Thread: Extended Nsx warranty

1. Default Extended Nsx warranty

To cut a long story short..

It appears my rear O2 sensor has gone wrong, my abs light blinks twice on the dash when I pull the codes.

After searching on prime Acura extended the warranty on emission compliant components up to 150,000 miles.

See here http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/tsb/98-031.htm

Do we have the same in the UK from Honda?

2. Default

Actually to add to that depending on the answers, if were not covered and I have to buy a new sensor, which one do I need to buy for my 1997 NA1 manual? Uk vs us specs?

These are for Acura nsx's so our years are different to theirs http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc...FO2%5FSensors/

Thanks

Blog Entries

Hi, jaffaz32.
    You've cut the a long story short so I'm going the other way round .

Addition to your posts here, I read the one on NSX Prime as well.

I’m afraid, there seems to be some confusion over the diagnosis of your problem.

At the end, it could result in one of the O2 sensor failure but based on what you wrote so far, there is nothing that can confirm that you have O2 sensor failure.

By the way, TSB 98-031 is for the US market and as far as I know, not for the UK one.

I can confirm that it didn’t apply for the JDM as the introduction of full spec OBD-2 was later than the US models and thus, it already had the required misfire detection module when OBD-2 model was introduced in the market.

As mentioned many times and I hope other owners are reading this as well.

[ Regardless of what other people says and even the workshop manual tells you to do so, please never-ever erase/reset the ECU before reading the error code. ]

1. It seems that you had Check Engine Light (CEL or MIL) and TCS warning light while you had your engine running.

2. From what you wrote, at that time, you didn’t get ABS warning light.

3. It seems that you removed the 7.5A Clock fuse BEFORE reading the error code for CEL and TCS.

4. Thus, you didn’t see any blinking lights on the CEL neither on the TCS when you shorted the blue 2pin SCS terminal at the passenger foot well section.

5. You saw two blinks on the ABS light and nothing else.

I’m not 100% sure that you read the ABS error code properly as the interval between each code should be 5sec and not 20sec.

Please note that there is no short or long blink for ABS error code on the EARLY ABS module.

For the latest UPGRADED ABS module, ECU, TCS, etc, there will be short and/or long blinks when you read the error code.

On the early ABS module, you can’t erase the error code by removing the 7.5A Clock fuse.

You must remove the 20A ‘ALB 2,3’ fuse (inside the same fuse box as the Clock one) or disconnect the connectors from the ABS controller.

Upgraded ABS uses completely different method to clear the error code.

You need to be aware that some of the error mode won’t trigger the warning light on the dash unless it has registered the same issue multiple times.

Some of them even exstinguish the warning light while you are driving if the condition recovers the normal status.

Even under these conditions and you don't see the warning lights, the error codes are still registered until you have cleared them.

The person on Prime talking about the #2 error code and suggesting you the O2 sensor failure is talking about the CEL (that you couldn’t read the code) and not the ABS error code that you read.
    As far as I can tell, you couldn’t read the CEL or TCS error codes.

Later, you mentioned that you didn’t see the CEL, TCS or the ABS lights blinking (even you didn’t erase the code by removing the ABS 2,3 fuse) when you shorted the blue 2pin SCS terminal.

Did you short it before turning the IGN switch On?

Sounded like you shorted it afterwards and if that was the case, it is very unlikely that you managed to get all controllers into the diagnosis mode.

You must short the SCS terminal first before turning the IGN switch on.

Based on these facts, I can say that you may have O2 sensor failure as it could trigger both the CEL and TCS when it fails but since you erased the error code before reading it, there is no way to confirm this at this stage and your issue could be completely different thing.

Your ABS module registered #2 error code in the past and never been reset.

Unless you saw the ABS warning light at the same time when you saw the CEL and TCS lights, the #2 ABS error code was registered some point in the past.

If could be from the previous owner(s).

Hope you can re-create the same issue and get the error code for CEL and TCS when you managed to put everything back on the car, start the engine and test driving it.

As a side notes, please refer to the followings for the other points in your posts on Prime.

Please do not use spanner to work on O2 sensor.
    You should use O2 sensor wrench.
    Otherwise, you may have big trouble by rounding the hex body.

You need to be very careful ordering the O2 sensor from US.
    The OBD-2 was introduced at the different timing between US and UK.

Also, the CAT shape/spec was different on later OBD-2 models between US and UK so the cable length is not the same.

I’m not sure about the spec of your NSX.

You wrote 97 UK NA1 Manual but all of 97 UK Manual models should be NA2.

Any way, you asked about the OBD-2 monitor and your NSX doesn’t even have the data port even you may have four O2 sensors on your NSX.

For UK model, full OBD-2 was introduced only from 00 model.

If you are going for the aftermarket ECU, then it is best to check with the ECU manufacture for any system monitor software.

I think this is enough for the time being…

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 20-06-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: deleted duplicated text

4. Default

Hi Kaz,

Thanks for your reply.

I done the code check before i reset the ecu. You are correct i have had a ABS sensor which i believe was the front left fail in the past and the abs fuse i doubt was pulled so that could still be in the ecu.

I thought it was very weird for the Check engine light and tcs light to come on for a rear o2 sensor, what does the o2 sensor have to do with the tcs light, also it was the abs light flashing when checking the codes but as mentioned it could have been a previous code as why would the abs light flash if it is a O2 sensor problem. my abs light wasnt on the dash while driving but only when i done the error code check.

after getting those codes i then reset the ecu, i will also pull the abs fuse to clear my previous code from the front left abs sensor which has now been replaced.

yes that's correct all the dash light went out and came off the tcs light went off and came on after slowly but then stayed on with the rest but thought this was normal it was then the abs light that then blinked twice and then twice after shortly afterwards.

i'll take the car out for a drive and check the code again when i get home. i'll record it on my phone.

yeah i shorted the blue jumper in the passenger footwell before turning on the ignition but not all the way to start the engine but the one before.

i was wondering why my spanner wouldnt fit, ok i'll check the codes again with a abs reset first to clear the abs error from when i had that problem which was some time last year.

My car is confusing, it's a very late NA1 model, it's a 5 speed 3.0 with lift up lights, i've checked the chassis plate also, i always get this confusion when ordering any parts everyone system lists my car as a NA2 for the year. Also very confusing ordering any parts from the states.

I could only find 2 O2 sensors, one per manifold just before the cats, i couldn't see any others but i wasnt sure where they would be if there was any more.

That's a shame, would be so handy to have a gadget to plug in and read codes, i think the ecu does have some kind of monitoring mode but reguires a pc, don't fancy running a small in car pc just for that as it's extra weight. I could plug the laptop as and when needed though, they are talking about making a iphone app for the ecu that would be so much easier.