Page 16 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: NSX Health Check Service

Blog Entries

Default Door Window Glass Alignment

Back to the Red NSX that was waiting for the alignment service during the snow in January....

7. Door window glass and weatherstrip
    First time when this NSX showed up to my place, I noticed that the rear edge of the door window glass was hitting the Front Pillar Retainer. It was very scary closing the door so I kept the window glass lowered slightly.

Also, when the engine was not running, the window will move only about 10mm (half inch) from fully lowered position so the entire window related mechanical and electrical parts required some attention.

The weatherstrip was not installed properly and because of this, it was already deformed and damaged.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DoorWindowHitting.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	6508 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weatherstrip01.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	6509 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weatherstrip02.JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	6510

Although I had spare weaterstrip, we agreed not to replace it or carry out the full window alignment work on this occasion.

On earlier model, you need to be very careful with the rest of the parts used on the door when replacing the weatherstrip or adjusting the window glass. The shape of the weatherstrip was modified on our NSX in early 90’s and if you just follow the workshop manual to replace the weatherstrip or adjust the window alignment, you may end up with water leakage issue even if you may be able to overcome the wind noise issue. There are several parts to be replaced/reviewed in relation to the spec of weatherstrip.

So, as I didn’t have these specific parts in stock to match the latest weatherstrip and there is no point in aligning the window glass against the deformed weathertrip, decision was made to carry out the minimum alignment work. The aim was to prevent the glass from hitting the retainer and also at least let the driver to close the window without using hand to pull it up.

It is best to remove the front/rear guide rails and the regulator to clean/replace the parts to improve the up/down speed of the window but for this occasion, minimum service was carried out.
    It was also making the ‘popping noise’ so greased the glass holder collar as well.

Name:	WindowAlignment01.JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	6514
    After these tweaks and the alignment work, the window now goes up and down much faster than previously. Still, not like the NSX just arrived from the factory but good enough until we get the new parts for this.

From time to time, some of the screws holding the retainer were corroded and very difficult to remove.

Name:	SST01.JPG 
Views:	268 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	6511
    I’m so glad to have this special plier with me when dealing with these corroded/rusty/damaged screws and bolts.

Although it was for the minimum alignment work, had to spend several hours before I was happy to return the NSX to the owner. As expected, there was some wind noise created due to the deformed weatherstrip but better than hitting the pillar every time closing the door.

Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 07-02-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Replaced the photo

Blog Entries

Default Alignment, Caster

8. Alignment
    Before going to the alignment place, I normally remove all of the alignment adjuster bolts, nuts and cams to check for any seizer as well as apply thin coat of dielectric silicone grease to prevent any future corrosion.

On this NSX, both R & L caster adjuster mechanism was completely seized and couldn’t rotate it at all. It’s the bracket at the bottom of the compliance pivot.

The good news for this NSX was that both R & L caster seized very closely each other and they were close enough to the factory setup.

I’m not a fan of compliance pivot but in order to cope with this seized caster adjuster, I now have some procedures to deal with it. Not an easy job though...

After the alignment, the car handles much better and finally managed to return the car to the owner.

Blog Entries

Another NSX visited my place recently. The owner bought this NSX recently and it was the beautiful Yellow Targa model.
    So many things were carried out so I’ll post them bit by bit….

1. USA Spec PA11-HON (latest model)
    I bought the same iPod adapter several years ago and the owner wanted to have the same setup for his iPhone 3G. So, contacted the same official supplier that I used in the past and got it within a week. It was about GBP100.00 including the delivery charge and then paid about GBP27.00 for import VAT and handling charge for Fedex.

These are the parts inside the box;

Name:	USAspecPA11-HON.JPG 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	6515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA11-HON01.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	6517 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CDchangerLoom.JPG 
Views:	248 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	6519
    PA11-HON controller, CD changer port cable, iPod interface cable, the standard manual and the updated additional instruction sheet.

Name:	iPodIFcable.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	6516
    The latest model comes with this new iPod interface cable (CB-PA85) which has a dongle near the dock connector. This will enable the controller to cope with the different battery charge pin location on old/new iPod and iPhone models.

After testing the new PA11-HON on my NSX, I decided to carry out the same test on this Targa model using the cable inside the boot.

Name:	ConnBoot.JPG 
Views:	254 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	6518
    Unfortunately, the head unit didn’t recognise the PA11-HON and instead, I started to smell the burnt circuit board coating when I powered up the head unit. After inspecting the head unit, the ACC power line to the CD changer port was still fine but burnt. As there was no short circuit on the CD changer loom, it looked like the head unit was damaged in the past and I just made it worse by connecting the PA11-HON. Although the ACC line was still fine, I didn’t like leaving it like that so used jumper wire to reinforce the circuit track.
    After this treatment, the PA11-HON was successfully recognised by the head unit and ready for the proper installation.

Blog Entries

Originally, I wanted to use the same installation method as mine by using the connector behind the passenger seat.

Name:	FactoryPreinstalledCable.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	6520

But as I didn’t want to find any issues with the CD changer cable, we agreed to plug-in the PA11-HON CD changer port cable directly to the head unit.

Name:	DINconnCD.JPG 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	6521 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlueConn01.JPG 
Views:	231 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	6522 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlueConn02.JPG 
Views:	223 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	6523
    You need to remove this cap with red warning label and plug in this DIN connector to the back of the head unit or to the factory pre-installed cable if you are 100% sure that the pre-installed cable was not damaged in the past.

There is a blue 14pin connector wired in parallel with the DIN connector.
    For our NSX, we don't use this blue connector so please insulate it and secure it to avoid any short circuits.

For your reference, with this particular cable, the ACC power was on pin#10 and the Power GND was on pin#3 at the blue connector.

Time to review the layout of the controller and iPod/iPhone.
    We wanted to keep the access to the PA11-HON controller box so decided not to install it inside the centre speaker housing between/behind the two seats. Instead, we decided to install the controller inside the arm rest box like mine.

Name:	iPodMini.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	6524
    I only have an old iPod Mini and I installed it inside the upper rear compartment of the arm rest box.

Blog Entries

Name:	iPhoneLayOut01.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	6525
    As I don't own any iPhone, I used the cardboard for layout purpose.

Normally, I don't want to drill any new holes on the interior panel and I prefer utilising/enlarging the existing holes.

Name:	iPhoneLayOut02.JPG 
Views:	239 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	6526 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iPhoneLayOut03.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	6527 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iPhoneLayOut04.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	6528
    Considering the length of the iPhone and the dongle on the latest iPhone Interface cable of PA11-HON, it was obvious that unless I drill a new hole at the back of the upper compartment, I won't be able to place the iPhone like my iPod Mini installation. So, we agreed to keep the iPhone inside the arm rest box, the same location as the PA11-HON controller.

Name:	ArmRest01.JPG 
Views:	245 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	6530
    At the back of the arm rest, there are lots of existing holes that can be used for the installation.

Blog Entries

In order to obtain the max free space after the installtion, it was decided to place the PA11-HON controller box as close as possible to the rearwards of the arm rest box.

Name:	Plate.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	6531 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grommet.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	6532 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Installed.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	6533
    One of the existing hole was enlarged and similar size hole was drilled to the thin aluminium plate inside the arm rest box. This plate can be purchased from Honda and very cheap so you can always try different setup or go back to original. The rubber grommet was placed to protect the PA11-HON CD changer port cable and the installation was done.

Name:	AUXinput.JPG 
Views:	246 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	6534
    Depending on the dip sw position on the controller box, you can use another device on the AUX port. This feature was also tested by selecting the Disc #6 on the head unit.

Name:	iPhone3G.JPG 
Views:	243 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	6535
    After the installation, I tested it with original iPhone as well as the iPhone 3G with the support from another NSX owner.

When the iPhone is connected to the interface cable, you'll see a message on your phone display such as 'This device is not compatible...... Do you want to go to Flight mode....'.

Just tap on the answer 'NO' on the screen and everything works fine including the battery charge feature.

You need to use specific Play list name such as 'HONDA1, HONDA2' and so on but it was very nice to play music on iPhone with PA11-HON.

It would be interesting to see what will happen to the music if the phone receives a call... Probably mute the music and ring tone through the speaker???

Any way, after the installtion of PA11-HON and Bose speaker Amp refurbishment, the owner was very happy with the level of deep Bass even using the compressed MP3 format as the source.

More to follow....

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    For your reference, with this particular cable, the ACC power was on pin#10 and the Power GND was on pin#3 at the blue connector.
    Thanks Kaz.

Super write up of install as well which will be very useful to many I am sure.
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    8. Alignment
    Before going to the alignment place, I normally remove all of the alignment adjuster bolts, nuts and cams to check for any seizer as well as apply thin coat of dielectric silicone grease to prevent any future corrosion.

On this NSX, both R & L caster adjuster mechanism was completely seized and couldn’t rotate it at all. It’s the bracket at the bottom of the compliance pivot.

The good news for this NSX was that both R & L caster seized very closely each other and they were close enough to the factory setup.

I’m not a fan of compliance pivot but in order to cope with this seized caster adjuster, I now have some procedures to deal with it. Not an easy job though...

After the alignment, the car handles much better and finally managed to return the car to the owner.
    Hi Kaz, I'd be interested in seeing your procedure for this...
    Last edited by NSXGB; 08-02-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Cool PA11-HON What happens when phone rings ?

Hi Kaz,

"
    It would be interesting to see what will happen to the music if the phone receives a call... Probably mute the music and ring tone through the speaker???
    "

Regarding your query of what happens when the phone rings, the music mutes and the phone ringtone sounds on the speaker. If you answer the phone by "sliding to unlock" the phone is answered. If you subsequently click the speaker icon, the caller is heard over the car speakers.

Henry

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WhyOne? View Post
    Thanks Kaz.

Super write up of install as well which will be very useful to many I am sure.
    Hi, WhyOne.
    It may be too late but I hope this will help for your future installation modification.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    Hi Kaz, I'd be interested in seeing your procedure for this...
    Hi, NSXGB.
    I knew you will be after this information. I'll send you the detail over the email once I have proper photos. You'll need proper tools as you need to take out the compliance pivot which means that you will be disconnecting the two ball joints at the pivot. You must use the proper tool and not the cheap ones.

Quote Originally Posted by henry_mac View Post
    Hi Kaz,
    Regarding your query of ..... the caller is heard over the car speakers.
    Henry
    Hi, Henry. Thank you for the information. That's cool!!
    I may need to get hold of iPhone for bench testing purpose ...

Back to the Yellow Targe subjects;

2. Audio Head unit volume ring and on/off switch
    Quite often, I came across with the volume knob on the audio head unit with small amount of rattle.

Name:	RattleVolume.JPG 
Views:	234 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	6536
    On this NSX, it was rattling significantly. So, I opened it up and tighten it with Loctite 243 to secure it.

Now, it feels much better.

Name:	OldNewAudioParts.JPG 
Views:	251 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	6537 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BeforeAudioSW.JPG 
Views:	251 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	6538 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AfterAudioSW.JPG 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	6539
    The owner was not happy with the existing appearance of the volume ring and the switch. It was scratched severely. So, new parts were ordered from Japan and now it looks much better.

3. Targa Roof Weatherstrip
    When removing the roof, you need to be very careful with the roof weaherstrip.
    The owner reported that he was suffering from excessive wind noise and even water leakage around the door window glass. On arrival to my place, I noticed that the weatherstrip was not installed properly and the door window was not possible to fully close when the roof was in place.

Name:	Weatherstrip03.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	6540
    Here comes my favourite air line mileage club card usage…. BA card is so smooth compared to other air line ones.

Page 16 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast