Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention: Harmonic balancer (crank pulley)

Default Attention: Harmonic balancer (crank pulley)

I've posted this on prime as well, but I feel this issue need's to be spread around as widely as possible.

I had read a few posts on prime during last winter about the HB, so I decided to order one for my own car just in case, that one didnt show up before the season started so I inspected my old one and found no signs of "weakness". No tears in the rubber or anyhing loose.
    Anyway, about a month later, it came apart and strated to chew into my timing belt cover, resulting in pieces of the cover being thrown onto the timing belt.

How the TB cover looked like after:

The harmonic balancer (crank pulley):

The piece of TB cover with obvious marks of TB teeth:

So I changed the TB and waterpump and so on, checking the timing as I went along. The aft intake and exhaust cams was 2 teeth off both, but I hoped the valves was ok still.

I installed primemember "Titaniumdave"'s shield and a brand new pulley.

But at the compression test before startup there was no compression in the aft cylinders at all, so there was nothing else to do than pull the heads off.
    This is what i found:

So to all of you fellow NSX owners out there, get that shield installed. Its a really cheap insurance for a engine failure. And its installed in less than 2 hours for even the most inexperienced.

I feel sick.

New pulley at next service, I think.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

4. Default

shall I order in a bunch of pulleys then?

Wow I feel for you mate that is bad news. How many miles on her at the time? I got mine on the shelf and I think I will give it a go tomorrow since I also have the hex tool!

Quote Originally Posted by vtecdirect View Post
    shall I order in a bunch of pulleys then?
    Any word on mine!
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    Wow I feel for you mate that is bad news. How many miles on her at the time? I got mine on the shelf and I think I will give it a go tomorrow since I also have the hex tool!
    I replaced the pulley on Andrews car and added the shield for him also. Dont think the shield is necessary on a new pulley and I would consider changing the pulley at every TB service anyway.
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    She has 152k KM on the clock, about 95k miles.

In the end it's just a good excuse to get some go fast goodies in there

Quote Originally Posted by Sudesh View Post
    Any word on mine!
    I was speaking with Kaz at Silverstone and he said that the pulleys were out of stock even in Japan at the moment...

It took me about 4 months for mine IIRC. I wanted it done with the TB but honda could not get it on time. Incidentaly the master tech told me that he had only seen one go on a car that had been stolen and overrevved.

Eitherway I am glad I got a spare engine!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast