Thread: Leather Seat Repair

Thumbs up Leather Seat Repair

After reading and hearing so much about "liquid leather" repair I thought I would give it a go on my Nsx's drivers seat. So I purchased a scuffmaster kit and the 250ml cleaning and conditioning bottles from http://www.liquidleather.com/scuffs.htm. They are very helpfull and said I would need the standard "old leather" black dye kit as all leather fades with age.

As you can see from the before and after photographs below the drivers side bolster was quite bad but after first cleaning the leather then applying the dye the results were very good. Obviously this treatment can not replace the leather but makes the damage less noticable.

The colour match is actually very good. They supply toners in the kit but I didn't need to use them. I did add a bit of gloss in the final top coat of dye just to blend into the original leather finish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat1.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	4025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat2.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	4026

Name:	seat3.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	4027

Then after 24hrs I applied the conditioner to both seats and this is the end result.

Name:	seat4.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	4028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat5.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	4029

I am very happy with how this turned out, the instructions are easy to follow and it is easy to apply the treatment to the car. I didn't like sanding back the flappy edges of the leather as per the instructions but this has to be done to create a suitable surface for the dye to adhere to.

The only negative is that the seats are quite shiny at the moment but that is probably due to the fact that the conditioner has not been fully absorbed in yet, apart from that the treatment is fully recommended by me for what it's worth.
    91 Honda Nsx
    90 VW Golf 16v (Track Hack)

Excellent results Which size bottle did you need to purchase?

cheers,

Ivor.
    92 brown/blue/gold manual coupe sadly stolen:
    96 Brooklands Green manual T-top.Sadly now sold
    04 Formula Red manual coupe Very sadly sold

Hi Ivor,

It was the 65ml scuffmaster black "classic kit". As my Nsx is a 91 they said it would need the classic kit as all leather colour fades with age. If your leather is only a couple of years old then they do a "new kit" but they can advise on this at the time of purchase. I still have over half the bottle of the dye left so it's plenty to do a couple of seats if needed.

I also purchased the 250ml GT12 cleaner and the 250ml GT11 conditioner. I used about a third of the conditioner for both seats but I don't think they had been treated in a long time as they soaked the conditioner in very quickly.

It really is easy to use, I was a bit doubtfull about doing it at first as i didn't want to make it worse but as long as you follow the instructions you really can't go wrong.
    91 Honda Nsx
    90 VW Golf 16v (Track Hack)