Thread: Car / Engine vibration

Default Car / Engine vibration

Hey all,

I've recently (this week) noticed on idle the car seems to be vibrating more then it ever did before, there's nothing immediately obvious in the engine bay but if you sit still while idling you can feel it running possibly lumpier? Almost gently jogging back and forth. In a normal 90's car i'd expect it but as the NSX has been so very smooth since I bought it this year it does stand out.

Are there any vibration related service / mechanical items that are worth replacing circa 50k miles?

Now that i'm thinking about this properly it could just be in need of a spark plug change as they were done 10k / several years ago. It's going to Honda in the new year so I will mention it then but any information you NSX guru's can give would be appreciated

Thanks for looking.

Joe

Check your engine mounts for deterioration.
    I believe there is a procedure for tightening up all the engine mounts which if done wrong could cause more than normal vibration. Be worth a search to confirm this if yours has been worked on in this area before.

If the correct platinum plugs were used on your car, they are good for 60000 miles IIRC.

Check your mounts and harmonic damper.

The other thing is spark plug tightness; other hondas have been known to shake them loose if they're not correctly tightened.

Although I would say that the 90 degree offset crank gives the thing an idle like a Trabant & the steering column vibrates like an early Diesel Golf! It's no BMW straight six. It gets very smooth over about 1,500 rpm though. Maybe in the cold weather, you've become more aware of this.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Graves View Post
    It's no BMW straight six. It gets very smooth over about 1,500 rpm though. Maybe in the cold weather, you've become more aware of this.
    O/T - I recall Honda mentioning in an old NSX brochure (page 10)

http://www.noelwatson.com/blog/conte...y/HondaNSX.pdf

that it would pull from 700rpm in 5th all the way to 160mph, and I have confirmed that it will pull well from low down. I tried the same in our 330i and it had very little torque - one advantage of more than one cam profile I guess. I also reckon the NSX is smoother higher up (maybe better breathing) even though the BMW has primary/secondary balance.

Hi,

Parked inside or out? There's been a lot of rain past few days and rear bank can be subject to water ingress, so if not yet done, maybe check plugs/leads for fitent and lack of water as possible case of lumpy tick over at idle.

Hth,

Regard's Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Thanks for the advice chaps

The engine mounts have been loosened so ill get Honda to check those.

The car is always parked outside as I am unfortunately not blessed with a garage.