Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: NSX badge tipped to reappear at Detroit motor show

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Graves View Post
    Exactly - it's only the same as braking the NSX into a corner to load up the front end & quell understeer - only more sophisticated.

Those who move away from centre-point steering geometry with hellawheels will certainly notice it though!

Porsche's friction-drive-toy system seems crude; a battery/ultracap combo ought to work better. And Honda has its IMA to help regeneration.

The DI is interesting. Unlike Toyota's belt n' braces approach of retaining indirect injection for low-load conditions, Honda has apparently done something with the EGR/PCV systems which are the cause of the issue. Obviously they ain't telling just yet.

I dunno, using the atkinson cycle to 'quench' the inlet valves, or recycling gases by leaving the exhausts open for the first part of the inlet stroke? Storing them up in a big balloon?
    So the next question I would have is - why don't Honda go the whole way and remove the direct link from engine to wheels? Don't they do that with the Volt? Was also wondering how they get around the unsprung mass issues of having the motors in the hub...

Quote Originally Posted by NoelWatson View Post
    So the next question I would have is - why don't Honda go the whole way and remove the direct link from engine to wheels? Don't they do that with the Volt? Was also wondering how they get around the unsprung mass issues of having the motors in the hub...
    Good questions;

The Volt uses a Toyota-licensed engine & emotor vs emotor CVT system - CVTs aren't very good for sporty cars. People hate the 'slipping' feeling. Honda has a system for the Accord like that, but with a direct engine to wheels drive:

4. A two-motor hybrid system which realizes top-of-industry efficiency.
    ・A two-motor hybrid system featuring top-of-industry efficiency enhancing driving performance and reduced CO2 emissions has been newly developed.
    ・Special lithium-ion battery and charger is employed to enable mounting on plug-in hybrid vehicles. ・Mid-sized vehicles equipped with this system are scheduled to begin production, starting with the plug-in hybrid model in 2012 and the hybrid model in 2013.
    ・Three driving modes allowing for optimal efficiency for various driving environments were developed; an “EV driving mode” for urban environments, a “hybrid driving mode” using electricity generated by the motor, and a “engine-connected driving mode” where the engine and tires are mechanically connected during high-speed cruising.
    ・Combination with a high-output 120kW motor allows for superior environmental performance and driving enjoyment.

They don't use hub motors for the reason you state - the two are in a sort of diff casing & use driveshafts.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

All,

Evo and Auto Express are running stories on the new 'NSX' this week. Evo has artist impression but A E has what looks to be actual photos of the new coupe . . . And it looks really good IMO

Regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...honda_nsx.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_485974_25.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	10840
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_485971_25.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	10841

Not quiet what I had expected...the sequel may not live up to the original.

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post

Not quiet what I had expected...the sequel may not live up to the original.

SS
    Now that's strange ... I saw this in the mag and thought it looked OK ... Seeing it here and especially in the rear view, it looks like a flattened Dodge Charger ... Just what the US Market is looking for ...

So will wait till seeing in the metal

Regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

I quite like it....probably end up nothing like that in the end. Hint of R8 in there too.
    Do they give any indication of estimated price?

Theres a different looking picture in this month's Evo.

Looks ok, a bit more technical detail give, especially how the new drive train
    is being tried out on an Accord!
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

I only mentioned it ages ago lol!

That AE set of images looks like an Americanised R8 - and given the R8 is now 4 years old, and the "new NSX" is at least 12months from launch, that's NOT a good thing - the car will look dated at launch!
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

am i the only one that doesn't want it called an nsx?
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast