Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Explosive engine?

Sounds very similar to when my a/c compressor seized.

Hope its nothing too drastic for you.

Olly

Okay Bryan from Honda called, he said that the crank pulley has decided to 'become seperated' from the engine, this has then chewed through the cam cover housing and into the cambelt. Apparently it's fairly common (wtf?) so he is starting replacing those parts, a new cambelt and then seeing if there is internal engine damage. I haven't read anything about this part breaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo-Joe View Post
    Okay Bryan from Honda called, he said that the crank pulley has decided to 'become seperated' from the engine, this has then chewed through the cam cover housing and into the cambelt. Apparently it's fairly common (wtf?) so he is starting replacing those parts, a new cambelt and then seeing if there is internal engine damage. I haven't read anything about this part breaking?
    The engine is an interference engine so if the belt snapped then it's likely the valves hit the pistons. There must be a safer way of inspecting the engine with maybe an endoscope or something? You may be able to look at the piston crown or valve to try and detect contact before just fitting a belt and seeing what happens, possibly causing more damage?

The crank pulley detaching is well documented. If you read Kaz's blogs on all his TB/WP services he almost always comments on this.... and the need to replace it a safety precaution. It isn'tmentioned in UK servicing schedules but I think it is in Japanese ones?

Good Luck....

PM me if your engine is damaged. I don't have one but I can give you some info on one before you part with too much cash if it goes that way.

Yeah i've been reading and I didn't realise the harmonic balancer is the crank pulley. I'm a bit gutted (understatement?) that it was in for service and inspection last week and they didn't notice this was on the verge of failing. No mechanic will know everything about the cars they work on but if this is a known issue on older cars then surely you would check? I'll call them now and ask if there is any other way to check the engine, they started work on it at 8am so I was half asleep when I called!

Edit: that sounds a bit harsh and to be honest i'm trying to find someone to blame other then myself..
    Last edited by Tokyo-Joe; 30-01-2012 at 10:41 AM.

I heard you had a warranty? What on and from whom?

Sorry for my bad description earlier on. I follow on from what you wrote that NW said when referring to the crank pulley. This isn't the harmonic balancer. They are two seperate parts. The HB though is visible external of the TB cover and is the one that can detach from the rubber damper. The crank pulley obviously is under the cover with the TB running on it. I'll edit my previous post as not to cause confusion......
    Last edited by Hagasan; 30-01-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Just warranty on the work done by the dealership so unfortunately not related to this issue as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo-Joe View Post
    Yeah i've been reading and I didn't realise the harmonic balancer is the crank pulley. I'm a bit gutted (understatement?) that it was in for service and inspection last week and they didn't notice this was on the verge of failing. No mechanic will know everything about the cars they work on but if this is a known issue on older cars then surely you would check? I'll call them now and ask if there is any other way to check the engine, they started work on it at 8am so I was half asleep when I called!

Edit: that sounds a bit harsh and to be honest i'm trying to find someone to blame other then myself..
    I'm guessing you could reasonably hope that they might notice or at least check the condition of the HB but if you didn't specifically ask it may be difficult to expect? If it only lasted a few hundred miles from when you got the car back it's hard to determine what condition would be detectable at the garage work stage? I think this is a reason just to replace them if there is no history of such replacement. I'm no expert but from what I understand they can go very quickly and be wrecked within a few miles eating into the cover and belt.

Did you here any noises a few minutes before the power loss?

There was a guy in the USA, Titaniumdave on NSXPrime, who made up metal shields to try and avert the failed HB going into the cover.... Not sure if they would work if called upon? I think a few folk in the UK fitted them...many did in the US
    Last edited by Hagasan; 30-01-2012 at 11:06 AM.

There was no noise before the power loss - i'd argue I heard no noise during the engine bogging down either I didn't have stereo on and the exhaust is fairly quiet at cruising speed.

If you have a tip on an engine then please let me know so I can start gathering my options. I see two on ebay.

Ouch. You've been a bit unlucky there. Surprised you never felt any vibration or noise as it went.

Yeah I really didn't feel anything off, it felt like.. a fuel pump dying on another car, just stuttering and gradually all the power being lost.

Pretty bad luck i'd agree, i've owned it for give or take six months, paid a premium for low mileage car, absolutely stacks of history all from Honda dealerships, great condition, spent 3-4k on various tweaks, repairs, preventitive maintanence or upgrades and now looking at a replacement engine. I'd like to say I took it on a european tour or to the track but it's had a really easy low mile life with me.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast