Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering - EPS

1. Default

Thanks Kaz the new relays are definitely up to the job - lots of testing completed....

Sudesh - not sure if EPS looses leg-room or speaker room. The EPS unit sits behind the passenger footwell speaker enclosure, I wonder if the enclosure was adjusted to fit EPS rather than loose leg-room?

Yeah I know, thats why I asked about leg room as the speaker is still the same, but mounting bracket changed. Had a good look today and think leg room isnt affected as the cars without EPS use quit a long bracket, where cars with EPS have a different setup with part of the speaker bracket mounted to the EPS.

Quote Originally Posted by unloaded View Post
    Thanks Kaz the new relays are definitely up to the job - lots of testing completed....

Sudesh - not sure if EPS looses leg-room or speaker room. The EPS unit sits behind the passenger footwell speaker enclosure, I wonder if the enclosure was adjusted to fit EPS rather than loose leg-room?
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

You can get the uprated relays from RS online. Only mail order. I think they were about 3 pounds each + postage (which was as much if not more than the relays).

regards,

Andy

Hi Kaz,

I am a new member to the site althoyugh I've had my red 97 UK targa /auto (R134 TLF, then 9LEN, now SOF7E) since last December.

I read with interest this thread after a recent "£1600 discussion" with Honda about a new control unit (after waiting 3 months for them to get their hands on the correct testing gear and paying £200 for the diagnosis).

I've tried the clock fuse "trick" which solves the problem for a day / hour / minute but clearly this isnt a long term fix for my car.

I also replaced the battery which seemed initially to provide a temporary fix but clearly, there is a problem with the unit.

I was wondering therefore whether you could work your magic on my unit ? - if you can, could you please let me have an address and I'll get the unit sent to you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards

Anthony

Blog Entries

Hi, AnthP. Thank you for showing your interest to my services.

Could you kindly send me an email by selecting the option when you click on my user name?
    ‘Send email’ option is only available after you have logged in.

For me, it’s much easier to organise all of the communications through email than PM or through a certain thread as I receive so many questions every day and I’m not always on the NSXCB site.

EPS can fail in several ways and it is important to know the exact failure code before I can offer my service.

Several owners have already contacted me on the EPS and A/C CCU failures ahead of you so I need to put priority to them.
    At the same time, I need to look after several owners who have already paid for their parts in order to have several services on their NSXs. So, it may take some time but at least, we can talk about the failure code/mode through email.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Regards,
    Kaz

Blog Entries

Another owner contacted me with EPS failure. The owner managed to confirm the EPS error code that was #22 and he also managed to take out the EPS controller out of his NSX so the unit was sent to my place for service work to be carried out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	023again.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	7637 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RelayRemoved01.JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	7639 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RelayRemoved02.JPG 
Views:	213 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	7640
    The controller was once again ver.023 that tends to fail after a while.

The unit was opened and both relays were removed. When tested on the bench, one of the relay was showing fluctuating resistance between the switched terminals even when 12V was applied to the coil side. This will definitely cause EPS error code #22.

As the demand is not that high compared to the A/C CCU service, I normally don’t stock the parts for EPS.
    The specific high current relay is not available in UK and only stocked in Japan or US so while waiting for the delivery of the parts, decided to drill the holes on the board.

Name:	NoClearSheet.JPG 
Views:	226 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	7638 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DrilledHolePrep.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	174.3 KB 
ID:	7641
    By the way, when I opened the lid, I was expecting to see thin clear protection sheet behind the lid. This is to prevent the short circuit from happening in case someone dents the lid and hit the board with metal lid. Probably the unit was opened in the past or simply it was not there from the beginning.

New holes drilled for the upgraded relays.

So, just need to wait for the delivery of the parts.

Blog Entries

Decided to inspect the faulty power relay.

Name:	DeadRelayInspection.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	7644 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BurntMeltedContact.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	7643
    After opening the outer housing, it was quite obvious that the spec of relay was not suitable for the task.
    The contact was burnt and even melted causing intermittent connection and not being able to pass through enough current through the EPS circuit and casing error code #22.

Later Honda upgraded the relay spec to the high current capacity one but if you have EPS with last three digit of controller part no. -023, then sooner or later, it will fail.

Hope I can help this owner by replacing the relays.

Kaz

Blog Entries

Finally, the parts arrived from US and installed into the EPS controller.

Name:	StdVsHighCurrentSpec.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	7679 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Relay1Installed.JPG 
Views:	237 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	7680 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Relay2Installed.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	7681
    As in the old post, the standard one on the left and the high current spec used on the latest controller on the right.

Although the continuity check was fine, the fitting of one of the relay was quite tight especially at one of the control line. In case the through hole was damaged when I inserted the relay, one jumper wire was used to strengthen the connection.

Both relays were replaced, conformal coating applied to protect the new soldering joints, tested and confirmed no short circuit after the service and ready to be returned to the owner.

EPS can fail in many ways and if there is another issue such as torque sensor failure addition to the error code #22, replacing the relays won’t solve all of the EPS issues but at least, it is better than paying more than GBP1,500 for the new EPS controller.

Kaz

Smile Eps !

Kaz,

You are a superstar !

My wife rang me today to say the unit had arrived so I raced home to reinstall the unit - one hour later, EPS restored !

Great service, daily updates, great price, great result !

Almost looking forward to my next problem !

Thanks a million

Cheers

Anthony

Default Power steering failure

My power steering has recently failed, but I find driving it still OK. The car is really outside my budget, but I just love it too much. Am I likely to do any damage if I continue to use it without getting it checked?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast