Thread: Hype in Japan

Default Hype in Japan

What's the reason for the NSX hype in Japan? I'm having a look in the market from time to time and now the prices climbed even higher...

Blog Entries

Looks like I should have another look ..

My personal observation until moving back to Europe was that prices started their first hike in 2013 when Japan moved out of the industrial crisis after the 2011 earthquake and tsunami. Feeling a little sad for the Nissan S20 that we visited and was looking for a buyer at a price of ~5000 Euro ..

Later the new NSX came out - this immediately halved the number of available NSX on goonet and carsensor. In addition, a general retro and car trend around the world started. On top of that, cars that reach the proper age for reduced import restrictions into the USA are further pushing the market (even though I'm not sure if that's true for the NSX, too).

What do you think?
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Heineken View Post
    What do you think?
    30th years?
    Easier to run a car old like that?
    In Switzerland you can apply for a Veteran status which means MOT only every 5 years but the car has to be OEM and in pristine condition. Only a few thousend miles allowed per year.

Blog Entries

I kept eye on the market in Japan and while there were some drop as well as hike, the general tendency over the rolling 12 months was that it kept gradually upwards until recent years.

When NC1 was officially introduced to the Japanese market, the actual price in JPY was slightly higher than the expectation and it didn't help the negative views on the heavy weight, lack of connectivity to the driver, etc.

This led to the enthusiast to look back to the classic NSX and the price of the used car not only for the NSX but also for some of the Ferrari, etc that were evaluated at the time of developing NSX went up.

However, the main cause is most likely the buyers from the overseas.
    They are happy to pay the asking price and even paying extra resulting in price hike these days.
    And it's not just for the NSX….

Many years ago, I could justify some of the price tag on the NA2 NSX-R or the Type S and S-zero but these days, I just feel like better building C32B and later spec 6MT with new parts (parts availability could be a problem though) by myself with some aftermarket DF, etc and put them on my NSX than paying the latest price tag….

Hope they are well looked after once in the new country as it's the last model that Mr Honda approved.

Kaz

Where do they go to? UK? Hong Kong? New Zealand? Others?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    30th years?
    Easier to run a car old like that?
    In Switzerland you can apply for a Veteran status which means MOT only every 5 years but the car has to be OEM and in pristine condition. Only a few thousend miles allowed per year.
    Importing and registering a car in the USA becomes significantly easier when they are older than 25 years: https://usacustomsclearance.com/proc..._Old_Age_Limit
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Heineken View Post
    Importing and registering a car in the USA becomes significantly easier when they are older than 25 years: https://usacustomsclearance.com/proc..._Old_Age_Limit
    I would have thought that with so many domestic market cars, the appetite to import cars with the steering wheel on the 'wrong side' into the US would be pretty low.
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

8. Default

Yes I managed to do that a year ago or so with the 924 Carrera GTClick image for larger version. 

Name:	006.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	14161