Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tyre Sizes

Quote Originally Posted by Hagasan View Post
    The speedo is driven off the gearbox so can't see how the front tyre sizes will affect it.
    I have 225/45/16 tyres on the front of mine and must say it did change the speedo reading.
    Now reads exactly the same as my GPS.

They do also scrub the liner on full lock

Olly

Quote Originally Posted by lotusolly View Post
    I have 225/45/16 tyres on the front of mine and must say it did change the speedo reading.

Olly
    Same here...I've got 265/40/17 on the rear.

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by lotusolly View Post

Olly
    Are you sure about your speedo changing Olly, does not sound right for the reasons that Gary pointed out....

Did your 225's rub before you lowered your car or only after?

Yes, I agree with Mark, 225 40 16 could be a better alternative than 215 40 16 and theres more choice than oem.
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    Are you sure about your speedo changing Olly, does not sound right for the reasons that Gary pointed out....

Did your 225's rub before you lowered your car or only after?
    Sorry for the delayed reply, not logged on recently.

I Think they rubbed before I lowered it too.

I thought the same about the tyres but definetly got a change in speedo reading.

Olly

Quote Originally Posted by havoc View Post
    225 front tyres would reduce the propensity to understeer in-extremis, which depending on your driving style may or may not be desirable.

Don't think there'd be any issue with the 10mm wider tyre in terms of arch-clearance or liner-scrub - not enough extra width. Might actually fill the front arches out a little better too.
    I've never had a good experience with wider tyres on standard rims - it induces sidewall sogginess. Indeed, standard size on slightly wider rims usually benefits stability, feel & transient response. Just avoid the 'eurolook' 'hellaflush' or whatever...
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Bit late on this thread as I've been offline. I'm struggling to find any tyres to replace the A022s, which are well within the mm limit but the back ones are eleven years old and while not cracking at all are beginning to feel a bit hard. Clearly, nobody can get A022s anymore - that is true isn't it - but I don't seem to be able to find Z rated tyres in the 215/45/16 anywhere. The ones mentioned earlier nithe this thread appeared to be W rated. Anybody got any good recommendations - assume price no object for now - for original size tyres with ZR on the side please?! By the way, it's the 16/17 inch combo. Thanx.

Why do you need Z rated? W is for upto 270km/h, and I am sure it wouldn't blow if you do 300km/h
    Check this site: http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyrspeed.html

I also only know the Bridgestone RE040, in W
    Have you considered going for 205/45/16?
    As Nick graves said "standard size on slightly wider rims usually benefits stability, feel & transient response", another solution is to keep the same rim and slightly reduce the width of tyre. 205/45/16 is much closer to OEM size 205/50/15 than 215/45/16

I should also mention that my car came with the undersized fronts & oversized rears when I bought it.

OK, the tyres were only Kum Hos with sidewalls like a condom, but it did some really weird stuff to the handling; mostly inconsistent understeer, a bit like a really floppy NSX-T on a really bad road.

The Advan AD08s come in the correct size and they are bonkers good.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12