Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cruise Control Module

Thanks Kaz for your thoughts.
    I fitted the HKS unit in the loom before the ECU using the Japanese instructions and a Japanese NSX friend who translated, unfortunately it still is restricted. So that didnt work! I was going to temporarily swap ECUs from the Australian car into the JDM car to see if that worked on speed limit and cruise limiter, but the JDM car has 4 O2 sensors and the Aud car has 2 O2 sensors so thought that wasnt so smart.

Does anyone know which ECU from a USA car would work in the JDM car? I guess a DBW with 4 O2 sensors but think the USA CARS are OBD2 and the JDM is OBD1 for that vintage.

Thanks,
    Scott
    JDM 1996 Monte Carlo Blue, Coupe, Manual, Black roof, Man steering. All original.

Blog Entries

Personally, I don't recommend swapping the ECU without first checking all of the pinout difference between the two ECU spec.
    The EFI setting could be different depending on the country spec as well.

VSS signal on any JDM cars must follow the spec defined by JIS so the signal level is the same and just the number of pulses are difference between each Japanese car manufactures.

If you got HKS product for speed limiter purpose, then you are very likely to be using SLD Type 1.

Presuming that you wired it properly, the dip sw setting for both SW1 and SW 2 should be set all UPWARDS with the cable pointing down (when the SLD held VERTICALLY, the cable exits towards the ground and the SLD label on the case is in the correct orientation and not upside down).

You must keep the IG key in OFF position when making any changes to the DIP SW.

If it doesn't work with this setting, then chances are, the wire connection was not done properly or you have different product.

If it's SLD Type 1, then you should connect it as follows;
    White: VSS INput from the VSS sensor on the Gbox.
    Yellow: VSS OUTput to the ECU, connect this to the VSS terminal at the ECU.
    Light Blue: Optional signal out put, required for some of Honda models that may show speedo stop working at around 170 – 180kph but probably not to be the case for your application.
    Black: GND
    Red: IG power. If you connected this to VB, you won't be able to change the DIP SW setting without disconnecting the battery first.

Good luck.

Kaz

Once again Thankyou so much Kaz for the info! Yes it is the SLD t1 and I wired it as you said. Not 100% sure about the DIN sws, maybe I have them upside down. Will check and report back.

Agree its probably better not to play with the ECU. The JDM car has many differences to the Australian delivered car.

Cheers
    Scott
    JDM 1996 Monte Carlo Blue, Coupe, Manual, Black roof, Man steering. All original.

Blog Entries

If wired properly, then chances are, your SW setting was upside down.

The diagram included in the kit is confusing especially if one forgot to notice the small print written at the side.

The diagram for NSX setup is as follows. This is when looked at the SLD face with the cable exit pointing the ground.

Because the DIP SW on the SLD Type 1 has white body slider for each bit (switch), one would assume to set them as in the above diagram showing the white marker at the bottom side towards the cable exit.

However, there is a small print stating that the user should set each slider to the black marked position so kind of opposite relationship between the colour on the actual hardware and the diagram.

So, all 4 sliders at the SW2 and 1 slider at SW1 should be set towards the top side, opposite to the cable exit of the unit.

Hope it's just the DIP SW setting issue and nothing else.
    Please remember that you must completely power off the SLD unit before making any changes to the DIP SW setting. Otherwise, the changes won't be registered on the hardware.

Kaz

Hi Kaz,
    You are a genius and 100% correct! I had the DIN switches upside down and only had a chance to try it today, now works as it should. Your right, the instructions and drawing with the unit are very confusing as well as being in Japanese, which didnt help me.
    The cruise still wont set above the 109 kph mark and it sounds like swaping ECUs is going to be tricky.
    So will learn to live with it and enjoy the scenery.

Thanks again for your help on this.......brilliant!

Scott

Blog Entries

Hi Scott.
    Good to know that the SLD is working now.

From what you wrote, I believe you can now go beyond the 180kph JDM speed limiter but the Cruise Control (CC) still won’t allow you to set above 109kph.
    This was expected because as in my previous post, the CC on DBW is done inside the ECU so you need to either change the software or carry out further modification on the hardware side.

I never looked at the design of SLD but if you didn’t see the change on the CC after installing the SLD, I guess the SLD is designed to pass through the factory VSS signal until reaching the really high speed range and once it gets close to 180kph, let’s say like 177kph, it may clamp the VSS signal there to pretend to be below 180kph even beyond that point.

I have never studied the non-JDM ECU so don’t know whether there is special jumper or resistor to change the country spec of CC.
    The software is IP related so I’m afraid all I can say is, I don’t know.
    I know what needs to be done on the non-DBW JDM model and that’s what I’m running/testing in all sorts of speed range at the moment.

I know some people managed to go beyond 109kph on the DBW model but the stepping motor control was not smooth under several driving conditions so not ideal for CC purpose.

Kaz

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    I know what needs to be done on the non-DBW JDM model and that’s what I’m running/testing in all sorts of speed range at the moment.

Kaz
    Will you be offering this as a service when its finalised?

8. Default

I know this is an old thread but I am still curious how difficult is it to remove the max speed limit on 91 JDM cruise control.
    this is my cruise control unit and I can see there is an extra resistor no 3 near the top left compared to the photo above with no resistors 3 4 5 6 7

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NSX NA1 JDM cruise.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	14196

Hmmm... I still have to do mine.....

They look suspiciously like zero ohm links, just for that purpose....
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Blog Entries

It can be done but I'm afraid it's not my know-how so I won't share the info.
    I don't want disturbing my friend's paid service.

However, because you have separated CC unit, your NSX is non-DBW spec so several options available.
    With DBW, ECU took over the CC feature and while it can be done, extra steps required.

AFAIK, unlike the EPS controller, there is no double check protocol on the VSS signal at the CC unit.

Nowadays, you can easily get readily-made pulse generator, divider, etc or even program your own code at very reasonable price.

So, you could just isolate the VSS input and modify it to your demand.

Kaz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast