Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EPS

Default EPS

Hi,

had my 96' NSX for less than two days and now have the EPS light on and no power-steering.
    I tried to reset the EPS by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery which got rid of the warning light, but as soon as I operated the steering it came on again.
    Originally I thought that no PAS was very bad, but after driving the car on Sunday I may actually prefer it!
    OK so slow speed stuff is a pain but once out on the road, the extra weight and feel made the drive more involving.
    However, I should really get it fixed so I'm going to my local dealer to get the fault codes checked out.
    During my search for answers yesterday, I found this link on NSX Prime which describes the EPS system if anyone's interested:

[b]http:/www.nsxprime.com/FAQ?Technical/eps.htm

I will keep you posted to the outcome at the dealer i.e; what the problem was and how much money it will cost. If it's silly expensive, I'm going to start weight lifting!
    Alternatively, if anyone else has experienced this problem, please let me know.

Regards, James.

James,
    Prior to taking the car to a dealer, check the fault code yourself, at least then part of the dealers charge will confirm or otherwise your ability to count.
    If you pull back the leading (front) edge of the passenger foot well carpet you will see the service check connector, that plus a bent paper clip to short it out is all that is required. Honest. The full instructions plus what the codes mean can be found via prime as the full service manual for the earlier cars that is posted there.
    I found that I took half a dozen attempts at swiching the ignition on and then counting the "dots and dashes" that the warning light will make before I got my eye in fully. 10 to 15 minuites at zero cost to discover the bad news!
    To clear the EPS memory; pulling the clock fuse is quicker and easier than trying to disconnect the battery, again; see the service manual.
    Best of luck,
    Duncan

Default EPS

Wow, thanks for the advice Duncan,

I'll give it a try tomorrow and see what happens.
    Do you think that driving the car without the EPS working will damage it?

Best regards,

James.

Default EPS

Hi Duncan,

As you suggested I surfed NSX Prime looking for info. on EPS.
    Whilst on the site I read some postings regarding 'moving/adjusting the steering wheel whilst starting the car.'
    Anyway, about a second before starting the car on saturday, I moved/ repositioned the steering wheel and that's when the EPS light came on and I lost my steering!
    It turns out that there was a recall in the States for this problem and looking at the NSXP forum it appears that many different model years were effected.
    Anyway, I crept up to the garage tonight and took out the clock fuse, replaced it after 10-15 seconds, de-armed the imobilser, turned on the ignition, and started her up.
    The EPS light disapeared and I now have power steering!!!!

Fantastic.

The moral of this story then, 'Don't mess around with your wheel during start-up!!'

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

James.

As I suspected, nothing lasts forever.
    The EPS light is back on again and the quick fix of taking the fuse out has ceased to work.
    So I bit the bullet and went to Eastgate Honda to get a diagnosis.
    Unfortunately, a relay has gone in the EPS control box. I suppose technically it may be possible replace this part but I'm not sure who to ask really.
    The other alternative is to buy a new control unit! Apparently, Eastgate Honda have replaced about half a dozen of these boxes in the last few years and they said there is a chance Honda would meet me halfway on the cost of the item (However, the recall for this problem was limited to America so I'm not sure).
    Anyway, If anyone has a spare EPS control unit or is bored with power steering and wants to donate the one from their car?? ha, ha. please let me know.
    Finally, 10 points for the person who can guess to the nearest hundred how much a new control unit will cost.

Cheers,

James.

Anyone........?

7. Default

£1,300??

Ladies and gentlemen at only £5.00 away from the target price, Ultraviolet, you are our winner!!!

Cheers, James.

9. Default

Lol - complete guess too!!

What do I win? Cuddly Toy? A Cappuchino at the Gaydon meet if you make it along? :wink:

Gaydon meet?

That is a serious amountof money James :shock: , hope you can find an alternative way around it....

Matt.
    From my mentor: 'Remember, with great power, comes great responsibility' K.Cooke 2007

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast