Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust flexipipe

1. Default Exhaust flexipipe

And so the refresh continues Looks like (no, make that sounds & feels like) my front flexipipe has developed a fracture after 16years of service. Having picked myself up off the floor after my call to Honda Parts Dept, I've decided it would be a good idea to investigate s/h replacement options (or maybe even repair?) not just on a cost basis, but also on the basis of being able to fix it whilst its up on axle stands - sourcing a new replacement could take weeks.

I've spoken to JapParts and they have promised several times to get back to me, to no avail as yet. I wonder if they really do want my business / have NSX's to break? If anyone can recommend either a fix, or s/h parts supplier I'd be most grateful for the info!

****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

Hi Steve,
    As Simon pointed out... I would ask Adnan at AS Motorsport as I think they would be the best bet. He is quick to reply!

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

Or send an email to Dirk ...
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Hi Steve,

Post a pic of the flexi-pipe...Can it be repaired as there are some good exhaust fabricators in Basildon including H&S which I am sure can re-weld it for £20-40.

SS

Blog Entries

If your NSX is 3.0L NA1 model and if we are indeed talking about the same thing as ‘the front flexipipe’ as ‘front down pipe’ (which has flexible joint covered with meshed protector), then it is not that difficult to remove it off the car and I agree with Silver Surfer that any decent exhaust shops should be able to weld it at reasonable cost.

If it is 3.2L NA2 model, then that’s another story as you will need to remove the front cross member.

There is not much point in using the used replacement part because the exhaust shop should be able to weld in a short replacement pipe even if you have a huge hole on your existing one.

Please note that OEM manifold/down pipe consists of twin tube structure.

Therefore, even if you saw a crack at the pipe, you must feel for the actual exhaust gas to confirm the leakage.

Quite often, even you saw a crack, there is high possibility that there is no exhaust leakage on your pipes.

Alternatively, if your NSX is 3.0L NA1 model, may be your NSX is crying to release the hidden engine power and it’s time to consider replacing your heavy and on purposely restricted exhaust manifold to the aftermarket header.

Regards,
    Kaz

7. Default

Haha thanks for some good responses guys! For clarity, my car is a '95 3.0 manual UK car, and its the flexible section connected to the downpipe which is beginning to come apart - you can see it quite clearly in this picture:

I've spoken to a few other folks since I posted yesterday and just about everyone is recommending that it can be repaired quite easily, by chopping out the old flexipipe section and welding in a new piece of the same size - SS if you have any recommendations I'd much appreciate them! And Kaz thanks for your verbose reply - am I right in understanding that you can service NSX? My car is due for a large service (valve clearances etc, albeit complete brake refresh has already been done).

cheers,
    Steve

Steve,
    The woven overbraid is [I believe] only a protective sleeve, if you squeeze it you should feel a corrugated section pipe within it, hence the pipe might not be leaking. My external braided sleeve is breaking up in a similar fashion, to date I've put a couple of jubilee/worm drive clips around the frayed sections, but left enough gap between them so the inner pipe shouldn't be stressed when it heats up or flexies. Thinking about it, a good lagging with a high temp silicone sealant would probably work, surely all it has to do is keep the crud off the inner pipe.
    Duncan

Hi Steve,

Try :

Pipecraft
    Unit 22-23
    Orion Court
    Cranes Farm Road
    Basildon
    Essex
    SS14 3DB

They did my 'Halfords twin exit tips' weld for me when I had my car initially while I wait.
    SS
    Last edited by Silver Surfer; 21-09-2011 at 09:10 PM.

10. Default

Meant to reply to this earlier - the guys at Pipecraft did a great job, at considerably less than it would have cost from Honda!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast