Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABS acumulator replacement...

Default ABS acumulator replacement...

As mentioned before, my ABS pump was cycling on a regular basis (if you can call 5 seconds on, 5 seconds off regular) so it was time to give it an overhaul.

I'd already carried out the ABS exercising, ABS fluid change, ABS solenoid flush, and the ABS 'why is it still running??' swear at it. The first three had some, although temporary effect, and the latter no effect apart from amusing the girlfriend!!!

so more effective measured were needed. When I last flushed the fluid, i measured the fluid when I released the accumulator pressure, and I had over 150ml come out.. a sign the accumulator has lost some oomph, not surprising as it's 18yrs old! it would also account for the pump firing as soon as the ABS is activated...

I haven't got the official bleed tool, but with a 9mm 12point deep ring spanner and some tube, and being very careful, the same result can be had....

you should all recognise this...

the secret spanner....

pressure released (i had a tube fitted to the bleed nipple, AND released the spanner VERY GENTLY!) and the fluid collected gave me over the 100-150ml 'normal' accumulator capacity.. hence i had ordered a new accumulator assembly...

aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

quite why honda UK wanted the best part of £900, and delivery in OCTOBER is beyond me, oh well, stuff the international trade deficit, it was ordered from across the pond, with a 5 day delivery!!!

now with the solenoids... previously the flushes I'd done, although thorough, never really got to the root of the problem, and after investigating nsxprime i devised a back flush gadget.

the nsxprime ones seemed overly complicated so using the KISS approach (Keep It Simple Stupid) I came up with this... first remove the reservoir...

then add a small machined reservoir with matching piston....

disconnect the pressure hose from the pump to the ABS unit (Banjo bolted hose) then fill the reservoir with fluid, activate a solenoid and push the plunger down....

repeat for the other 3 solenoids and it's done! so I did it again, just to make sure.
    Last edited by britlude; 04-08-2010 at 05:24 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

So solenoids back flushed, it was a case of removing the old accumulator, and fitting the new... the pump bracket had to come off too, to allow access to the accumlator mounts...

a bit of circus contortionism and the new unit is in and plumbed...

all that remained was to bleed the accumulator and solenoids, cycle it all a few times and check the levels.

result... now the ABS has enough reserve to run a few ABS activating stops before the pump refreshes the accumulator, and the pump hasn't run for quite some time!!! to the point that me and the girlfriend have to go 'clat-a-clat-a-clat' just to make up for it!
    aka Jonathan!!

Top bananas Jonathan!!!
    You're becoming a mini-sudesh/Kaz!

How much was the new accumulator?

Keep up the good post.

SS

NB. May need to pay you a visit when mine starts to play up.
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    ..... me and the girlfriend have to go 'clat-a-clat-a-clat' ......
    what you do in the privacy of your own home / car is none of our business

Nice work Jonathan! Hope all is running fine now with the ALB.
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

Can I ask where or what, is that box where the clutch reservoir is or should be lol
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sudesh View Post
    Can I ask where or what, is that box where the clutch reservoir is or should be lol
    Is an alarm Siren Sudesh, I have a similar one!

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    Is an alarm Siren Sudesh, I have a similar one!
    Stupid me lol

From that angle it looks like the clutch reservoir is gone or enclosed in the box. I take it the reservoir can be accessed ok?

Like the pump.
    Quick question for the experts, is the sphere merely a hollow pressure vessel or does it have an internal diaphragm that retains a [say] a pre pressurised fluid that provides some of the pressure. The reason I ask is that Citroen IDs, DSs, BXs, XMs and the like have similar spheres[?] for their brakes and suspensions and their spheres can be recharged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast