Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery bracket woes

Default Battery bracket woes

Hi guys.

Sudesh fitted a brand new battery bracket just over a year ago to my NSX and not long after the coating started to crack off and rust the metal underneath.

It seems that the steel underneath isn't primed with anything to bind the plastic coating to it, hence my problem:

Any suggestions as to what to do?

Have Honda revised this part since?

Obviously I can't paint it as it would be conductive.

Quote Originally Posted by gcon45 View Post
    .........Obviously I can't paint it as it would be conductive........
    Er, mine looked the same (albeit 8 yrs old at the time), so I stripped it, primed and painted it and its been fine ever since.

As it secures the battery by the plastic body of the battery I didn't even give it a second thought ...

You've got me concerned now!

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Blog Entries

Just use Plasti Dip.

Strip down the rust and old paint to the bare metal and first prime it.

Even the primer spray from Halfords is fine.

And then, for this kind of application, it is easier to use the sprayable Plasti Dip than the ‘dip can' one.

You can apply multiple coats, if you want.
    Easy DIY.

Kaz

I used a plastic coating powder for mine. Wire brushed back to bare metal, no need to prime. Heat up with blow torch and coat with the powder, a bit more heat and the coating smoothes out flat and very hard wearing.

Thanks for the replies chaps!

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Er, mine looked the same (albeit 8 yrs old at the time), so I stripped it, primed and painted it and its been fine ever since.

As it secures the battery by the plastic body of the battery I didn't even give it a second thought ...

You've got me concerned now!

regards, Paul
    Paul - I would paint it in a flash but it's just that in the event of a (God forbid) front impact the bracket could bridge the battery and cause a fire.

Not as tidy-looking as plastic-dipped, but I've just got mine wrapped in black electrical tape.
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

I wouldnt just paint it either, the bracket location for me is not a great design and as Conor pointed out, in the unlucky case of accident, it could shift and bridge connections.

Plastic dip sounds interesting, never seen this done before! Anyone any pics?

I did think about making them in CF but like the rest of the stuff, not worth it.
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

Just bought a can of plastidip black aerosol last night:

I will report back!

Tumescent tape from Maplins is Cheap and cheerful!

Quote Originally Posted by gcon45 View Post
    ......... I would paint it in a flash but it's just that in the event of a (God forbid) front impact the bracket could bridge the battery and cause a fire..........
    If you bend it enough for the bracket to short the battery I doubt its going to matter much what happens next as you probably wont be around to take notice ...
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast