Thread: How to read the error code...

Blog Entries

Default How to read the error code...

Probably, already being posted by other members and you can find similar info on NSX Prime but as many owners sent me similar question email on this topic, decided to share the procedure that I used in the reply.

I’ll try to update this over the time to cover most of the controllers as some of the procedures are different from others.

The most important thing:
    Even if the Workshop Manual or someone asks you to do so, DO NOT reset the error code until you have read it.

On some of the controllers, disconnecting the battery or letting it below a certain voltage will result in resetting the error code so be careful.

First, please refer to the following pdf file for the basic instruction.

SCS.pdf

It is for the LHD model and also it is for the Engine MIL/CEL but you will get the idea.

For those with OBD-2 model, you can still use this procedure if you don’t have the DTC reader.

Most of the controllers use Long and Short blinks of warning light to show the error code.

However, the early ABS system (the one with the famous squeaking noise from the ABS pump and the sticky solenoids issue) will only show Short blinks with the ‘Main’ and ‘Sub’ code separated by 1sec pause/interval.

On some of the controllers, they have the ‘light bulb check mode’ at the very beginning of the process so be careful not to confuse it as part of the error code.

Most of the controllers will keep showing the error code until you turn the IGN switch OFF.
    However, there are a few controllers that have a certain time out and thus, won’t repeat showing the code.
    For these controllers, simply turn the IGN switch OFF and then ON again to start the new reading process.

The SCS Blue connector

[The photo may look different depending on the spec of your NSX but the Blue 2pin SCS connector is the same for any spec.]

The Blue 2pin SCS connector is located at the passenger foot well area.

At the factory, it is secured to the left top edge of the silver metal ‘kick-panel’ using the blank mating connector.
    However, on many NSX, the SCS connector was not placed back in its original position after the diagnosis and tacked away somewhere else so you may need to search for it.

On later models (95+), you may have another blue 3pin connector next to the SCS 2pin one.
    3pin one is for the data communication so please make sure to locate the 2pin one for the SCS purpose.

1. Not required but easier if you peel the passenger area carpet off.

2. The Blue 2pin SCS connector.

3. Just remove it from the blank mating connector.

4. Create short circuit by using the proper mating connector.

However, most of the owners are using just the paper clip instead….

If using the paper clip, please make sure to insert it from the back (WIRE side) and not to the terminal face/opening as it could damage the terminal itself.

5. Turn the IGN switch ON but do not start the engine and follow the procedure in the above pdf file.

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 05-07-2020 at 11:54 AM. Reason: photo link updated, extra info on 3pin blue connector nearby

Dear Kaz,
    I've been reading error codes as you have advised. Alongside the blue connector is a pink connector which can be seen in the photographs. On my car this was disconnected! I've reconnected it but am not clear what is it's purpose? Can you advise?

Blog Entries

Hi, pralognan.

The pink one is for the classic ABS diagnosis and it’s connected to the mating pink blank connector that is acting only as a holder to secure the cable at the top of metal 'kick' plate so no control devices beyond that connectors.

This pink connector was designed to be used in conjunction with the Honda 'ABS Checker' at the Honda garage but almost all of the diagnosis can be done without it. I never had to use this pink connector for any ABS related issues.

Kaz

Hi Kaz,

I am a bit confused, is the blue connector also used for reading the classic ABS code as well as the ecu code?

Thanks

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    Hi, pralognan.

The pink one is for the classic ABS diagnosis and it’s connected to the mating pink blank connector that is acting only as a holder to secure the cable at the top of metal 'kick' plate so no control devices beyond that connectors.

This pink connector was designed to be used in conjunction with the Honda 'ABS Checker' at the Honda garage but almost all of the diagnosis can be done without it. I never had to use this pink connector for any ABS related issues.

Kaz
    NA6 + NA1

Blog Entries

Hi, Alan.
    The blue SCS connector is used for 'reading the error code' on any controllers that are linked/connected to it. Those include the ECU, ABS, TCS, EPS, etc. If you look at the system diagram of each controller or connector pinout that you can find in the workshop manual, you will see 'SCS' terminal in there. That is the terminal connected to one of the pin at the blue connector. The other pin is simply connected to the SG.
    In other words, all SCS terminal at each controllers are connected in parallel to the blue connector.
    When you short the 2pins at the blue connector using the proper short connector or the famous 'paper clip' method, you are simply bringing the SCS terminal at all controllers linked to the blue connector to the GND level.
    Thus, you can read the error code from many controllers simultaneously.

Regarding the ABS, blue connector is used for 'reading the error code' for both the classic and the later spec one body ABS introduced from 99/00 models depending on the year model definition in each country.

The pink connector is for the diagnosis (not for reading the code) purpose to monitor the raw w/speed signal as well as to simulate the wheel lock up signal in order to activate the solenoid through the ALB checker.

If you have 'upgraded' the classic ABS to the latest spec using aftermarket ABS upgrade loom, the SCS terminal at the upgraded ABS controller is not linked to the blue connector unless you have modified the chassis loom.
    Therefore, you will need to have dedicated SCS terminal just for the upgraded ABS in order to 'read the error code'.

Kaz

Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 21-11-2014 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo, extra info

HI Kaz,

Thank you so much for your explanation, as i thought the blue plug is for ECU code reading only and always wonder how could i read the ABS code...

Thanks again for your prompt reply and now I have something to do on my car this weekend

Alan
    NA6 + NA1