Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Porsche Owner admits NSX is quicker

Well that was interesting.

Just as a side note.......ferrets and polecats are one and the same. A ferret is a albino polecat, both can come from the same litter

That's a racing engine Ary - you want to bring that into play and I'll counter with one of these two:-

Aston Martin V12 from Le Mans (GT1 / LMP1)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BVHnkXd0CM

Honda HSV-010 GT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebEMJy4cznQ

Diesels are very effective, granted, and can be VERY quick. But that doesn't make 'em fun, or as pleasant to drive.

Ian - I just knew the ferret and the polecat would gang up on that poor badger!
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

Quote Originally Posted by havoc View Post
    Diesels are very effective, granted, and can be VERY quick. But that doesn't make 'em fun, or as pleasant to drive.
    Martin,

Have you driven a BMW 335d or C350 CDI?

If you haven't just do it and it will change your mind.

BTW Going Quick can be a lot of fun

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    Martin,

BTW Going Quick can be a lot of fun
    Neither of those cars, but I have driven quick diesels. And the 'kick in the back' thing wears (for me, anyway) quite quickly. I get my kicks from throttle-response, from sound, and from the overall 'flow' of a car. I could see me getting a diesel as a family hack, but never for a fun car.

That said, a good friend is very different, likes his torque, and has just changed-down to a 330d to release some cash (history includes 2 E46 M3s, 2 E39 M5s, 7 E46 330i's or d's, 1 E60 535d and a smattering of other BMWs. The 535d kept up with my S2000 quite happily up to, ooh, 'enough' mph! He did very much like the NSX he 'won' for a week though...).

Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...

Quote Originally Posted by NoelWatson View Post
    So power at flywheel ~350bhp? Kerb weight ~1800kg. How is it getting similar performance to M5?

Reckon aerodynamics would hinder speed - would be surprised if it got past 175mph.
    The answer I beleive is the quiafe diff for the acceleration ..

It pulls off the clock at 160 but is likely to need a lot of space to pass 170, which you can use where exactly??

MId range punch is what you want for real world daily driving, especially when you're covering 40k+ miles pa ... and then saves the fun for the weekend in the NSX
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Great video AR but at no point does it admit to being weasel powered, apart from the TDI badge. Almost embarrassed to admit it seems!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Just as a side note.......ferrets and polecats are one and the same. A ferret is a albino polecat, both can come from the same litter
    At last some genuinely interesting information (I mean it) from this thread

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post

I've driven both and they didn't change mine. Fast and comfy, although both are overly firm riding, but "dead" mechanically

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post

It pulls off the clock at 160 but is likely to need a lot of space to pass 170, which you can use where exactly??

Mid range punch is what you want for real world daily driving, especially when you're covering 40k+ miles pa ... and then saves the fun for the weekend in the NSX
    I think you missed a few posts Paul. Does the 535d have a quiaffe diff? I noted that the M5's "M differential" makes a BIG difference to the handling.

Re mid range punch, this comes back to Havoc's "lazy" driver comment. Assuming both cars have auto transmissions both the weasel and petrol cars will select the best gear to achieve max acceleration, which means the more powerful petrol car will change down more cogs than the more torque'y weasel.

The end result may well be similar acceleration but the weasel driver may feel his vehicle achieved it in a more relaxed manner while the petrol driver feels he enjoys the superior response and engine noise.

Tenuously related but MUCH more interesting, "Weasels" are closely related to Ferrets and Polecats See here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel

Cheers

Mark
    The older I get, the faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post

Not true AFAIAA.

Certainly a ferret is not an albino polecat (though they are frequently lighter in colour).

Polecats and Ferrets are genetically very similar and can interbreed (like wolves and domestic dogs for example). The difference between a domestic ferret and a European polecat is that a ferret is the domestication of the Polecat. Domestication has reduced the Ferrets ability to fend for themselves. Polecat Ferret hybrids do exist and are very difficult to distinguish from a true Polecat. Ferrets are generally smaller, and there are differences in bone structure, particularly skull shape.

Hope this assists with the ongoing discussion here.
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    I can't see why that would make it any quicker accelerating on a flat level surface, especially as the M5 has a pretty good diff as well. 0-100 in just over 10 seconds for a big barge requires a lot of power.

Quote Originally Posted by havoc View Post
    So - can we bury this, delete our respective posts, and start again?!?
    Gladly, I'm more than happy to accept my fault initially, and I appreciate you taking the time to realise why I over reacted too. I have physically removed all the uneccessary posts from this thread to keep it tidier. Noel I haven;t forgotten yours I promise!
    Last edited by TheQuietOne; 20-08-2010 at 12:26 PM.
    From my mentor: 'Remember, with great power, comes great responsibility' K.Cooke 2007

Matt,

Whenever we finally meet up (Mugen visit, maybe?), the first beer's on me.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast