Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: NSX Health Check Service

Kaz,

I gave my wiper arms to a mate that was getting some bits powder coated and they came up like new.

Cheers,

AR

Hi Kaz, very nice to meet you at Silverstone yesterday and very interesting to see you "at work" it's very clear to see how well you know and how much you love these NSX's. I'll pm you about possibly checking my bambino for me, it's in pretty good order generally but some of the history is a bit hazy and some the wiring is pretty shabby and I'm not entirelly sure what they have added(although there is a charging dock in my front air intake) plus the usual Bose problem.

Thank you,

Stephen(orange shorts )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slieve_croob View Post
    I have a 92 nsx 39K genuine miles in vgc.

Mechanically, just has had full 60k mileage service, belts by main dealer in Belfast.
    mechanically perfect.

Would like someone /you to review all ancillary items /your overview checklist?

Bose radio crackling. Air con weak (Mechanically OK) Most likely electrics

Would you be interested /timefames/ logistics etc.

Seamus

Regards
    Hi, Seamus.

Thank you for showing your interest to my service.
    Considering your location, I would recommend contacting another member ‘Sudesh’ here on NSXCB. He carried out many interesting services/modifications and we keep good communications each other.

For your NSX Health Check, Air con or Climate Control Unit and Bose Speaker Amplifier service, please send me an email by clicking on my alias name ‘kzukNA1’ and selecting the appropriate option. I’ll send you the PM with my email address as a backup later.

You have nice collection of cars especially the Honda Beat. I looked after my friend’s Beat for over 2 months and I really enjoyed driving it.

Looking forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Regards, Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post
    Hi Kaz, very nice to meet you at Silverstone yesterday and very interesting to see you "at work" it's very clear to see how well you know and how much you love these NSX's. I'll pm you about possibly checking my bambino for me, it's in pretty good order generally but some of the history is a bit hazy and some the wiring is pretty shabby and I'm not entirelly sure what they have added(although there is a charging dock in my front air intake) plus the usual Bose problem.

Thank you,

Stephen(orange shorts )

Hi, Stephen.
    It was good to see you yesterday. I’m more than happy to go through your NSX so looking forward to hearing from you again in the near future.

Regards,
    Kaz

Just to add my recommendation of Kaz's great work and expansive knowledge of these wonderful cars, (I hope you are busy, but not too busy).

Blog Entries

Hi, Stephen.
    Thank you for visiting my place the other day. I always enjoy talking to the NSX owners as well as watching the NSX DVD during lunch break. I'm glad that I managed to shorten the requried time by using the new lift.

We'll keep in touch to discuss the future service and I'll work on the Bose Amps when I can find some time.

Once again, thank you for using my service.

Regards,
    Kaz

Blog Entries

Hi, all.

After my Health Check Service, the owner will receive a prioritised recommended service list so that he/she can discuss about it with his/her mechanic or simply with me.

This time, the owner had a very good mechanic friend at his nearby garage so he ordered the parts through me and asked his friend to fit them.
    Unfortunately, his mechanic was quite busy and thus, the owner came back to me to have them installed.

As the owner already had an appointment for that weekend, we agreed on the order of the services to be carried out so that we can utilise the limited time efficiently.

1. Tierod/Rack end
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TierodRackEndRight.JPG 
Views:	296 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	6050 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TierodRackEndLeft.JPG 
Views:	286 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	6051
    I stopped counting how many rack end that I replaced on the NSX for the last 15 years… Whether it is Right hand drive or Left hand one, the passenger side always starts to rattle first due to the geometry factor. Another common service items on our NSX…

2. Four wheel alignment

Name:	Alignment.JPG 
Views:	284 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	6052
    The owner had the alignment done about 2 years ago and as I replaced the tierod/rack end, I had to carry out the alignment service as well.
    I normally recommend the alignment to be done once a year if you drive regularly but for this owner, it was not his everyday car.
    However, I was quite surprised to see how far every alignment data were off from the specified figure even taking into consideration the replacement of the above parts. After several hours, the data came out beautifully and it was such a big difference in handling even for a short driving back to my
    place.
    Later, when I met with the owner, he was really happy with the properly aligned NSX.

3. Coolant system
    It is always best to carry out preventative maintenance or deal with the issue at the first sign. Otherwise, it will take extra time and cost you more.
    Good example is my other service such as air con Climate Control Unit (CCU), brake calliper overhaul, brake master cyl, ABS and so on.

During the Health check, it was noticed that the header tank was really old and coolant colour was still green. Honda changed the spec of its coolant long time ago and it is now in blue colour. It is called as Honda Type 2 coolant. It can be left for about 10 years without replacing but I’m quite sure you’ll be draining the system before that for your water hoses or water pump services.

So, if your coolant is not blue, then your coolant could be very old or not from Honda.

Back to the original story… All the water hoses were tired and some of the hose cramps were completely rusted. So, it was decided to replace all hoses, cramps, header tank, thermostat, header tank cap and so on. For early model MT NSX, there are 23 hoses to be replaced. For AT, it’s even more due to the ATF cooler… I’ll be working on AT one later. Can’t wait for another long session with the water hoses…

Name:	HeaderTankBeforeAfter.JPG 
Views:	267 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	6053 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThermostatNewOld.JPG 
Views:	263 
Size:	200.8 KB 
ID:	6054

Blog Entries

In order to speed up the flushing process, I normally remove the thermostat first and put back just the cover to cycle the water inside the system. In order to avoid the old coolant to splash over the exhaust system, it is best to drain the engine block using some sort of pipe.

While removing the thermostat cover, I already knew that it is going to be a big job as there were some leakage and corrosion around the area.

Name:	DrainEngBlock.JPG 
Views:	279 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	6059 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corroded.JPG 
Views:	269 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	6055 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corroded02.JPG 
Views:	271 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	6056
    I normally allow 6hrs for just replacing all the hoses but on this NSX, I spent many hours just cleaning the rust and debris on the pipes and etc. You won’t be able to see them as they are hidden under the connection point of the hoses.

Therefore, it is best to have your coolant system
    serviced based on the recommended interval even you don’t drive your NSX regularly.
    Over the time, the coolant will loose its original performance including the rust inhibitor and will result in rusty pipes and so on.

Within the limited time, I cleaned the corroded area as much as possible.

Name:	Leakage02.JPG 
Views:	296 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	6057 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThermoCoverCleaned.JPG 
Views:	289 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	6058

Blog Entries

The parts replaced at the engine room and the centre channel under the floor.

Name:	OldPartsEngRoom.JPG 
Views:	284 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	6060 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldPartsCentreChannel.JPG 
Views:	280 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	6061

By this time, you’ve already lost your hand’s grip power so time to take a break.

And the most time consuming two hoses… The ones at the oil cooler…

Name:	OilCoolerTwoHoses.JPG 
Views:	283 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	6062 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldPartsOilCooler.JPG 
Views:	290 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	6063 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FigureOfEightOring.JPG 
Views:	275 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	6064
    Even I carried out this many times, I still spend about 1 hour just for these two hoses. For me, it is quicker to remove the oil cooler from its original location and rest it on a piece of wood to get maximum space to access these two hoses.
    You’ll need to replace the figure of 8 O-ring, clean the special bolt holes and apply small amount of Honda bond when re-installing the Oil cooler.

Blog Entries

The parts replaced at the front compartment under the bonnet.
    Another time consuming hoses are the small ones just at the side of the blower fan unit.

Name:	OldPartsFrontComp.JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	6065 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VacuumTest.JPG 
Views:	274 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	6066 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VacuumFill.JPG 
Views:	268 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	6067
    After long hours, it is time for the vacuum test and vacuum fill the system. I normally leave the system under vacuum condition for 5min to check for any leakages.

Then, final bleed check and start the engine.

By the way, you must keep the water valve open through out the process so you need to set your air con climate control unit (CCU) to be at 32degC or simply, remove the linkage wire and push the water valve lever towards the cabin side. This is to flush the old coolant within the heater core and also to bleed the air trapped there. If you understand how the coolant flows through the system, you'll understand this.
    On our NSX, unlike other ordinally cars, the hot coolant enters the radiator from the bottom side. The inlet/outlet pipes to the heater core are located before the radiator and since they are positioned quite high, you can easily trap some air there if you are not careful.

If everything is fine, then keep the 32degC setup and go out for a short drive with revving the engine occasionally to push out any possible remaining air bubbles inside the coolant system.

Let the engine to cool down and check for the coolant level.

I was hoping to install the new brake line as well as Type-R Clutch pedal and damper less clutch joint but ran out of time… So, these are for the future service.

Done.

Regards,
    Kaz

I Kaz,

Can you check the PM regarding an estimmate for a clutch.

Cheers,

Ary

Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast