Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance on garage queens

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Mr Opie oils could provide the absolute answer

Cheers

Mark
    They might advise you not to use 10w30 as well!!!

TB on the shelf argument
    Please remind that the TB on the shelf is not working at all. So the shelf argument is not correct.

Rubber parts have already been mentioned. Even if not using the car at all rubber seals get pressed, old and leaky. This is for example the case for the clutch hydraulics, injectors, A/C and so on.
    Garage queen NSXs don't need a high amount of repairs, actually less than one that is driven BUT the £ per miles relation is very high if you don't drive it often, just because the repairs can't be divided through more miles.

I know of a completely new car still waiting for a buyer and it ran into all specific problems an NSX reveals over time like all electronic related problems. As soon as you start to drive the car you should be prepared for repairs or change the common parts in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    Unless your running FI or lots of start stop and short journeys.
    It all depends if the molecular chains within the oil become fractured. Our trucks used to go 100Km between oil changes. Samples were taken at this time of changing and the oil was still in relatively good condition.

They were working 24/7 and covering 4-5000km per week, so I accept that cold starting can lead to more engine wear as the oil has time to drain away when stood, but i doubt the oil itself has deteriorated.

And in case your wondering out of 100 trucks we had only one major engine failure in 4 years, and that was a manufacturing defect.

Cheers

John
    ------------------
    2004 3.2 Man, Formula Red. Now Sold and not missed as much as expected. Life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Nope, good semi or fully synthetic oil will easily cope with both of those uses over a year or normal mileage.
    I am not sure but cheap insurance and I get to have a look at the undercarriage.

Quote Originally Posted by bernev View Post
    .......... You might have seen my other post on getting the belt done and finding someone who will take the necessary care. The trouble with garage queens are that they are very particular about this! ...
    Hi and good to hear from another owner.

I've only just spotted this thread and noted your question had gone un-anaswered. It may now have been addressed in the other thread, but for completeness, I would without hesiitation recommend you discuss your requirements for maintenance with Kaz. You can contact him through the Health Check thread.

I look forward to meeting you and seeing your original low mieage NSX.

Regards,

Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Quote Originally Posted by JQD84983 View Post
    It all depends if the molecular chains within the oil become fractured. Our trucks used to go 100Km between oil changes. Samples were taken at this time of changing and the oil was still in relatively good condition.

They were working 24/7 and covering 4-5000km per week, so I accept that cold starting can lead to more engine wear as the oil has time to drain away when stood, but i doubt the oil itself has deteriorated.

And in case your wondering out of 100 trucks we had only one major engine failure in 4 years, and that was a manufacturing defect.

Cheers

John
    Fascinating stuff - which makes of truck do you run?

VTEC apparently can be quite hard on oil; they seem to dirty it quickly at higher mileages (hydrocarbon by-products blowing by the rings, I have read) which means I often give the cars an interim change, despite ridiculously low mileages.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Graves View Post
    Fascinating stuff - which makes of truck do you run?

VTEC apparently can be quite hard on oil; they seem to dirty it quickly at higher mileages (hydrocarbon by-products blowing by the rings, I have read) which means I often give the cars an interim change, despite ridiculously low mileages.
    That particular example was Mercedes Benz 1843 Actros Vee 6's. 430Bhp, fully automatic. A great truck no doubt.
    ------------------
    2004 3.2 Man, Formula Red. Now Sold and not missed as much as expected. Life goes on.

Thanks all. It begs to be used today - I'm home early but guess what - it's throwing it down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JQD84983 View Post
    That particular example was Mercedes Benz 1843 Actros Vee 6's. 430Bhp, fully automatic. A great truck no doubt.
    Interesting! Pleased to see the trucks still have it, even in the cars' FREDs have been annoyingly unreliable - until recently anyway. I suppose anyone can make a mistake; Porsche cannot apparently machine an RMS recess consistently and late-model S2000 engines started exploding.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

[QUOTE=markc;74652]Good quality modern engine oil will easily last and provide proper protection for a year almost regardless of how/where the car is kept. Unless you do big mileage changing the oil every year or 12k miles is quite sufficient.

Just out of interest, why do you need to change the oil every year if it hasn't done the 12K miles? Does it deteriorate with time?

Cheers,

Andy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast