Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trickle Charger for Battery

Default Trickle Charger for Battery

I used to use an "ACCUMATE" trickle charger on my last car which kept the battery at 100% when the car was not in regular use. The charger is hooked up permanently to the car without disconnecting the battery from the car and is easily disconnected when you want to use the car. It is a wonderful device!
    I now want to use this charger on my NSX but the car's manual advises against using battery chargers without first disconnecting the main terminals, as damage to the EMU could be caused.
    The manufacturer of the Accumate charger reckons there won't be a problem but before taking the plunge i would really like to hear if anyone has any negative experiences with this type of charger.

Many Thx.

I presume from the lack of any responses that you must all use your cars every weekend in winter and that you have no need for such battery charging devices!

Not so true. There are a few people I know that use a tricke charger without problems. I haven't myself so I can't comment from personal experience.
    If your fear of staying alive, outweighs the thrill of making the corner, brake.

I was interested in what people use too. I have an Optimate here I used to use on my Elise, but wondered what people did for the NSX.

I do try to use the NSX at least once every 2 weeks, even if only for a few miles.

In case you don't know, there is a +ve jump lead point in the engine bay in the fuse box to the left of the water coolant resevoir, saves having to take the spare out to jump start the battery if you ever do lose its charge.

Ok, well at the weekend I fitted the little plug thing for my Optimate. I've used the Optimate on an Elise and a motorbike and never disconnected the battery on either. I switched it on briefly and nothing fried, but haven't had it on any length of time. I'll probably put it on this week sometime as I haven't used it much ... I'll let you know.

Just to let you know, I had the NSX on the Optimate last week ... so the fact it started and got me to Castle Combe indicates it probably hasn't fried anything

Dead easy to fit the plug, and Optimates can be had for something like 30 or 40 quid from a motorbike dealer.

Thanks for all the comments - much appreciated!
    At this point i'm also driving the car every week so the battry is OK - it's during winter months when i will need to use so i will feel much happier now!

Thanks again

i have had my optimate for 3 years used every winter with n problems at all

Thanks for the info - i will go ahead with in late Autumn when the car is "rested" for winter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast