Thread: broken tabs on door panel?

Default broken tabs on door panel?

in the process of retrimming the seats and matching door panel inserts, i finally got round to sorting the broken tabs on the edge of the door panel......

here's how I did it (obviously its just one way of many)

I started with a product called Q-Bond, which is basically superglue and filler powders....

Now using some plasticine/modelling clay I used a good tab to make a simple mould...

carefully remove the mould and place on the broken tab...
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

the mould was then filled with some of the kits black powder, and the superglue added

more powder was used to fill any low points (better not to have too thick a layer of powder for the glue to soak into, it can 'set' before its soaked all the way through!)
    the mould was removed....

and with a quick tidy-up, we have a new tab!
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Top effort Jonathan!!!
    I also use Q-bond....£10 of ebay and last a long time!....repairs all my childrens toys and used it to rebuild my mum's MB fog light surround after she hit a fox at night!
    I like the part where it emits a wisp of smoke when you drop glue onto the powder....
    SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

Great work Jonathan!

Those little tabs are very easily damaged and although you can purchase the rail garnish separate, its not cheap as usual.

Thats a top solution you have come up with. I've never use Q Bond, but have just purchased some to have try.

Thanks for sharing!
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

Wow.

Is that stuff even better than JB Weld?

Think I'll mould me next car out of JB Weld...
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Nice work, thanks for sharing
    Purple '95 manual targa

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Graves View Post
    Wow.

Is that stuff even better than JB Weld?

Think I'll mould me next car out of JB Weld...
    better than JB weld in that it goes off/cures/dries in 10 seconds. (superglue activator sorts any excess) it can be brittle, but you can compensate by making it a little thicker...
    aka Jonathan!!

Excellent fix there, that's another one for my to-do list
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    better than JB weld in that it goes off/cures/dries in 10 seconds. (superglue activator sorts any excess) it can be brittle, but you can compensate by making it a little thicker...
    Thanks! got some anyway to play with.

JB's good in that it stays flexible, but it can be a real PIA keeping it in shape until it goes off. You can spend 1/2 day poking it with a cocktail stick sometimes.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson