Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: NSX badge tipped to reappear at Detroit motor show

1. Cool

1998S 3.2 red/black manual 4 years of great memories
    2004 54 red/red manual

---------------------------------------------------
    Quote autocar Nov 2005

"Before the NSX supercars were crap"

I think 4wd using leccy motors to drive one end was inevitable but I'm thankful that the layout is the correct way round i.e. engine behind the driver A V6 is a good choice both in terms of the sound it can make and that it links back to the original. The challenge will be to keep the weight down!

How about really small turbocharged V6, say 1.6Ltr (F1 anyone), and hope Honda come up with a much lighter design with their interpretation of the dual clutch gearbox. I'd like to see them use lightweight composites (carbonfibre etc) in the structure rather than just decoratively and some beautiful forged aluminum suspension components again. The EV side will kill the all up weight but whether I like it or not it's the way forward for mainstream manufacturers.

Handling and ride will be as much down to the software engineers as the mechanical engineers because as well as the integration between petrol and electric power they will be responsible for the power steering, stability control systems, damping and possibly active aero components. We'll see

Cheers

Mark
    Last edited by markc; 13-12-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Typo
    The older I get, the faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by NoelWatson View Post
    I'm not sure that would improve understeer - need to brake the inner rear as Porsche etc do.
    Might also make for interesting steering if people put silly-offset wheels on their cars, but it's the way Honda's eSH-AWD works. The rear end is a sort of V6 DCT version of the CR-Z's IMA system, so you could configure 3-wheel regen. braking on the way in & 3WD on the way out, to neutralise oversteer.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

I presume that a DCT 'box precludes fitment of a proper LSD, a-la our steed? I ask because I've not read about a single E-diff equipped car which has performed as well as a proper mechanical one. But software is cheaper than hardware, so I won't bet against this having the same.

...of course, as Nick says, positive torque-vectoring via the front motors might be rather useful, IF it's set-up properly (manettino-style? steadily more aggressive...)
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

I cannot see why you couldn't fit an LSD to a DCT. The clutch engagement gets confused anyway, as some of the neighbours' vages frequently demonstrate.

Mind you, Evoras & stuff seem OK with a FRED-LSD to me. The NSX's seems to light up the TCS on tight turn getaways and kills the power.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

In fact, the biggest concern would be flattening the battery on track/the twisties.

Unless it uses a Wayne KERS-style ultracapacitor.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Graves View Post
    Might also make for interesting steering if people put silly-offset wheels on their cars, but it's the way Honda's eSH-AWD works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SH-AWD

I can't find anything on here that mentions vectoring at the front end in a four wheel drive application. I'm not sure why you would want to either.

Sorry Noel, you're a generation behind the rest of us! I said eSH-AWD:

5. A high-efficiency, high output electric SH-AWD hybrid system which combines superior driving and environmental performance.
    ・A new hybrid system, electric SH-AWD, was developed for large-sized vehicles. By combining a 3.5L, V6 engine with this hybrid system, acceleration equivalent to V8 engines, as well as fuel efficiency equal or superior to in-line 4-cylinder engines were realized.
    ・An electric 4WD system with independent 20kW+ motors on both sides for the rear wheels combines a 7-speed dual clutch transmission system with a built-in 30kW+ high-efficiency motor with the engine.
    ・By mounting a high-performance lithium-ion battery and optimally controlling the front and rear motors, a new hybrid system with high fuel efficiency and output was realized.
    ・By mounting two independent motors in the rear and employing a newly developed bilateral torque adjustable control system, incredibly tight “on-the-rail” cornering is realized, providing a stable ride for all daily driving environments.

That's the application for the RLegendo (to replace the current car with the heavy mechanical system you describe) and they'll basically 'reverse' it to make a MR layout.

Also:

"Acura wouldn't tell us anything about the engine or powertrain, but off the record they were quick to tell us that the announced Electric SH-AWD system with 3.5L DI V6 was clearly not potent enough for this car. It should be noted that THAT powertrain, with its 7-speed dual clutch gearbox and 3 electric motors, develops a peak output in the neighborhood of 400hp. Obviously with the MR layout, Honda has to engineer a very specific setup for this car, and we're assuming it will essentially be a reversed layout compared to the FF-oriented design which was revealed previously.

We are hopeful that it will receive a very special high output, high revving gasoline engine that is fitting of the NSX heritage, while leveraging the electric motors and onboard battery to deliver on the "smart luxury" promise of excellent fuel economy. Acura told us that they would be releasing more information and details about this car at the upcoming Detroit Auto Show."
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Graves View Post
    That's the application for the RLegendo (to replace the current car with the heavy mechanical system you describe) and they'll basically 'reverse' it to make a MR layout.

I'm not convinced it will be as simple as reversing it - I can't see how vectoring would work in a MR setup through the front wheels - guess time will tell. Of more concern is that Honda is going to direct injection. Have they solved the carbon buildup issues......

EDIT: Seems Porsche have it working

http://www.futurecars.com/news/hybri...el-hybrid-kers
    Last edited by NoelWatson; 13-12-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Exactly - it's only the same as braking the NSX into a corner to load up the front end & quell understeer - only more sophisticated.

Those who move away from centre-point steering geometry with hellawheels will certainly notice it though!

Porsche's friction-drive-toy system seems crude; a battery/ultracap combo ought to work better. And Honda has its IMA to help regeneration.

The DI is interesting. Unlike Toyota's belt n' braces approach of retaining indirect injection for low-load conditions, Honda has apparently done something with the EGR/PCV systems which are the cause of the issue. Obviously they ain't telling just yet.

I dunno, using the atkinson cycle to 'quench' the inlet valves, or recycling gases by leaving the exhausts open for the first part of the inlet stroke? Storing them up in a big balloon?
    Nick

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast