Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NSX differential

Default Lsd

Try a fliud change and this time use the "Honda" brand "white cap" MTF. It should help with the notchiness and smooth your shifting all round. As Kaz said, it might be time to overhaul the LSD from lack of lockup pressure but it seems WAY to soon unless the car has been floged on the track or something in its past you don't know of. Still seems to soon for all that.

Cheers
    nigel

Blog Entries

Just a note on the transmission oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by kzukNA1 View Post
    ..... as NSX has quite small oil capacity considering its performance ....
    Only 2.8L for such a high performance car (on MT, rev limit starts at 8,000rpm). This is really small compared to other high performance sport cars.

As this post is for the NSX differential (DF), I don’t want to go too much in detail but...
    Quote Originally Posted by kzukNA1 View Post
    ..... with the ingenious way of circulating the oil for the mechanical parts inside the GBox, the MTF needs to be looked after very well.
    If you have a chance to look at the inside of the gbox, there are hollow section on the main, counter and reverse shaft. There is a meshed strainer (filter) and standard impeller type oil pump. This pump is driven by the DF. Yes, it’s by the DF and that means, the oil won’t be pumped around the gbox until the car has started to move.
    In order to provide the mechanical parts with enough oil using such a small oil capacity under high rpm, the oil is actually pumped through inside the hollow section of the main, counter, reverse shaft and the passage on the gbox case.
    Because of this design, the transmission oil for NSX requires soft viscosity with strong oil film. In fact, when NSX was first introduced to the market, it was recommending 10W-30 Eng Oil (quite soft) or Honda MTF as the transmission oil. I have the Honda MTF-3 and other aftermarket transmission oils in my garage. Compared to these other brands, you will be surprised to see how soft the Honda MTF is even in the cold winter. It dances like a water (may be too exaggerated...) inside the container.
    So, if you put high viscosity transmission oil on NSX (like some of my friends), then quite often, you’ll notice notchy/stiff feeling on 1st/2nd gear on cold winter morning. On leaving the garage, you won’t notice it because the DF is not moving and thus no hard oil is delivered to any part of the gbox. Once you started to move, the DF/pump would try to circulate the very cold and hard oil causing the notchy/stiff shift. Eventually, the heat from the engine will be transferred to the gbox case and the rotating gears will raise the transmission oil temperature and thus, no more nothcy/stiff feeling. Obviouly, this is presuming that you don't have any mechanical failure as transmission oil won't be able to cure it.

So, unless you track the car, it is recommended to use Honda MTF-3 (I think this is the latest version) for your transmission oil. It is a very good and thought after oil. You can easily get it from your local Honda dealer. If you use your NSX on the track, depending on the shape of the track and the temperature, you may notice changes in shift/DF feeling within a short period... It’s getting too hot and thus you may want to search for the aftermarket oil with the trade off of nochy/stiff feeling in the winter.

Regrds,
    Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 02-06-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: corrected MTF version no.

3. Default

Yup Honda MTF always been the bestb option on all honda forums for various hondas.
    THE POWER OF DREAMS.

Brakes are no good- they just slow you down
    (Juan Manuel Fangio)

Being a fan of Honda engines, I later went to Honda's Tochigi Research Center on two occasions and requested that they consider building for the McLaren F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up equipped with a BMW engine.
    (Gordon Murray)

Here's what I got from Opie last time...

Oil and Filter Service Pack HONSP24484
    SKU: HONSP24484
    x1

REDLINE Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant 75W/80w GL4 -1 x US Quart (0.946L)
    SKU: REDMTL-1
    x3

cheers
    Ewan
    ex owner - various Hondas inc 03 NFR NSX-T
    Current fun car Lotus Evora 400

I tried at my local Honda garage and they couldn't get MTF4. I then spoke to the Honda UK technical guy and he said it's not imported into the UK by Honda.
    I'd really like to try this product because I've heard some really good things about it.

Cheers,

James.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

James, I thought you worked in a car related industry? So could easily source MTF or lubrication oils etc? Didn't you previously sell or adviced on Wyns products? Correct me if I'm miles off or just say nope?
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Quote Originally Posted by TheSebringOne View Post
    James, I thought you worked in a car related industry? So could easily source MTF or lubrication oils etc? Didn't you previously sell or adviced on Wyns products? Correct me if I'm miles off or just say nope?
    I can definately get a variety of different products through the trade, but the stuff I've tried so far didn't help the notchiness when the car is cold so I wanted to try the MTF4 to see whether it was any better.

Cheers,

James.

Blog Entries

Hi, James.
    As you already checked with Honda UK, it seems that the latest MTF on the market is MTF-3. That is what I have in my gbox at the moment and as in my post, it is a very good oil for street and light track usage. Just try it as it is not that expensive for just about 3.0L from Honda. I think it was about £7 per litre...

Regards,
    Kaz

Default Mtf

The latest generation of MTF from Honda has a "white" cap.
    It does smooth the gearbox and won't effect the sycronizers adversly. Some of the friction modifiers will smooth the gear box but at the cost of prematurly wearing the syncros.

Cheers
    nigel

Quote Originally Posted by nigel View Post
    The latest generation of MTF from Honda has a "white" cap.
    It does smooth the gearbox and won't effect the sycronizers adversly. Some of the friction modifiers will smooth the gear box but at the cost of prematurly wearing the syncros.

Cheers
    nigel
    Hi Nigel,

I guess the latest MTF may be the way to go, but why would a friction modifer wear the synchros?

Cheers,

James.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast