Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Senna and the NSX

Default Senna and the NSX

since I've been posting on NSXCB there's always been this strong Senna/NSX connection. It's taken for granted by anyone who's heard of the NSX that Ayrton Senna had a significant hand in the cars development.
    So, is this true? How much actual input did he actually have? Is there proper documented evidence to back it up or is it an urban myth and did he just do a few test laps round a circuit for the press launch?

Cheers,

James.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

There's the stories of Senna's input on tyres and threatening to walk away from the project if they didn't use the tyres he advised, besides that the only other thing I know is the famous press drive showing him wearing some lovely Hugo Boss slip ons and White Socks
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

I think the chassis was stiffened from his recommendation, not a massive input just some pointers.

There are a few mentions of Senna in Brian Long's book, but only fleeting (like he helped test the car...). The only reference I could find about Senna's involvement was via Wikipedia (so there's always doubt about its provenance) - I would guess that Kaz will know more than most?

The article that was published in Octance last year, said:
    The great driver was a Suzuka regular, and so when a McLaren testing session coincided with one of Honda’s in February ’89 the road car engineers were keen to get him behind the wheel and see what he thought. After a few laps in the 250bhp Legend-engined prototype, he came back with the feedback: ‘I'm not sure I can really give you appropriate advice on a mass-production car, but I feel it’s a little fragile.’

By that, he meant that the torsional rigidity of the body wasn’t up to par, and although Honda had built a shell as stiff as Ferrari and Porsche’s it still needed beefing-up. Honda went back to the drawing board and re-engineered the hull, making it 50% stiffer – even at this late stage in the NSX’s development Senna had made the difference. Impressed by his input, Honda invited him back to dial-in chassis improvements in the run-up to full production.
    So it's possible that Senna's input stopped the early NSX being a wallowy Yank tank but who knows how much input he had in anything regarding the philosophy or the handling of the car? Still: good that Honda listened to him...
    ex owner - various Hondas inc 03 NFR NSX-T
    Current fun car Lotus Evora 400

I've seen a video of him driving an early red prototype.

I have heard, although I don't remember where, that he asked them to make the NSX longer so as to be more stable and that they did.

There you go James,

The items we discussed on the phone have popped up in almost the same order ... myth or fact we may never know, but I'm inclined to trust my sources of the information

Catch up soon

Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

I thought they made it longer to incorporate a boot to fit the golf clubs in?

Time to start some more "myths" :-)
    Current toys= MV Agusta Brutale, BMW K1200s, Mini cooper SD, Jaguar XF, Ex S2000 owner
    91 NSX Owner between 16 July 05 and 18 Feb 2011

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    I thought they made it longer to incorporate a boot to fit the golf clubs in?
    I thought/read/heard the same thing.
    92 brown/blue/gold manual coupe sadly stolen:
    96 Brooklands Green manual T-top.Sadly now sold
    04 Formula Red manual coupe Very sadly sold

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast