Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown

Default Blown

When I bought my car a year ago I asked on the forum about my concerns at the car not coming with a spare but instead some gooey stuff in a can.

Well, on the Edinburgh ring road on my way south from Aberdeen I went around a roundabout and was about to floor it when I realised that I had blown the rear nearside tyre. I managed to crawl 800m to the slip road where I inspected the damage. Flat. 1,000 cars an hour go round that roundabout and I am the one who gets a puncture.

The gooey stuff was useless of course. So I called the AA who sent a recovery truck to pick me up. Meanwhile some very helpful guys from BEAR motorway maintenance turned up and placed cones around me while checking with local tyre companies re replacement tyres. They quickly located one. After less than an hour the truck turned up and having endured the ignominy of my car being stuck at the side of Edinburgh's busiest road I now had to endure the further ignominy of being driven 10 miles in a recovery truck with the car on the back.

Anyway, the tyre company replaced the tyre - a 3 cm long bolt had blown a hole the size of a 50p piece in the tyre - and relieved me of 180 quid. Just over 2 hours after the incident happened I was on my way.

Now this was a weekday afternoon near a big city. What if it had been a weekend or after hours in the country? My question is what are the options other than carrying the spare? Is it a matter of a risk game? I had my last puncture 10 years ago so maybe it is. Ensure you have AA recovery or equivalent and if the worst happens be prepared to wait it out until you can replace the tyre.

I would be interested in any comments. How often have members had punctures?

David
    1999 3.2 Manual NA2 Targa in Formula Red

Sounds like you were quite lucky in terms of how you were looked after by the AA and the maintenance guys, and being able to source a replacement tyre quickly. Could have been much worse.

I don't think I'd go out without a spare, although tbh the OEM space savers are getting pretty old now, so I'm not sure how well mine would work if I needed it.

I've seen a thread somewhere, I think on here, about someone with the same concern who modified a space saver from another car (Merc?) to replace his old OEM one. Might be worth a search for that, if you're not happy with the foam option.

Edit: Here you go:

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?8801
    Last edited by Geraint; 09-05-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Added link
    Purple '95 manual targa

Quote Originally Posted by NSX100 View Post
    some very helpful guys from BEAR motorway maintenance turned up and placed cones around me while checking with local tyre companies re replacement tyres.
    I have this excellent image of the maintenance guys putting cones around you, while the nsx sits unattended a few yards away

Sorry to hear about your bad luck all the same...

I punctured the offside rear on my last NSX. There was a high pressure bike valve stuck in top edge of the sidewall. Had to blow up the spare and limp back into town, about 8 miles.
    The spacesaver is pretty unstable on the move.
    Anyway, As David Learnt, a can of tyre seal isn't always going to work.

Cheers,

James.

MAybe time to consider Duncan's innovative use of the SLK spare?
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

AA etc always turn up guys, so many cars don't even have a spare!

i've sourced an unused tyre from a porsche space-saver spare, that i'm having put onto my nsx spare wheel, replacing the one that's had the best part of 20 years cooking and cooling behind the radiator!

i'll let you know how it goes....
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    i've sourced an unused tyre from a porsche space-saver spare, that i'm having put onto my nsx spare wheel, replacing the one that's had the best part of 20 years cooking and cooling behind the radiator!

i'll let you know how it goes....
    Sounds good, bit easier than the Merc modified wheel. Will be very interested how this works out.
    Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERCEDES-C180-...item3cb7d15f2d

£39 quid on ebay....you can remove the tyre and put on your spare....but I think the Merc's looks much better IMHO.

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

That's sort of a cross between an S2000 item and a JDM tuner wheel I cannot pinpoint!

If all else fails, can you use squirty cream in your OEM spacesaver? Just a thought...
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast