Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: major engine service

1. Default major engine service

Hi those with NSX knowledge,
    I`m about to start the recommisioning of my 3.2 manual NSX. It has done 48,500 and I`m planning on all fluids, filters, plugs and cam belt (probably do the water pump whilst its apart). I have read a couple of nasty looking posts regarding Harmonic Balancer/Crank Pulleys coming off and chewing gears and butterfly screws falling out and getting eaten by the Pistons - are these things I should concern myself with and what course of action should be taken.

If there is anything else we should be addressing whilst under the bonnet please let me know.

Thanks, Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
    I`m about to start the recommisioning of my 3.2 manual NSX. It has done 48,500 and I`m planning on all fluids, filters, plugs and cam belt (probably do the water pump whilst its apart). I have read a couple of nasty looking posts regarding Harmonic Balancer/Crank Pulleys coming off and chewing gears and butterfly screws falling out and getting eaten by the Pistons - are these things I should concern myself with and what course of action should be taken.

If there is anything else we should be addressing whilst under the bonnet please let me know.

Thanks, Dan.
    Erm.... getting your engine relocated to the correct location just kidding

The post regarding the butterfly screws never met with much response...

Definitely go with all what you said as a known good starting point.

Hi Dan,

As you are doing the work yourself this suggests your 3.2 NSX may be a pre-facelift model? If yes, where have you been hiding it ?

a couple of other parts to consider whilst you're in amongst the oily bits would be;

- crankshaft pulley (you've mentioned it) - search for info within the Blog section under Kaz - a definite precautionary swap
    - coolant hoses and clips if never replaced
    - main relay - a precautionary swap and not expensive for peace of mind
    - brake pipes if still OEM
    - caliper overhaul - dependant upon whether your NSX has ever had its calipers overhauled

Hope all goes well, hope to see you out and about this year ...

regards, Paul

Thanks, Dan.
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

best advice go through kaz's threads as well as Sudesh's refresh ... re crank pulley see tokyo-joe's recent failure defo a must. check condition of ignition coils etc too
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

Butterfly screws, it it?

Another reason for hypochondria!
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Hagasan View Post
    Erm.... getting your engine relocated to the correct location just kidding
    What an amateur posting mistake!!!!

Just read through Kaz`es Crank Pulley threads - this will now be regarded as a service item and replaced.

Nope, I`m not tackling this work myself, but I have the option of securing the parts and just paying labour - I figure direct from Honda may be a bit steep - anyone suggest a good source? I note some comprehensive suppliers listed on the forum.

Thanks, Dan.

Tim Poliniak
    Internet Parts Sales
    Acura of Peoria
    www.oemacuraparts.com

anyone suggest a good source?
    Thanks, Dan.

8. Default

Thanks for the link NSXGB - may be TOO good..... the shopping list grows.....

9. Default

What car you got then... Another new owner?

L*
    1998S 3.2 red/black manual 4 years of great memories
    2004 54 red/red manual

---------------------------------------------------
    Quote autocar Nov 2005

"Before the NSX supercars were crap"

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lankstarr View Post
    What car you got then... Another new owner?
    I have picked up AR`s Imola Orange 3.2 (yep, the one that was written off in 2006). The car itself drives well but lacks full history (I beleive the cam belt was changed at around 30,000 but I`m not taking any chances) so I`m going through the whole car, checking repairs, measuring etc.etc. before refreshing the paint etc.

I`ll be posting loads of pics and details once the work starts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast