Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: interior trim tweaks....

Default interior trim tweaks....

for my annual xmas project, this year i decided to retrim some of the interior of my nsx, mainly the bits of leather that get touched, and as such were now bright and shiny after near on 20 years of use... in the firing line was the steering wheel, gear knob (it's an auto) and the arm rest! it's been bugging me for ages that the interior plastics have a grain finish, whereas the leather was smooth and polished... my quest started with leather from that purveyor of all things, ebay..... i bought 2 bits as i had no idea on the grain/pattern descriptions, fortunately one was right!

first off was the gearknob.... scratched/battered/polished

carefully stripped... curious as the knob moulding is textured... what lower model did it feature on???

patterns cut and perforated

a quick brush up on the intricacies of the baseball stitch, and away I went, ending up with this...

turned our well! the knob now has the same finish as the dash!!!
    Last edited by britlude; 03-01-2011 at 04:37 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

the steering wheel was more complicated, but much the same, this time I sourced a steering wheel from NSXPrime (cheers Shawn) and set to work
    the wheel i got was slightly better than mine but had the usual sun/heat damage..

this was carefully cut off and patterns made

the patterns were sewn together and the new trim stretched over the wheel (the patterns work out to be about 1 1/2 inches short on the circumference....

then once it had stretched/settled a little I set about sewing it up by hand, starting with this
    Last edited by britlude; 03-01-2011 at 04:38 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

then after punching some holes started twin needle sewing, lacing it up first, then tightening after

until the whole rim is done....
    Last edited by britlude; 03-01-2011 at 04:41 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

all that was left was to trim and glue the spokes and open up the horn button holes....

aka Jonathan!!

the end result being I now have a steering wheel rim that matches the airbag texture and isn't quite so slippy/shiny!!!
    before and after

also have english cruise control buttons...

and the rim matches the airbag....

smiley faces all round!!!!
    aka Jonathan!!

the centre armrest was next on the list (actually it was before the steering wheel as that was hijacked on delivery and made into a christmas present!!!) with gentle persuasion, the leather was fitted without any need for stitching and seams....

went so well didn't take pics!!! here's the before and after

aka Jonathan!!

next on the list is the handbrake... just deciding how i want to do it!

well, they might as well all match!

ok it's a pic of the handbrake, not very exciting.... but another angle on the gears stick!!!
    Last edited by britlude; 03-01-2011 at 09:26 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Fantastic work! Would not be able to tell the difference if they were new items.
    Now where do I place my order for a new leather jacket?

Ian

Blimey! Do you buy your brave pills online, or have you had experience of this sort of thing before?

Results are very tidy, nonetheless!
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Great work Jonathan! Very impressive, especially the steering wheel as those are hard to do.

On a side note, did you know that you can buy ready made arm rest, handbrake cover and if you have a manual car, gear gaiter, from the guys I worked with on ebay?

Also the door entry pads are available, all good prices and fantastic real nappa leather. I can still smell the leather in my car with just those small pieces and the quality is way above the OEM.
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast