Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My NSX mini me!!!

Default My NSX mini me!!!

Damn, should have put 'picture heavy' in the title! sorry!!!

After all the positive comments about the mini me NSX at Japfest, and subsequent shows, I thought it about time that I did a little write up…

After Japfest, I decided to give the model a good detail, like it should have had originally, had Rosso made it properly! Alas for a 1/12th scale model the level of detail is pretty much that of a cheap 1/24th scale….. This is a shame, as the box artwork shows the wheel brace needed to remove the 5 tiny nuts holding on each wheel, which indeed they do, but that is the extent of the detailing on this large scale kit. Disappointing to say the least, so I decided to give the model some more detail that is fitting for a model of this size!

Here’s the level of detail the model comes with (pics robbed off the interweb)

As you can see, not alot!!!

here’s what I started with, just to add to the mix, the model I got was from America, so only had the LHD option parts…
    Last edited by britlude; 28-07-2011 at 10:38 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

So the first step was to change everything over to RHD in the front, fuse box, master cylinder and various other bits. The most awkward part was the ABS setup, this involved the ABS unit being chopped up into 4 pieces to get all the parts reversed and a completely new ABS guard bar!!

Everything moved, and some wiring added

abs guard and some brake lines

ali rad top taking shape…..
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Next up was the engine bay, the engine sub-assembly wasn’t overly detailed like the rest of the model…

so vacuum lines, plumbing, fuel lines, throttle cable, and so on were made up and fitted. Along with everything that’s missing in the red pic at the top.. fuel filter, enginebay fan, and so on

aka Jonathan!!

the biggest challenge was the interior, a big LHD to RHD change, lots of chopping up to get it looking right.

once the dash was sorted and smoothed, the centre console was attacked, chopped into 5 pieces, and reassembled the right way around! I really wish the RHD had been in the original kit I got!

the carpet was from a dolls house supplier, the green leather seats were covered with seriously shaved down offcuts from the retrim, and the auto shifter was whittled out of a blob of glue! auto pedals are on the todo list!
    Last edited by britlude; 28-07-2011 at 10:41 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Anyway here’s how it turned out….

aka Jonathan!!

turned out alright (big smilie face!!!)!!! I'm particularly proud of the ABS warning label, scanned, reduced, printed and fits as per original!

maybe i should have mentioned the real car/model car comparison pics......

and perhaps not mention repainting the real spare wheel to match the model.......
    Last edited by britlude; 28-07-2011 at 10:43 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Keep the details coming ... I love this Mini Me.

I've got 4 different models from which I hope to build a mini me of S2. Is your kit metal or plastic bodied? Any tips of cut n shut for the plastic kits/parts?

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

at least i managed to finish it before your post landed! just as well i had it all typed out and just had to copy and paste here!!!!

it's a plastic kit, Airfix style, bits on sprues and all that! the trick for cut and shut on plastic kits is decent glue, in my case 'plastic weld' solvent stuff!
    aka Jonathan!!

Nice work Jonathan! I noticed and liked the little ABS resevoir label as I looked through the picks and thought that was neat as were the slam panel info plates too. What is the plate over your throttle body all about (faithfully reproduced on the model)?

Have you had any ABS/CEL warning lights since your mods ?!?!? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    at least i managed to finish it before your post landed! just as well i had it all typed out and just had to copy and paste here!!!!

it's a plastic kit, Airfix style, bits on sprues and all that! the trick for cut and shut on plastic kits is decent glue, in my case 'plastic weld' solvent stuff!
    Timing is everything ;o)

Any particular brand of plastic weld that you'd recommend? Also, what filler did you use for the dash? My project will require me to mix and match pre and post 02 specs so will need some filler work.

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast