Thread: my aircon evaporator overhaul

Default my aircon evaporator overhaul

In the continuing quest to narrow down the cause of the overnight condensation (and getting fed up with the prospect of scraping the ice off the outside and inside of the screen) I’ve moved onto the aircon evaporator.

I’ve checked/replaced the usual suspects, door membranes/door seals/frame seals, window adjustment, but to no avail! I experimented, and worked out that if I use the aircon during the day, when I go to it the next morning, the condensation is there, so it must be aircon matrix related. I’ve checked the heater drain tube wasn’t blocked, but I never get an aicon puddle under my car, never have! I’ve already sorted a cabin filter solution, but I’m guessing it’s the already accumulated crud that is giving me the issue (I hope!)

I sourced a replacement one a couple of weeks ago and this morning set to work! I started at 9.18 with what looks just like an NSX!

glovebox/underguard and central armrest out.. (9.30… can you tell I might have done this bit before!)

clock/vent/centre console out….(9.39!)

instruments and electronics out……(10.00)
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

then the main bit…..(10.27)

then it was a dive under the bonnet, spare wheel and carrier out, followed by the battery and heater fan. A good 25 mins was spent persuading the heater rubber hoses to let go of the heater pipes, but with gentle easing they came off! Air con connections disconnected and the heater unit was ready to come out… (I already had the aircon professionally evacuated, to save the ozone and all that, and he was surprised at the large size of the replacement evaporator)

at 12.15 the heater unit was on the floor, not bad!

and a gaping hole was left in the interior
    Last edited by britlude; 24-12-2011 at 07:37 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Now this was the issue I was expecting, loads of crud stuck in the matrix,. I’d already tried to clear the mess before, but access is hardly generous!

the replacement…..

aka Jonathan!!

then once it was changed over and the heater unit reassembled, the car could go back together (1.18!)

I packed up for the day at 3.30 (well it is Christmas!), but the heater unit, all the under bonnet stuff, and the dash were back in…

then put the glove box and door back in! by then it was cold and getting a bit dull for another pic!!! So a productive day, evaporator swapped out and mostly back together! While it was all apart I also sorted out some suspect alarm wiring and routing!Also, whilst tracing a couple of odd wires i found the switch box to the honda security system, bolted onto the tray under the steering column....

i''ve got an aftermarket alarm on the car, so no idea whether this works or not!!!
    Last edited by britlude; 24-12-2011 at 07:41 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

interesting way to spend your Christmas Eve!

great work ... hope the replacement evap does the business for u
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

Wow, talk about F1 pit stops being quick, I've never seen the interior stripped so quickly!

I can't believe how big the heater unit is! Good luck and hope you found the solution.

Umm, not sure its a good idea to show the Honda security system?
    Last edited by TheSebringOne; 24-12-2011 at 11:36 PM.
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

well, i'd done all the xmas wrapping, cards delivered, and my girlfriend is away with her family!!! and as it was dry and relatively mild, I got on with it!

i knew the security control box was there, but had no idea the switch box was fitted! and I've had the car 6 years!!! there's no mention of any of it in the manual, and internet searches show nothing! where it was fitted, i'm pretty sure you can't actually reach it without getting out of the car, and getting your head under the steering wheel!

i did wonder if it was a JDM fitted security system but it's all in english.... oh, it's kenwood too! anyone else recognise it?

i was going to leave the control box off, but i'm not sure if it fires the 5mph lockdown... when i get the car back together i'll have to check!
    aka Jonathan!!

well... it's been a month since i replaced the evaporator, the weather has been wet/dry/cold/frosty/windy and i've used the aircon pretty much every time i've gone out (it'a a daily driver, so quite often)........

... it would seem the accumulated crud in the evap matrix WAS the cause of the overnight condensation, as i've not had a wet screen on the inside since!!! HURRAH, and about time!

so it your car suffers from drippy screen syndrome and you've eliminated the usual suspects, either make sure the aircon is off when the heater is on (stops the matrix having condensation on the outside of it as it dehumidifies the incoming air) or get the evap matrix cleaned! if your car is drippy screen free I suggest sorting a heater intake filter as a preventative measure!!!

aka Jonathan!!

Congrats at last , problem solved!
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour