Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chipped Paint

Unhappy Chipped Paint

On Sunday i was giving my pride and joy a post Japfest clean and wax and accidently caught my watch strap on the rear spoiler, taking a small chip of paint off of the edge (aarrgghhh).

Has anyone used a touch up stick to repair such an issue ? Where can i source the paint in the UK ? Y-52P is the code.

Saw a few places in the US when searching the web, any recommendations/advice appreciated.

Thanks

Henry

The Honda touch-up is normally pretty average. However, as long as it's close I'd suggest using it sparingly then build it up with laquer.
    Alternatively, you could get your local paintshop to mix you up some.
    Just make sure you get rid of any wax from the area before you start.

Cheers,

James
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

3. Default

Hi Henry,

One of my friends before recommended using this company:

http://drcolorchip.com/

they are based in the US, he saw it being used at a show here and thought the product was amazing, but you can only buy directly from them. I was tempted to buy some from them and try it out. has anyone here used them before?

See what you think?

Cheers,

Andy

Believe it or not Halfords make up any colour providing you have the code No
    I had a spray can of Charlotte Green made up cost about £14 and the colour match is perfect.
    For touch ups and chips, spray a small amount of paint into the can lid and using a small brush just build up with several layers of paint, when dry, carfully remove any excess around the chip with very fine wet and dry and polish.
    I've found this to give a better finish and colour match than using the Honda touch up paint

Get a pencil with a rubber on the end, a hole punch & some 2000 grit Wet & dry.

Hole punch the paper & superglue it (the circle!) on the rubber.

You've now the ideal tool for feathering the edges of the chip, and for flatting off the blob of paint once it's dried down, without flatting the rest of the spoiler.

With a bit of patience, the chip should be hard to detect. Well, only you'll see it!
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Nick, this sounds like a good idea, but have you tried it on your car(s). Won't the rubber pop off or do you superglue this to the top of the pencil too?
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Yeah have to agree!

Got the paint from Halfords also for a few cars over the years and match was perfect, they also give you a big tub with brush and small pen with a very fine brush so your covered for all types of small marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B N View Post
    Believe it or not Halfords make up any colour providing you have the code No
    I had a spray can of Charlotte Green made up cost about £14 and the colour match is perfect.
    For touch ups and chips, spray a small amount of paint into the can lid and using a small brush just build up with several layers of paint, when dry, carfully remove any excess around the chip with very fine wet and dry and polish.
    I've found this to give a better finish and colour match than using the Honda touch up paint
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

Cool Thanks to all

Thanks for all of your replies and advice, I'll go with the halfords option..

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by TheSebringOne View Post
    Nick, this sounds like a good idea, but have you tried it on your car(s). Won't the rubber pop off or do you superglue this to the top of the pencil too?
    Think of a milkman's ear! The pencil rubber is metal-crimped to the end of the hexagonal pencil. By supergluing the W&D circle, you've basically got a valve grinding-in tool for paint blobs. Use the same reciprocating rotational movement.

I use it all the time. I find using a bit of swirl-remover on the W&D helps the smoothing process, once you've got it basically level. Berlina black is a bit demanding of a good finish. Supermarine blue's a lot more forgiving.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

When I say I use it all the time, I don't mean I'm forever damaging the cars. Even though I do seem to attract stones like some sort of lithological magnet.
    Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast