Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tough Economic Times....but there are still silver linings

I'm beginning to feel the need to get out of 735 ownership myself...

I was driving home one night last week and heard the warning chime from the dash. Looked down to find that it was only warning me fuel reserve had reached 30miles. Very briefly I thought "I'm glad that wasn't a warning for something pricey" before I realised that, now it's £140 a tank (good for 200 miles of commuting) the fuel light is actually about the priciest, scariest thing that can light up on that dash!

Good luck with the smx, I likes

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Very briefly I thought "I'm glad that wasn't a warning for something pricey" before I realised that, now it's £140 a tank (good for 200 miles of commuting) the fuel light is actually about the priciest, scariest thing that can light up on that dash!
    Wow, assuming it has a 100 liter tank that's barely 9mpg AVERAGE, is it really that bad??? Either you're sitting in stationery traffic for a large percentage of the commute, the car is running very badly, you have a sizable fuel leak somewhere OR said commute is flat out on a race track

My old 540i (V8 petrol) used to average low 20's (25+ on a long run) and my current E430 (V8 petrol) is averaging 21 on my 9 mile daily commute and 23.5mpg overall.

Cheers

Mark
    The older I get, the faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Wow, assuming it has a 100 liter tank that's barely 9mpg AVERAGE, is it really that bad??? Either you're sitting in stationery traffic for a large percentage of the commute, the car is running very badly, you have a sizable fuel leak somewhere OR said commute is flat out on a race track

My old 540i (V8 petrol) used to average low 20's (25+ on a long run) and my current E430 (V8 petrol) is averaging 21 on my 9 mile daily commute and 23.5mpg overall.

Cheers

Mark
    Prolly a little exaggerated Mark, but not much - it's the traffic that does for it, coupled to a fairly inefficient AT that spins around the twin axes of inefficiently comfortable (normal auto programme) and inefficiently brutal (sport programme). Over the last 18 months my aggregate average mpg (according to onboard compy) including all non-commuting runs is 16mpg

I'm thinking Fiat 500 time ?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I'm beginning to feel the need to get out of 735 ownership myself...

I was driving home one night last week and heard the warning chime from the dash. Looked down to find that it was only warning me fuel reserve had reached 30miles. Very briefly I thought "I'm glad that wasn't a warning for something pricey" before I realised that, now it's £140 a tank (good for 200 miles of commuting) the fuel light is actually about the priciest, scariest thing that can light up on that dash!

Good luck with the smx, I likes
    Hi Justin,

Petrol is getting bad now...I mean when selling the 7 series...I was like thinking I was gonna miss all the gadgets etc.....but to be honest I am more happy now going to a petrol station and paying for less fuel....a compromise I am happy to deal with

Hi Dave,

Yeah based on a CRV mark 1....so hoping most parts are readily available...well thats the theory..but it is the mark 1 and they dont make it anymore...so maybe salvage parts instead if required.

Hi Sudesh,

It is definitely different, now that i have been driving it for a couple of weeks....it is like a big toy car....it would be nicer though to have a more responsive gear change as it is auto....and my foot is quite heavy on the accelerator pedal....which kind of pushes the rev over the gear change...but still its fun!!

I've bought an Insight Gen. 1, year 2000, and sold everything that consumed more than 30 mpg except the NSX. I'm now driving at unbelieveable 75 mpg (no typo) and the hybrid-electro-turbo is pure fun to drive. Well, that was only the average consumption over the last 10k miles. The best I ever had was last weekend: 107 mpg (again, no typo) over 30 miles from home to home with one cold engine start.
    One of the better choices in my life. The oil-multies hate me, my wallet and the environment loves me.
    BTW, I'm driving more than 750 miles with one tank of gasoline (40 litres) and pay around £40 each month for that distance. Cool, no? The new Honda Jazz Hybrid would be me second-best choice if I didn't run into the Insight.
    Last edited by goldnsx; 05-04-2011 at 05:28 PM.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    I've bought an Insight Gen. 1, year 2000, and sold everything that consumed more than 30 mpg except the NSX. I'm now driving at unbelieveable 75 mpg (no typo) and the hybrid-electro-turbo is pure fun to drive. Well, that was only the average consumption over the last 10k miles. The best I ever had was last weekend: 107 mpg (again, no typo) over 30 miles from home to home with one cold engine start.
    One of the better choices in my life. The oil-multies hate me, my wallet and the environment loves me.
    BTW, I'm driving more than 750 miles with one tank of gasoline (40 litres) and pay around £40 each month for that distance. Cool, no? The new Honda Jazz Hybrid would be me second-best choice if I didn't run into the Insight.

Hi Goldnsx,

Mate those are definitely good mpgs! ...maybe something i may consider in a couple of years when they are a little cheaper to buy

Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12