Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spare tyre......

Default spare tyre......

following on from Duncans research into the tweaked Mercedes Benz spare wheel solution, I set upon sorting my own spare tyre....

as you can see, after the best part of 20 years of getting hot/cooling down/getting hot..... and so on, the rubber was past it's best....

Of course, as soon as I hit E-of-the-bay there were no MB wheels to be seen, i trawled around, finding a set of 4 porsche 944 wheels, but £100+ was excessive, but I found an audi spare....

unfotunately it turned out to be a A2 optional spare, 155/70x15, so was a good 1 1/2 inches shorter when inflated, and to add insult to injury the A2 is 100mmx5 pcd, so no chance of fettling the bolt holes to suit anyway!

oh well, back on ebay for that! at least got some money back!
    Last edited by britlude; 01-06-2011 at 06:46 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

In the meantime, some lucky soul had bought the four porsche wheels and removed the tyres so he could use the wheels on his Golf and relisted the tyres at £15 each.... Now obviously the tyres are impossible to remove/fit as they are not available for sale except to OEM.. you'd think they were bonded/fitted by magic.... apparently not!

anyhoo, I received the best tyre of the bunch, and had little to lose!

a good as new Vredstein tyre, in glorious 165x15

with the tyre and spare i set off to my trusted tyre firm, been using them for years, and they know what they are doing.... needless to say they've never done a space saver like this, and never seen one off the rim! so with a little encouragement i persuaded them to have a go! After the initial 'no we can't do it' i left it with them to have a play, on my return it was described as 'far easier than expected'..... and for a tenner!

so a shiny new tyre fitted, it was lobbed in the car, the overall diameter is about 10mm bigger when deflated, but fits in just fine!
    one less thing to worry about! I really should give the wheel a paint up....
    Last edited by britlude; 29-06-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Great job, sounds like a great solution to a problem that affects us all with an older NSX.
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Great work again Jonathan! Super solution to the £1000+ replacement from our friend Honda lol

Can I ask, have you blown the tire up yet and tested to see if stays up ok?
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

yes, it was inflated at the tyre fitters as they were fascinated how it works, and to make sure it did work!
    aka Jonathan!!

6. Default

does this imply that if you can find the same type of tyre on any other wheel that it can be removed and refitted on the NSX spare rim ?

Sorry if I seem obtuse

Mike

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sorepaws View Post
    does this imply that if you can find the same type of tyre on any other wheel that it can be removed and refitted on the NSX spare rim ?

Sorry if I seem obtuse

Mike
    It would be great if that were the case as i would guess that most of have a decent rim, just not the tyre.

well.... there is no implication, it's what I did!

i bought a tyre off a porsche 944 space saver, the person i bought it off had removed said tyre and then sent it to me. I then got my local friendly tyre-fitters to have a go at taking the tyre off the nsx spare and fitting the 944 tyre.

the only issue was that the tyre fitters hadn't done it before (they now have) and were reluctant to try. I told them to have a go as there was nothing to lose, if it hadn't worked I'd have a nsx spare with no tyre which is pretty much as good as a nsx spare with a tyre I didn't want to use! if it had gone pear shaped I'd have gone with the Duncan MB spare mod!

there doesn't seem to be any obvious reason why the tyres are not available to buy individually, only as wheel/tyre combinations.(apart from an amazing mark-up opportunity)
    Last edited by britlude; 07-12-2021 at 02:41 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

9. Default

Just to update this thread. I have just done exactly the same as the OP. I bought a brand new Mercedes space saver off ebay. There seem to be lots for sale. Mine was brand new for £35 inc delivery. The tyre is a Vredstein space master 165 15" 89y and although the tyre fitter had not done one before, he started by taking the redundant old hondatyre off the Honda rim, which was easy. It was also easy to remove the new Vredstein from the merc rim but a little harder to refit the new tyre to the Honda rim. Nothing a bit of lube and persuasion could not sort out and it inflated fully and properly on the rim.

I really do hope no one has handed a grand to Honda for the pleasure. This is the easy route to refreshing the space saver for peanuts.

just to resurrect and old thread, this is also something I am looking at doing, just need to find a tyre place near me that fancies having a go.

Cheers,

Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast