Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: new member

Sudesh - I find picture 2 offensive and sexist

Regards,

Sharon

PS - Only joking

Lightbulb

Hmmm,

Posting from my phone so apologies if this becomes a 'grunt'! I have done a bit of editing. I don't usually need to but I'm not reading racist terms on here for amy reason. Ary, if Nick is guilty of irony, a hard piece of humour to convey in writing, then you are guilty of over reaction, again.

I see no hint of racism on this forum, we welcome foreign members, arrange meets with them and communicate in mixed languages even at times. The use of text speak is one that bar Amo probably everyone finds either hard to read, or a bit odd looking. No body is taught to write English that way, it's an extension of the way some of us younger members communicate. Personally I find it amusing reading Amo's posts, lol is used as punctuation half the time, but it isn't the clearest way to communicate, which I think is where this whole thread was going.

Turning this into a racist issue is just another case of looking for an argument - maybe you're bored, but I'd suggest you might think about counting to 10 sometimes!

If anyone on a PC wants to edit this, please feel free :-)

Cheers,

Matt
    From my mentor: 'Remember, with great power, comes great responsibility' K.Cooke 2007

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietOne View Post
    The use of text speak is one that bar Amo probably everyone finds either hard to read, or a bit odd looking. No body is taught to write English that way, it's an extension of the way some of us younger members communicate. Personally I find it amusing reading Amo's posts, lol is used as punctuation half the time, but it isn't the clearest way to communicate, which I think is where this whole thread was going.

Turning this into a racist issue is just another case of looking for an argument - maybe you're bored, but I'd suggest you might think about counting to 10 sometimes!

Agree 100% (which Matt and I don't always do) - text speak on forums is both divisive (as it's creating/using a new 'language' that only certain people are party to), and it also makes posts harder to read and less elegant - it's not exactly hard work to type out proper words, esp. on a proper keyboard.

IMHO* it's also lazy. And I consider myself a 'younger member' (read that however you want... ).

BTW - Anyone who takes one of Nick's posts completely at face-value is doing both him and themselves a disservice.

* Internet acronyms are another matter for discussion - they 'look' less offensive than text-speak but carry the other problems of divisiveness. That said, acronyms are a part of everyday life (unlike 'txt'), so I think it's a little less of an issue for people - we're used to 'getting' acronyms.
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

Hmmm,

Posting from my phone so apologies if this becomes a 'grunt'! I have done a bit of editing. I don't usually need to but I'm not reading racist terms on here for amy reason. Ary, if Nick is guilty of irony, a hard piece of humour to convey in writing, then you are guilty of over reaction, again.

I see no hint of racism on this forum, we welcome foreign members, arrange meets with them and communicate in mixed languages even at times. The use of text speak is one that bar Amo probably everyone finds either hard to read, or a bit odd looking. No body is taught to write English that way, it's an extension of the way some of us younger members communicate. Personally I find it amusing reading Amo's posts, lol is used as punctuation half the time, but it isn't the clearest way to communicate, which I think is where this whole thread was going.

If anyone on a PC wants to edit this, please feel free :-)

Cheers,

Matt
    Matt the point is that nothing seems to matter until it touches a nerve. I once posted a funny picture and was made to take it down, I saw the point.

I am not bored I just like to call things by their names.

If I am hard working, tax paying law abiding member of society, why should I let anyone refer to me as, Johnny Foreigner.

Hmmm,

Cheers,

Matt
    Matt, so Johnny Foreigner is OK for Nick to use even when some of us find it offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by havoc View Post
    Agree 100% (which Matt and I don't always do) - text speak on forums is both divisive (as it's creating/using a new 'language' that only certain people are party to), and it also makes posts harder to read and less elegant - it's not exactly hard work to type out proper words, esp. on a proper keyboard.
    Perhaps new forum rules neeed to be made.

Editing another poster reply for punctuation and grammar ( note I did not include language ), unless you are their English teacher, is just too demeaning.

A simple private message letting the person know might work out better, for both parties.

BTW Matt, I believe you have my number, I don't have yours but if I did I will no doubt call you and get this resolved. It seems that since "that time", anytime that I defend myself or my beliefs, I am wrong in your eyes.

I think it's just a Pistonhead hangover, any grammar correction is cheered over there.
    Not that keen on text speak but what can you do, kids eh..

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    Perhaps new forum rules neeed to be made.
    I don't think so.

Forums tend to be quite good at self-moderating (the only exception to which being 'cliques', which tend to include Forum Admins/Moderators anyway, so very difficult to get rid of), and any behaviour which is too far outside of 'the accepted norm' will get criticised openly - the 'offending' (note quote marks) party will realise that behaviour is not tolerated and they will either toe the line or find another forum.

Now in some ways that is a little 'country club', particularly where you have a small and often-conservative group such as NSX owners. But equally those passionate enough about the forum/subject (NSX) will stay and 'fight' (debate) their corner, and a new 'accepted norm' will evolve. The trick is in everyone being open-minded enough and respectful enough (tricky when using text only, as it's easy to mis-interpret) to try and find the right balance.

Inappropriate rules will only piss people off and get ignored anyway (speed limits?!?).
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

I find loads of stuff I read on the internet and in books,mags etc.offensive but I just ignore it.The alternative is to get into a war other something relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of schemes.
    Let it go
    Last edited by nakamichi; 05-08-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: missed word
    I tell people that I've now done one decent thing in my life. Albeit inadvertently.
    Larry David

'92 Red/Black
    RS*R Exhaust, DC Headers, SuperDuper LeMans AirScooper, Dali Stealth OEM Airbox Mod: Fujita Filter, OEM 2002+ GOLD calipers + 2 piece race rotors . . . take a breath . . . and finally Nitron one way adjustable suspension!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast