Thread: Idle / tickover problem

Default Idle / tickover problem

Just posted this over on Prime, as there has been some discussion on the issue, but incase you dont visit them very often I 'll post it here as well:

"Last week my 91 3.0 man started to idle slightly higher than normal. Over the following days the idle increased slightly with every journey. It's now ticking over at a steady 2,500 rpm I've checked for obvious things, although I'm not too mechanicly minded. The problem changes if whilst stationry I blip the throttle, it will now "pulse" with revs rising and faling between a range of between 1,500 and 2,200rpm???

Anyway It's almost undrivable, especially in town, and it's booked into my Honda dealer on Monday ( It was booked in for a service anyway) so hopefully they will be able to isolate, and fix the problem. I was just wondering if you guys have experienced this one, and what you would guess is the fix?

Should I open a book on this one, any takers

Answers hopefully after Monday"
    Current toys= MV Agusta Brutale, BMW K1200s, Mini cooper SD, Jaguar XF, Ex S2000 owner
    91 NSX Owner between 16 July 05 and 18 Feb 2011

MAP / TPS sensor by the sounds of it.

Quote Originally Posted by simonprelude
    MAP / TPS sensor by the sounds of it.
    Is that the one on the S2000 wher the fix is to "bash it with a hammer" :lol:
    Current toys= MV Agusta Brutale, BMW K1200s, Mini cooper SD, Jaguar XF, Ex S2000 owner

4. Default

It could possibly be the idle valve sticking. It could also be head gasket (hope not) but in fairness - idle control valve is more likely and I'd get this checked first.

If you had done anything to change it - hunting idle can also be caused by a throttle body problem such as the butterfly not closing fully and allowing air in when should be closed. Assuming nothing been done here though, I guess not the case here (unless seriously carboned up)

It is worth going onto NSXprime and read the items related to cleaning the throttle body. I had the same problem with my 91' and resolved it in 30 minutes for £2.99 with a can of cleaner.

I had take the car to the Honda dealer the week before without them being able to fix the problem and telling me I had air escaping that was the problem.

Hope things workout for you.
    91' NSX Red and Black. 92,000 miles

Apparently its the inlet manifold gasget :shock:

Why would this fail anyway?

Bit hacked off as it's not covered by my warranty :twisted: Maybe a Honda goodwill contribution, please, please nicely Mr Honda :lol:

All sorted, new gaskets fitted, fully serviced, lovely

Just a lerge invoice :shock:

Seriously I really missed the car over the last 2 days, even though I did have the dealer jazzzzzz to zip around :wink: