Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Britludes NSX story

Hi Jonathan, I too would be interested in the price shipped ....Does it come well packed ...these seem very easy to damage

Kingsley

the spoiler and fitting kit was $254 shipped from US of A... with the additional parcelfarce ransom demand it was still WAYYYY cheaper than HUK!!!

try SOS, Dali, oemacuraparts.com or your preferred US supplier... all around the same price!

as far as mine, it was packed in the honda box it comes in!
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Many thanks, sounds like my next purchase!!

anyway, back to the plot....

also on NSXPrime were warnings of the effects of time on the injector seals. As mine are 20 years old, and seeing how time had affected the bounciness of some of the rubber components at the LMA/cam/water pump/etc change, I wanted to change them anyway.

Now, to kill 2 birds with one stone, and all that, in addition to changing the rubber seals, I thought, with the emission change seen at the last MOT, I’d service the injectors, so started searching companies that had the injector servicing/calibrating facilities.

I found a couple locally, but they wanted £££ for the service, and timescales meant the car would be out of action for 4/5 days with sending/servicing times and return delivery! So I looked at sourcing a spare set of injectors, eventually finding a full set in the good ‘ol U S of A, that had already been cleaned/calibrated, and all rubbers renewed, and all cheaper with delivery than getting mine cleaned!!! Upshot is I have a cleaned set of injectors, and a spare set should I need them (which can be sent anywhere to be serviced as there won’t be the urgency!)

Anyway…. Nice and clean to start off! You can see the connector for the intake air temp sensor beside the fuel line banjo bolt. (Just above the 'H')
    2012-06-22-846 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Off with the top cover and the injector covers again!
    2012-06-22-847 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

injector rails off, and the injectors carefully removed… they just push in, but as the rubbers have been sitting there for 20 years, some moved easily, some were a little more ‘set’…. the most awkward bit was working out how the electrical connectors were latched on....

Anyway here’s how they looked..
    2012-06-22-853 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

(the end ones had already been wiped before the pic!) The grubby build-up was as expected after seeing the intake temp sensor….

The new and the old… not a lot of difference! shiny and fresh with the all important new rubbers
    2012-06-22-850 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

refitting them was nice and simple, just making sure the seats were clean, and everything fitted together smoothly. After these were changed, I can report fuel consumption has improved, the run to Goodwood festival of speed was definitely less juicy!

… then the gearbox broke……now if that were only 4 or 5 days

Last edited by britlude; 20-07-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Oh bummer, what happened to your box? Was it the snap ring?

automatic gearbox deciding it didn't want to play with 2nd or 4th after years of faithful service!

here's the lowdown on the whole sorry saga....

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...ts-of-pics-too
    Last edited by britlude; 05-10-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Whilst the car was playing host to a dead gearbox, I took the opportunity to do a coolant hose refresh! well i had to find something to do!

So a set of hoses was ordered from our friends across the Atlantic, excluding the 6 main hoses that I’d already purchased in silicone.. lots of bags!
    2012-08-02-1327 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

silicon set
    2012-04-06-184 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

tha car was jacked up on one side and axle stands placed, and the centre tunnel hoses could be swapped out.
    2012-08-02-1328 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

draining…
    2012-08-02-1330 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

ok a boring pic, but it's an action shot, honest!
    Last edited by britlude; 20-07-2017 at 08:44 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

After an inordinate amount of struggling and associated swearing, the decision was made to cut the hoses off. 19 years of sitting there was a hard habit to break, so a careful cut with a sharp blade and peeling the rubber back was the best option. Minutes later the old hoses were off.
    2012-08-02-1331 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

now, there wasn’t any ‘ballooning’ of the pipes, but they were definitely past their best. If I bent the hose, you could hear the individual strands of the reinforcing webbing snapping, almost like rice crispies ‘snap-crackle-and-pop’! By contrast, the new shiny fresh ones bent without distress!

fortunately the pipes were in good condition
    2012-08-02-1335 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

with the aid of a couple of parts lists, the hoses were sorted, fitted and crossed off!
    2012-08-02-1336 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

soon enough they were all changed (here’s most of them!)
    2012-08-02-1338 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    note the extra length pliers, definitely helped in the more inaccessible areas!

Of special mention are the oil cooler connections. Many threads tell of what a pain these are, and yes they are! One hose is about 3 inches long and straight. The 2 pipes it fits to are a snug fit, and only have about half an inch between them, so be warned the oil filter unit HAS to come off. Cutting the old hoses off rather than trying to pull them off the pipe ends will save you a whole lot of swearing! Lol
    Last edited by britlude; 20-07-2017 at 08:48 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

whilst I was there I gave the rear suspension a good clean with the Simple Green precision (specially for aluminium) cleaner….
    2012-08-02-1340 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

I also gave the steel bits a treatment with some rust stabiliser product, you know the type of stuff, turns rust into not rust!
    Before
    2012-08-07-1487 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

during
    2012-08-07-1488 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

after
    2012-08-09-1497 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

the steel parts are now a bit more rust resistant! ok, they don't look much different, but without the flash they are black!
    Last edited by britlude; 20-07-2017 at 08:49 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

You had to go a ruine a perfectly good thread didn't you .... how dare you mention the un-mentionable 'Simple Green precision (specially for aluminium) cleaner….'

and as for the steel rust cleaner ... looks like you could do with some on the discs ;o)
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast