Thread: NSX ABS Power Unit failure

Default NSX ABS Power Unit failure

I brought the car (NSX NA1) to make the diagnosis in a Honda workshop, because the ABS light comes on (ALB).

the car is not been used for 3 years

ABS Diagnosis says that the circuit does not go in pressure.
    Possible causes include the failure of the ABS Power Unit, electric motor or oil pump failure or pressure accumulator also broken.
    Replacement of pump and accumulator is quite expensive.
    Does anyone know if you can disassemble and check the Power Unit, check electric motor and the pump, check the accumulator?
    could it be a problem of air bleed after oil change, or the accumulator pressure switch failure?
    is that system similar to other Honda models? Any advice?

thanks

Blog Entries

Hi, stankosab.

If you are referring to the ‘ABS controller (brain)’ as the ‘ABS Power Unit’, then it is very unlikely to fail.

If you are referring to the ‘ABS Pump and Accumulator’ as the ‘ABS Power Unit’, then it is possible for them to fail but I’ll wait until you have checked for the ‘leaky solenoid’ issue that we may touch on the future posts depending on the further info you may supply.

Bit more information such as LHD, RHD, year model, etc on your NSX will help especially the ABS generation.

Also, what was the ABS error code?
    Was it #1??

If you visit my ‘NSX Technical and Service Information Index’ (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...ormation-Index), you will find the following info under the ‘Brake’ section;

‘ABS History’
    You can distinguish the 1st and 2nd generation by the shape of the reservoir.

Please have a look at the 1st and 2nd photo.

As you can see, the reservoir on the 1st generation is pretty much just a square box shape whereas the 2nd generation one has partial protrude/extension piece.

Be careful with the RHD and LHD as the orientation and the tiny detail are different between the two. The photos are for the RHD.

If your ABS is 1st generation, you are very likely to have leaky solenoid issue as your NSX was not in use for 3 years.

This would be the starting point for the diagnosis.

Kaz

thanks Kaz

i'm reading all your threads , is like a bible , I find many information I was looking for long time
    for the ABS I will check the solenoids but i'm almost sure that i will do the NA2 upgrade.
    I see you are using the Yokohama Neova AD-08 on original 16' widht 7' and 17' widht 8,5' wheels.
    i'm going to order the same tyres , front 215/45 R16 and rear 245/40 R17 and also want buy the Volk CE28N of same size (widht) of original wheels.
    How mounts 215/45 on widht 7' and 245/40 on widht 8,5' wheels?
    do they fit nicely ? maybe need a bigger widht?
    unforunately , for the front wheels the CE28N are available only with 42mm offset instead of the original 55 mm , hope that this will not affect the driveability
    Need also to repair the seat leather , and fix the A/C control unit...

thanks,regards

Blog Entries

Hi, stankosab.

If you want to investigate further the issue on your existing ABS, I'll appreciate if you can provide us with the information requested in the above post.
    Then, we can support you better.

As this thread is regarding the issue of ABS, I will only touch briefly on the wheels and tyres.

If you are going down the aftermarket route, you don’t need to stick with the same tyre size as the OEM ones.

You need to be very careful when you are changing the offset or any part of the suspension setup.

It will increase the load to the hub/knuckle, driveshaft, etc.

Needless to say the clearance to the brake calliper.

You need to check the requirement of your selected tyre size before selecting the wheel.

If you reduce the offset too much, it will significantly affect your handling/steer feeling.

For my setup, 40mm offset would be the limit at the front.

Kaz

Yes you are right
    The car is a NA1 of 1991 LHD , 1st gen ABS (as i remember )
    Don’t know what’s the error code because I gave the car to the shop and I back after they made the diagnosis , they just talked about the lack of pressure and the likely failure of the ABS Pump and Accumulator
    I'm abroad now, the car is in my friend's workshop, in italy now everybody are in vacation, so is better postpone this thread after vacations.
    meanwhile i will discuss about wheels in another thread

thanks

confirmed, is first generation ABS