, spray some medical alchohol or similar product to disinfect any germ.

Blog Entries

Name:	CabinAirInlet02.JPG 
Views:	350 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	5784 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CabinAirinlet03.JPG 
Views:	355 
Size:	198.0 KB 
ID:	5785
    As I don’t like dirt to get inside again, I normally make simple cabin air filter attached to the intake. This is good enough until I make something out of FRP and commercially available cabin air filter.

7. Cabin air temperature sensor

Name:	CabinTempDust.JPG 
Views:	357 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	5783 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CabinTempBefore.JPG 
Views:	361 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	5786 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CabinTempAfter.JPG 
Views:	347 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	5787
    The cabin air quality was so bad that I found so many dust and debris on the temperature sensor. It was also making quite annoying noise so although it was not requested from the owner, I decided to clean it. This is what I found and I’m glad I cleaned it….

Blog Entries

8. Door lock switch

Name:	CorrodedBrokenTerminal.JPG 
Views:	323 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	5788 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoldPlatedTerminal01.JPG 
Views:	418 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	5789 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoldPlatedTerminal02.JPG 
Views:	404 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	5790
    Quite often, I was asked to investigate the electrical issues on NSX and one of the common failures is related to the non-waterproof connector being used inside the door. On this NSX, the driver side door lock sw was not working at all.
    After long years, the moisture corroded the GND pin on the non-waterproof connector and lost part of the contact point. In order to prevent this from happening again, decided to use gold plated terminal with grease inside the connector. Now, it is fine…

Blog Entries

9. Painting wiper arm

Name:	Wiper01.JPG 
Views:	329 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	5791 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wiper02.JPG 
Views:	327 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	5792 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wiper03.JPG 
Views:	329 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	5793
    Black is very important for the presentation of your NSX. For example, it will make great appearance if you have nice black colour at the front lower spoiler, the upper seal of front windscreen, the tyre, the pillar and so on. Unfortunately, our wiper arm is very old design and sticks out behind the bonnet resulting in chip by the stone, etc. Also, if you wash the car regularly and if you are not careful, you can gradually scrape off the paint from the wiper arm.
    So, it would be nice to spend some time painting them. Strip the old paint off and apply several coats of primer first. Then, wet/dry sand it down a little to get smooth surface and wash and dry it. De-grease it and then apply several coats of nice mat finish black paint. Now it looks much better.

10. A/C gas leakage

Name:	EvaporatorLeakage.JPG 
Views:	339 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	5794
    There are several common places to check for the A/C gas leakage on our NSX. The worst part to find the leakage is at the evaporator. While I was cleaning the evaporator, unfortunately, I found the leakage there. This is a big job to repair as we need to first remove the entire interior panel (yes, the whole one in front of the driver and passenger seat…), take out the evaporator and heater core as a package and then replace/repair the evaporator. As this NSX is using the old R12 system and although alternative R12 gas in available, we’ll be replacing the compressor, pressure valve, O-rings and so on to convert it into R134a system in the future.

The next stage is the complete Brake service, Driveshaft refurbishment and so on.
    Just waiting for the parts to arrive…

Regards,
    Kaz

Default Electrics & Attendances to NSX

I have a 92 nsx 39K genuine miles in vgc.

Mechanically, just has had full 60k mileage service, belts by main dealer in Belfast.
    mechanically perfect.

Would like someone /you to review all ancillary items /your overview checklist?

Bose radio crackling. Air con weak (Mechanically OK) Most likely electrics

Would you be interested /timefames/ logistics etc.

Seamus

Regards
    A vtec smile
    92 Honda NSX c/w Tubi Exhaust , decatted. 33K
    92 Honda Beat 31k kilometres
    04 Honda S2000 16.5K
    92 Porsche 928Gt 72K
    07 BMW 530d
    01 Toyota Amazon
    07 VW Polo Tdi

Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast