Thread: how do you fix the broken screw tab of Door Panel?

Default how do you fix the broken screw tab of Door Panel?

I have searched on the forum but have found nothing of how to fix the broken screw tabs of the Door Panel as shown in the picture (taken from NSXprime).

somebody have suggestion on how to repair/fix the problem?

Blog Entries

+1 on the Q-Bond.
    I bought some on eBay, was about £10, to fix the bottom fixing tabs of my glovebox. It works really well.
    I used some dense foam and white-tac ( as opposed to blu-tac ) to help create a mould. Would probably use modelling clay if I did it again as its easier to work with than my choice. Heed the advice Britlude gives regarding building up layers as it goes off really quick. Otherwise you will peel the mould off and half the powder with it. The parts I made were probably 2mm thick, I'd suggest building something that thick up in 2-3 steps.

Q-bond on eBay; item number 170758698138.
    Last edited by NSXGB; 06-01-2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: eBay item added

mmm , I was looking for something more radical , for instance for those tabs completely broken I was thinking of some new plastic tab glued from behind the panel as a sort of replacement that look alike the original, not just a recostruction with resin.
    just my thought

Some new tabs glued from behind? I was thinking along the same lines.

My solution was to make some new tabs out of aluminum, cut, bend, and file them to perfectly fit into the recesses of the door card, and then glue them into place with a two component epoxy. Next I tried to mark where the holes in the tabs should be so that the door card is under as little stress as possible when mounted. To do that, I hung the door card into the door again and made sure it was centered. Then I took a screw with a slightly smaller diameter than the mounting holes in the door, cut the head off, sharpened it to a point, screwed a nut onto it just behind the point, and slid it into a mounting hole in the door. I pressed the tab of the door card against it to mark where the hole should be and repeated that for all of the tabs. Then I removed the door card and drilled and chamfered the holes in the tabs. While the door was open, I also glued little aluminum tabs onto the Bose speakers to make sure those couldn’t break, either.

My hunch is that the tabs of the door cards and speaker enclosures break because the plastic gets brittle with age and is then no longer able to withstand the twisting forces imparted by the mounting screws. Putting washers underneath the screws would probably go a long way towards preventing the brittle plastic tabs from breaking in the first place.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aluminum tabs on door card.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	10844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aluminum tab on speaker enclosure.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	10845  

One more thought: gluing an additional tab on from behind basically means putting a spacer between the door and the door card. That will move the door card a bit further away from the door than Honda intended when the lower door seals were designed. To make sure the seals still work properly, I’d try to move the door card away from its original position as little as I can. When gluing an additional tab onto the door card, that means making it as thin as possible. The aluminum tabs I glued behind my broken plastic tabs are (if I remember correctly) 1 mm thick and with that thickness, the doors still seal exactly as before.

If your tabs are almost completely gone, I would consider first rebuilding them with Q-Bond as described above and then just strengthening them with some thin additional aluminum tabs glued in from behind.

Another alternative would be to file away the stumps of your broken plastic tabs far enough that you can completely replace them with thicker, sturdy aluminum tabs that still mount the door card in its original position.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Additional aluminum tab glued onto door card.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	10848  

If you are in a rush, just a big size repair washer can hold it until a more permanent repaired is carried out.

This is exactly what I meant
    also ,thin nylon washers can better distribute the pressure on the tab

thanks