Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: `99 NSX re-commissioning underway:

1. Default `99 NSX re-commissioning underway:

Hi Everyone,
    I have just started the re-commissioning work on my `99 Imola Orange 3.2 - previously owned by AR. As already mentioned, the car will go through a full mechanical overhaul including engine, brakes, wheels etc. followed by bodywork (including stripping and checking the work done back in `06 following its write-off rebuild) including full paint, then interior and front and rear bay detailing - along with a thousand other jobs that no doubt will pop up along the way.....

The objective is to take the car back to as close to original speck as possible (only exception being the 18" wheels - they can stay for the time being). Previous owners have "personalised" the car with features such as privacy glass, black rear lights, black roof, body coloured brakes etc. - its cool if thats your thing but for me, the NSX just looks right from the factory.

I`m planning to keep you all up-to-date with progress and pics - not always possible as time is, as ever, tight.

First up, following a good tip from NSXGB, a nice present of parts arrived from the States so we could get things started:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parts.JPG 
Views:	434 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	11093Errr.... why is this pic so small? Saved as 750 by 450px on my pc..... anyone help?

Then to kick things off, my mechanic got stuck in on the brakes - discs, pads and clean, check + fresh fluids, however, check the home paint job!!!!!

As the brakes looked in the wheel:

Name:	brake1.JPG 
Views:	403 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	11094

Then check out the body paint - first gold all over the place, then orange just on the bits you see - priceless!

Name:	brake2.JPG 
Views:	417 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	11095

Here`s one stripped, cleaned, and back to satin black.

Name:	brake3.JPG 
Views:	422 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	11096

The good news was all the pistons were really good - pushed in with light thumb pressure, so just fresh pads, discs and fluids required.

Ah, my spelling can also be a bit crap at times.....

Cheers, Dan.
    Last edited by Danny Boy; 21-03-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: User error...

You are saving the pics about the right resolution but when you upload them from your PC to the forum they will appear as thumbnails. If you host the pics on your own web space somewhere, you will be able to display them full size within your post. That's how I understand it anyway...

3. Default

Ah, just figured out you then click on them for full size - all good - amateur error.

Hi Dan,

It will be good to see this once great car returned to a great NSX!

Good luck and don't be shy calling for help along the way

Keep the updates coming

Regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Danny where are you based, I got a few receipts here for you.

Aren't the wheels on it at the moment 17"?

Are you keeping the same body colour?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    Aren't the wheels on it at the moment 17"?

Are you keeping the same body colour?
    The fronts are 17`s, rears 18`s - they need a refurb + new tyres - though the front tyres are quite new, they are one of those generic makes, so they have to go - I`ve always liked semi-soft Avons so will probably go for them with a 35 profile - though the front/rear sizes will be a pain to match.

Imola Orange - the finest colour ever to grace a Supercar - not to mention the fastest.....

AR - I`m on the Surrey/Sussex border - any paperwork would be great - keep a hold of it for the moment and maybe we can meet up when the car is sorted at an NSX meeting?

Engine work is started today - going to try to get over there with the camera later on....

Thanks, Dan.
    Last edited by Danny Boy; 22-03-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Forgot to answer...

good luck with the project

great to see you putting the time effort and the money to bring this car back to an A1 standard

look forward to reading your progress

perhaps you should set up a blog ... as this will be a biggy by sounds of it!
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

9. Default

Had a look at progress today - working on cam belt, water pump and crank shaft pulley - interestingly, someones already been into the cam housing as a bolt was missing inside (grainey out of phocus pic was supposed to show which one - suggests either a proper cam belt inspection or a belt change - just they missed a bolt! Other than that, all looks good with no evidense of cooked/contaminated oils & deposits.

Name:	DSC01799.JPG 
Views:	442 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	11097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01800.JPG 
Views:	437 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	11098
    First pic more an indulgence, second pic of missing bolt location at top of cam housing.

Cheers, Dan.

PS - blog? Maybe, but Kaz`s blogs are so in depth.....

Dan the (brave) Man.

I really hope it works out well for you - best of luck!
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast